Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

Oh, Good Grief!
    Jax Beer!
    When I ws a kids, I used to stay up late, (About 10:15pm) just to watch the Jax commercials during the late weather reports. Those were the funniest ads that I have ever seen and several still stick out in my mind.
    Of course the humor was politically incorrect, but who cared? It was the early to mid-1960's, fer cryin' out loud!
    I wonder if there is an online archive of their ads somewhere?
    Anyone know?

Robert

2. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

Nah. Pintos were better than most people thought. I've had six over the years with no fires, or other major problems. I bought a 74 and got hit in the rear by a new Buick century on the way home from the dealer.
    The Century was totaled and the grille was right next to the firewall, and the driver was seriously injured. My pinto only got some scratched chrome on the bumper, and I was unhurt. He was doing about 40 according to the cops and I was stopped at a red light. Pushed me almost all of the way across the intersection, but thankfully, there was no cross traffic.
    I took the car back to Arthur Harris Ford in Midwest City where I bought it and had them inspect it. Absolutely no damage, except to the bumper, which they replaced right then at no cost.
    I got over 220,000 miles out of that car before it finally just gave up one day.
    I like Pintos. Every one that I have had has gone well over 100,000 miles. You can't say that about too many cars of the era.

Robert

3. I miss the "good old days" when you could tell the make of the car by the sounds it made.

4. 4everblue

4everblue

Dang that's nice! A friend of mine drove one similar in High School, great car, rode like a dream, beat all the 283's and got 24 mpg!

5. Wow! Don't think I've ever seen one in RED!!! I'm in love!!!! ^^^^^^^

6. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

7. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

You Tube .................

8. My brothers 69 Camaro was lost in the flood at this same intersection. I think there were about 220 people killed in the flood. There were a bunch of homes and business destroyed. They had refrigerated semi trailers parked at the funeral homes for the bodies.

9. Desert Dan

Desert Dan
    from So. CA

10. willyslancs

willyslancs
    from u.k

has anyone got anymore ww 2 production lines with gmc trucks on?

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ted Cassidy - "Rules? In a knife fight?"

12. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

The only building that survives in this photo is the bank at the rear of this picture. The others are all gone. [​IMG]

13. Scumdog

Scumdog

I've noticed that too in thos old pics.

Too much crappy, greasy fast food served on oversized portions combined with a lazy-arsed couch-potato lifestyle is what's done it...

And it's a shame...

14. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

Obviously you and your family survived a terrible natural disaster and I am glad of it. We had one here in Oklahoma this week, two actually. The tornado that ripped through Moore Monday afternoon was an EF-5 and the devastation is just terrible. Moore looks like Berlin did at the end of May, 1945.
    Thankfully, we Oklahoman's are well aware of just how rapidly a tornado can spin up and when the conditions are ripe, we keep a close eye on the sky and an ear tuned to the radio or TV.
    That flood must had been terrible to behold. I think that a flood scares me even more than tornados do. Not by much, but by some.

I'd kind of like to see a photo of that location today and see how much has changed. It might be interesting.

Robert

15. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

I agree. When I was a kid back in the late 50's-early 60's, you just didn't see the number of morbidly obese people that you do today. Adults or kids. I think that I can remember just one really fat kid in school and he was miserably unhappy. I later learned that he had to be permanently hospitalized because he was suicidal. Sad, isn't it?
    But fat kids were a real rarity then. Fat adults, too.
    What in the hell happened?
    :confused::confused::confused:

Now they're everywhere. I went to Wal-Mart today and I couldn't believe it. A whole group of hugely fat people came in in a group to shop and it was like a horde of locusts went through certain sections of the store. They decimated the snack food aisles, Soda pop, chips, candy, frozen pizzas, etc. almost all gone.
    I was lucky to get the few items I came in for before getting the heck out of there. If you reached past them to try and take something from the shelf, several would literally growl at you.
    That was the scariest shopping trip that I've ever been on and if I see them again at the store, I'll wait until much later or the next day to try my luck.
    I don't want to have an arm bitten off while reaching for a jar of peanut butter!:eek:

Robert

16. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

This car has an interesting role in the history of the United States at the outbreak of World War II.
    The car had been seized by the Feds when All was sent to the Big House for tax evasion. It was used very little while the government maintained it.
    When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the Secret Service realized that they had no secure method of transporting FDR around Washington.
    So they commandeered this car to drive him to the Capitol on December 8 to give his "Day of Infamy" speech before both houses of Congress. Thus a famous gangster's car played a small but important role in American history.

Here's another version of this story:

"I hope Mr. Capone won’t mind."
    — FDR, when a reporter told him where the car came from

Hours after Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the Secret Service found themselves in a bind. President Franklin D Roosevelt was to give his infamy speech to Congress the next day, and although the trip from the White House to Capitol Hill was short, agents weren’t sure how to transport him safely.
    The White House did already have a specially built limousine for the president that he regularly used, it wasn’t bulletproof, and the Secret Service realized this could be a major problem now that the country was at war. FDR’s speech was to take place at noon December 8th, and time was running out. They had to procure an armored car, and fast.
    There was one slight problem. US government rules at the time restricted the purchase of any vehicle that cost more than $750 ($10,455 in today’s dollars). It was pretty obvious that they weren’t going to get an armored car that cheap, and certainly not in less than a day.
    One Secret Service agent was a quick thinker. The federal government did already have in its possession a car that just might fit the bill: Al Capone’s, which had been sitting in a Treasury Department parking lot ever since it had been seized from the infamous mobster during the IRS’ tax evasion suit years earlier.
    Capone’s car was a sight to behold. It had been painted black and green so as to look identical to Chicago’s police cars at the time. It also had a specially installed siren and flashing lights hidden behind the grille, along with a police scanner radio. To top it off, the gangster’s 1928 Cadillac 341A Town Sedan had 3,000 pounds of armor and inch-thick bulletproof windows. Mechanics are said to have cleaned and checked each feature of the Caddy well into the night of December 7th, to make sure that it would run properly the next day for the Commander in Chief.
    SOURCE: http://worldhistoryproject.org/1941...illac-used-as-franklin-d-roosevelts-limousine

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/07/31/al-capone-cadillac-sells-for-341000-at-rm-st-johns/

Isn't history fascinating?:rolleyes:

Robert

17. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

ALTERNATE CAPTION:
    "Darn it, Ernie! I told you that making a right turn on a red light was suicide in this town!"

18. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

Actually, Don., Several aviators were buried at sea with their planes. It wasn't normal and the Navy tended to frown upon the acts. But at times, there simply wasn't time to recover the body because of other planes needing to land, the ship was under attack, or other circumstances.
    My step-dad served aboard the Enterprise (CV-6) during late 1944-early 1945 and he told me about this when I was just a kid. He had seen it several times aboard the Big E and other ships.
    I do think that there was only one case where a mortally wounded pilot asked to buried at sea with his plane, which was too badly shot up to be worth salvaging. The captain agreed and he expired while still in the cockpit. The chaplain performed last rites and the ceremony and then the plane was pushed over the side.
    In the other cases, it was just matter of necessity, no matter how unpleasant it was.

FYI.

Robert

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmmm----OK if your dad said so!
    Strange I never heard of this happening during WWII, but I was just 10 in 1942.
    Never heard of this while I was in the USN 1951-1955 either.----Oh well.

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Stuart.Thanks for the info on the "Ghost Car".
    RE:R4360 radial.Tune up could be fun.To start with you have 448 spark plugs to change.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. 56 spark plugs. bad enough.

22. walpolla

walpolla

28 cylinders with 2 plugs per cylinder, equals ------ 56 according to the school I went to.
    All 4 engines ----- 224 plugs.
    Where/ how you get 448????

regards,Rod

23. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

Somehow, Don, I doubt that this was a topic that came up in normal conversation very often. But I have no reason to doubt my step-dad about it because he simply never lied about anything. Besides, I have heard of similar incidents mentioned by Navy vets over the years.
    I think that is was rare enough not to really be common knowledge and I'll wager that the brass discouraged it from being talked about.
    Over time, and with fewer vets every year, it may never be fully documented.
    But, I for one, believe that it did happen. Thankfully, not very often, though.

Robert

24. RCONNER

RCONNER
    from Oklahoma

Rod, do you guys have Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose down there? It's the only 8-engine plane that I know about that uses the R-4360.
    In any case, no matter how many plugs you have to clean/adjust/change, it's a tough job.
    I'm glad that I don't have to do it! I think that I'd quit first!:D

Robert

25. swi66

swi66

26. swi66

swi66

27. swi66

swi66

28. swi66

swi66

29. SouthUrn

SouthUrn