Register now to get rid of these ads!

fast n loud... what does everyone think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classiccarman, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classiccarman

classiccarman

I am 20 years old I just graduated from classic car restoration. What does everyone think about me doing things like fast n loud flipping old cars? Do you think I will make it? I need honest advice. There are a lot of old cars where I live,I can get them pretty cheap too...

2. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

money money money. its a tv show,things dont happen that easy. Not saying it cant happen but the reality of it, it takes money to do what they do.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Not sure. The economy is still in a weird place. Unless you can do EVERYTHING on your own, I don't see the margins being there. Even on their scripted TV show they lose money on some of the deals.

Don't forget, they are being paid to be on the show so putting food on the table doesn't hinge on selling a project.

The sales part seems like it could eat up a ton of your time, which takes away from building cars, which takes away your profits.

Really think about this before moving forward.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I fucking hate television

5. birdman42

birdman42

Maybe do that as a side business while you work at another job to pay the bills.Then after you get your name out there you can look into this as a carreer.

6. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I say give it a shot. You're 20, so it will be a learning experience. Sounds a hell of a lot more fun than working at the mall for $8 an hour. Just be smart about 1.Cost 2.Investment 3.Profit. There's math in there that will keep you afloat.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

I have a good friend that does just that,he flips everthing from cars, engines,wheels, carbs.antiques,he makes a good income from it, it takes a large bank roll and a big shop to work out of,I do the same thing but on a smaller scale with parts to help pay for my old car hobby.

8. I'll comment before this one gets closed,haha.
    Interesting show,BUT,seems fabricated...

I know many guys who make a living flipping cars,but most do it as a second income.

9. 60'coupe

60'coupe

This is going to be a meltdown thread !

10. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

you couldn't possibly do any worse than those douche bags:rolleyes:...at least at building cars...but the business end of it is what will kill you

Remember though, there is no REALITY in reality TV

11. I bet it would be VERY hard to do. you would need some start up money. And how much of there income is due to the TV contract? I watch the show at times and dont see how they could pay expenses with the weeks' profits. I guess they move other cars that are not on the show but who knows.
    Do you think you could get some employees to stay all night working on a car? How many times do they talk about working all night or untill 2 am or some crazy stuff like that? you would have to make the employees parteners to get that type of detication.

12. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I would do it a little different more like "slow and quiet" - like the story of the old bull and the young bull on top of a hill looking down at a pasture full of - well you get the idea . Now show us some of the cars that you can get and that will tell the story...

13. BillyG

BillyG

I hate to discourage youthful ambition and enthusiasm, but I don't think it is such a good idea at this time. Why don't you consider going to work for such a place and learn what not to do and what to do, etc.
    Consider starting small, doing one at a time in off hours at home and keep careful log of time and money, don't forget utilities too. See where you come out at the end. Good luck to you.

14. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Maybe you should just grow a beard like the one twit, and call it a day.

15. randy

randy

Honest advice that I would have liked at your age:

You're 20. You don't know shit yet. Go work for someone who is a great builder and learn EVERYTHING that they know how to do. Don't worry about the size of your paycheck, the skills you'll be gaining are worth triple what anyone could pay you.

Practice. Don't be afraid to fuck something up, but don't walk away until it's fixed. Get involved in everything (including sweeping the floor), have a positive attitude and work as much as they'll let you.

Do that for MANY years.

I did basically what you are considering...Thought I knew enough, started a fab business and STRUGGLED. Lucky for me, I ended up in a few shops in my mid-late 20's with some really talented older guys to learn from. I know now how little I knew then and I still aspire to improve every day.

Good luck.

p.s. Turn off the television...

16. WWinIL

WWinIL

Q: Which happens first?

1. Richard Rawlings making a profit on a flip?

2. Me finishing my sandwich?

3. This thread being closed ?

17. belair

belair

You know how to wind up with a small fortune, don't you?

18. ......Best advice anyone could have given you and I'm glad he got it in before this thread is history. Hopefully you read his advice.

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

Do it now while you don't have a family depending on you or a mortgage over your head.

20. That show isn't realistic. Slick goes and offers someone half what a car is worth and they take the offer. Tripower, big block Corvettes don't sell for 30K. It's not how it works.

How 'bout that other show "Counting Cars", ridiculous. I've noticed in the last few months people stopping me and offering big money for a car I'm in, "I've got a buyer for that" and then coming back with a ridiculous offer.

Like they say, "How to make a million dollars, start with two million."

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't begrudge anyone for flipping something, AT ALL. BUT if people only bought things because they actually wanted them and NOT because of what it may be worth when flipped, this schitt would be far more affordable. I fukk'n hate players and anglers.....sell your soul, get it over with and move to phukk'n D.C., there's a job for you there.

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Work on the media deals first, get them all lined up. You will be rich before you know it.

Right.

23. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

+2
    Can't believe I got in before it got shut down! I'm buying a lottery ticket!

24. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Do it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. 327Eric

327Eric

If you want to have a tax write off based upon your loss, go for it.
    You can go out and find the cars, convince the owner that their car is worth less than the Nada guide, or what they see on shows like Gas Monkey or Barret Jackson, Lie about restoringit, because its your "dream car", or whatever it takes to get the "kill", transport, clean up, and present to your buyers, who will more than likely be dealers with more money than you, who will wait until they think you are despaerate, and lowball you. There is the internet, and dis satisfied customers, don't forget the cost of repair so you don't get sued.
    Then there are the auctions, and the players are just like you see on tv auction shows, all the characters.
    Every now and then, you will get lucky, usually, you will make a small profit, if you can buy right, and often times, you will lose, especially on Modified vehicles.
    Find Niche, or foreign buyer, and supply their client lists.
    It was easier before the internet.
    When you no longer see, or enjoy the cars, and onl see dollar signs, you know you are there.
    Good luck

26. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You do realize that Richard Rawlings sold a family printing business to bank roll his enterprise, and then worked at selling the concept to anyone who would listen!
    I think you should continue to learn your craft under the tutelage of some skilled craftsmen. Learn all that you can, and then take some business courses at your local community college. If after all that you still want to "flip" cars, have at it!
    There are still many opportunities for successful people in this country, but they do their "Dick Tracy" work first.
    I wish you all the success in the world!
    KK

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Go for it, your young, what's the worst that could happen ?
    You'll never know unless you try.

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

Instead of Fast & Loud it should be called Howdy Doody time. Too much drama not much building coverage.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first thing you need to realize is that reality shows are not real, then go from there.

30. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Sounds like how my ex-wife started her businesses. ...all while living on my pay check. We got divorced and guess who's got money to burn. That's right, the guy with the job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.