Register now to get rid of these ads!

New lincoln brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19-c, May 20, 2013.

1. 19-c

19-c

Does anyone happen to know what E-Brake parts the new Lincoln style brakes are using? I know the shoes and other parts have other applications. I believe someone said the shoes are from 70's chevy wagon? How about the Ebrake parts anyone know?? I have a set of fronts that I want to convert to rears. thanks!

2. Call the Boling Bros. They sell them and should be able to give you the skinny.

3. 19-c

19-c

I'm guessing they are probably e brake internals that have another application like the shoes?

4. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The e brake parts are made for the Lincoln application they are not replacement parts modified to fit.

5. Elrod

Elrod

Bob Wilson has the arms made for his...

6. Ole don

Ole don

Do your front backing plates have a place for the holes moulded in?

7. I've got the complete rear axle assembly out of my 48 Lincoln Continental and had no idea that the rear brake assemblies were valuable until some sold here on HAMB a short while ago. I'll have to look at the E-brake assembly.

Wish I could quit moving it around & tripping over it. I'm just too far away to ship it anywhere.

Movin/on

8. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Converting fronts may not be as easy as you think. Real Lincoln rears (actually a Bendix product) are much more common than the fronts as they were used for seven years while the fronts having the same offset as the Ford/Lockheed without the hole for the E-brake was a one year deal, 1941. The aftermarket backing plates not intended to serve as rears do not have that hole which is key to the use of E-brake hardware.

9. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

With CAREFUL measuring and layout, that hole would not be difficult to accurately duplicate. DD

Attached Files:

10. 19-c

19-c

The only difference in the backing plate is the hole for the cable piece to bolt into and run through the backing plate. I just got word back from MT products. I can sure buy the rear e-brake parts alone to convert front brakes for the price of
    $175 plus shipping. haha Well I guess that isnt going to work. I just thought that the internals may have been something that had a common other application. I guess ya just pay the $600 for the rear set up if ya want the e-brake

11. 19-c

19-c

I am talking about the new aftermarket lincoln backing plates. they are identical except for the hole for the cable. I can fit the e-brake parts with no problem at all but for $175 for the parts I guess thats the manufacturers way of making it cost prohibitive to covert front brakes to rears. I just thought maybe there was a chance that the e-brake parts are from another application.

12. Go to Tech arcives. Type in the search box lincoln brakes.
    I would have put up a link but I don't know how.
    Terry

13. 19-c

19-c

does anyone have pics of the lincoln e-brake parts? thanks

14. Andy

Andy

I may still have the parts I took off some rears to use them in the front. I will look tomorrow.
    i was the one that started the whole Chevy wagon brake thing. I never used them with Lincoln/Ford brake drums as they would not work. I had converted 46-48 backing plates to use with Buick drums. The offset and the width would not work with Lincoln backing plates or the drums.

15. 19-c

19-c

Awesome! Thanks Andy!

16. 19-c

19-c

Ok I looked at my new re-pop lincoln brakes and the brake shoes are #PAB430
    I referenced these and this is what applications they have:
    Buick

• Electra: 1968 - 1970
    • Estate Wagon: 1970
    • LeSabre: 1968 - 1970
    • Riviera: 1967 - 1970
    • Wildcat: 1968 - 1970
    I wonder what the e- brake parts look like from one of these rear backing plates. Does anyone have one laying around that could snap a pick? Thanks

17. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The parts you are looking for are similar to the 1939-48 Ford rear emergency brake parts. No they arent repoped so you will have to get them off a donor backing plate.

18. 19-c

19-c

I have a set of 40 Ford e-brake internals. I will try them on for size. I just assumed they were way different because when looking at pics of the new re-pop rears the ebrake strut and lever are new and look very different than a 39-48 ford ebrake part. thanks for your help Dick

19. kirby1374

kirby1374

I was under the impression that these are all 12" Bendix. So if you found one of those cars in the wrecking yard the internals might work. The cable mount and so forth ( whole in the plate etc.) May need some creativity.

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Perhaps these photos of 40 Ford rear brakes and MT rear brakes may help. The assembly and E-brake parts appear to be different.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  21. 19-c

19-c

thanks for the pics 19Forty!

22. 19-c

19-c

This is a rear park brake cable for a 1936 Pontiac. The bolt on flange I would be able to apply to the lincoln brakes. Does anyone have access to a 36 Pontiac parts car or know who might have parts like this avail?

Attached Files:

23. Andy

Andy

I finally found the stuff I took off the Lincoln rears. I found the shoes, levers, springs etc. I probably have the bolt on tubes and cables but they are sill missing. You could make them easy enough. Pm me.

24. Bob Wilson's brakes use a tube welded into the backing plate. The MT brakes use a bolt on bracket that is the same as the original Lincoln.

25. 19-c

19-c

Well thanks to Andy for rounding up the Lincoln e-brake inernals for me! I am still looking for the bolt on cable tube as shown in the picture. I found out that the late 30's GM cars used one similar to this that is very similar and I could modify. If anyone has anything like this laying around I would be interested thanks again everyone!

Attached Files:

26. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

That bolt-on cable looks very similar to 60's Buick e-brake cables. I just got some for my '67 buick backing plates at a local brake shop.

27. 19-c

19-c

Thanks Dak I found a source for the entire cable for several applications that have that bolt on flange but I am having a tough time finding just the flange alone. I am guessing you need to buy the whole cable or I may have to hit the salvage yards.