Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any librarians out there?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by nobrakes, May 19, 2013.

1. nobrakes

nobrakes

Howdy.
    Joining the forum finally after getting my first project... 1955 Mercury Monterey.

Been in Texas pretty much my whole life. Work as a librarian at a university in north Texas. Got two kids; son deployed to Afghanistan TODAY. Am happy to start getting my hands dirty on a car my husband found for me to get my mind off of that. Will be asking lots of questions, so look out.

2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Welcome aboard, thought I recognized that instrument panel in your avatar. I hope you enjoy the car, I think it will make a nice cruiser. Post a pic of the Merc, everyone is gonna ask for one. Hope you get something out of that interior book... Mini bike needs a seat :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nope, don't even know anyone from Libya. Welcome, Lippy

4. Oh,contraire mon amie,,we do have a wealth of information in Bruce Lancaster.HRP

[​IMG]

5. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

My ISBN # is 1947 M5....
    I know that the automobile section is in the 629.000- section?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  6. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Im in Plano with at 56 merc montclair!

7. nobrakes

nobrakes

In Watauga north of Fort Worth! Might be asking you some questions...

So far, have vacuumed out MOST of the rat poo and acorns. Took to car wash to degrease some of the gunk off the bottom. Been doing research on carpet cleaning and seat restoration. Next up: tune up. Going to get new distributor, carb kit, plugs, wires, oil, shebang.
    Also, needs brakes.
    Got the title app in today. Tried to order build sheet but they don't go back that far. Need to decipher the VIN/Body style numbers. That's been a pain.

Attached Files:

8. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Ive got the parts CD that lists everything you every wanted to know about VIN decoding but I have not done mine yet.

Attached Files:

• r6.jpg
      r6.jpg
      File size:
      490.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm a librarian, reference and research at Drew U in New Jersey. My personal library, which is organized by the cats and gravity system, pretty much peters out about 1949. On your questions re decoding your car, you really MUST have the shop manual and parts book, preferably a parts book from the year of you car and not a later one that includes it...shoot me a PM and I'll get you a handle on hunting that stuff down.

10. nobrakes

nobrakes

I've got the shop manual on its way in the mail. Yahoo!

I don't have a personal library except for the stuff for my dissertation, but that's about to go! Starting my car one, though.

11. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

welcome from Rowlett, east of Dallas. Looks like a nice project car.

bill

12. mikejhill

mikejhill

Welcome! If you are looking for great advice your at the right place! you will find a lot of good people here that is eager to help!;) welcome and Enjoy! Nice ride!!

13. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

By the way, I forgot to express my appreciation for the sacrifices your son and his comrades make for this country. I pray he and they all return to us safe and sound.
    I expect you'll both be busy till you meet again.

bill

14. nobrakes

nobrakes

Thanks, Bill - I appreciate it and feel the exact same way. Very proud.

15. Veach

Veach

Welcome from about 100 miles west of you in Mineral Wells Tx Good luck on your Build

16. Welcome from Kerrville, Texas!

17. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I don't have as much experiance with the Y-block Mercs of the mid 50s. Most of my stuff is for the 49 thru 51. I do have a CD with the 1955 Mercury Body Parts Catalog in it. I purchased the CD from Detroit Iron Information Systems. Right in the front matter of the book it has lists that decode the body paint color combos, the body model codes, and the inerior furnishing codes. The code will be on the body or patent plate fixed to the left front body pilar of the door frame.

Mercs are a bit harder to find premade interior kits for so I have to stitch the stuff up myself. I hope yours will clean up at least for a good run or two before needing further attention.

I'm not a librarian but I have a lot of books. Welcome to the HAMB.

18. nobrakes

nobrakes

Thanks a bunch. I've got that manual coming, as well as some paint chip samples (thank you, ebay) and am eager to use the decode information. I have an idea from looking through the paint layers of the original colors. Not sure if I'll go back to that, but it's nice to know.

I also called Ford to see if I could get a build sheet, but they don't have them back that far (customer service told me to go online and order one).

In the meantime, we'll decipher the code, get the exact type of y-block from the caps near the oil pan, and go from there. And wash it. I might need to actually get the dirt off of the body. That would be a start!