Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor choices!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nuthead, May 21, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy for me to spend your money, nuthead.

Every last penny of it...lol.

2. badshifter

badshifter

Almost impossible. There's a reason some choices are popular. Run the 327 and a hood so the dart heads don't show.

3. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

True. Probably best bang for buck.

4. Weasel

Weasel

Those look like Autolite Inlines to me - not Webers - is my eyesight failing?;)

5. kracker36

kracker36

UUUUmm--------yes.

6. BobMcD

BobMcD

I'd go with the 327.

7. Dapostman

Dapostman

Since it's your money, Lincoln V-12.

8. Whatever engine that would turn your "A" (photo #1) into deuce (photo #2). Then let me know so I can do it ! I say 427 side-oiler, but hey it's not my money.

9. kracker36

kracker36

Or a 302 Ford crank in a 302 Ford block. :D

10. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

Just the style I'm going for, not the exact car.

11. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

Got that pic from looking up cross boss intake. Have a connection I'm going to contact about single or duel cross boss setup. Don't even know if thats possible on my budget.

12. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

As a fellow Ford guy, it would be mighty hard for me to open my hood and see a SBC in my car....and then look over to see a Boss 302 sitting in the corner of the garage!!

13. Weasel

Weasel

$$$$$ - about $2k for the intake alone last time I looked and the same for an Autolite Inline. Whether DOZX9510 A (875 cfm) or B (1425 cfm) they are not really good for street use - great for WOT @ 7000 RPM at Talladega though. I had a pair of Inlines and Art Chrisman's comment was "Nice pair of book ends". Craig Railsback at BDS converted an Autolite inline in a Cross Boss single top intake to EFI by mchining an injector plate to sandwich between the carb and the intake top and just used the inline carb as an air pump. You could also look for a Bud Moore torque box or maxi box and then make your own top plate to run whatever carbs or injection you want....

14. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Ditto!

15. I would use the Boss 302.

Restore the engine to stock appearance... plop it in = bitchenest motor choice for 2013.

But you're going to have to ditch the lame tall skinny tires.

I vote for 8" slot mags all around, with n50-15's out back and a G60 up front.

I'm serious.

Sam

16. I'm a CHEVY GUY... and I agree whole heartedly!

Sam

17. 1) everyone on this thread understands completely that the sbc is the fastest and cheapest way to get power and to some degree, good looks. But, EVERY BODY and their damn dog has one.
    2) if you are going to be different and attract attention, then DO NOT use an sbc, no matter the year or size. To most and sbc is an sbc is an sbc is an sbc..................
    3) to be different, yes it will cost you more in money and time. So what if that is what you want.
    4) PLEASE, if that is a real BOSS 302, do not screw it up. Use it as is or keep it as is for use later, but don't go changing it.
    5) you want different? want monster torque? want good looks? use a MEL. they can be had cheap and can be built rather cheap if you know what you are doing. and, there are in-fact after market parts available

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the record I didn't want to come off as a dickhead troll. A "68 Boss" could have possibly been an early 302 Tunnel Port as used in SCCA racing. Not so much in line with mainstream traditionalists, but the kool factor is way off the hook. Value? In that ilk it might have just built the whole car.

All that aside, in a light car a 69 Boss 302 wouldn't be a bad motor at all. I drove one daily with 4.30 gears and I dearly miss that car. Probably the most torque under 350 cubes I've ever experienced, but in all fairness it wasn't "born-Ford stock" either. As bad ass as it is, not the right engine for an early hot rod in my eyes. I'd rather see it dumped into a road race inspired early Mustang. You have the 2nd most recognized, popular, best fitting, high horsepower, good looking, user friendly, easy to service...

19. tjmercury

tjmercury

Boss302........just to be different!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Man, take it from me, if your rich, sell em and build and FE. If your not rich, sell that awesome 327 to someone who can appreciate it, and use that BOSS. Thats the coolest.

Who the hell EVER runs across a boss 302 that isn't in some f'n show ponie...

Good luck mate.
    Cheers and beers
    Hodge

21. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

Thanks for all info guys, I appreciate it. I will post pics of Boss when we pull it out this weekend.

22. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

Well my Dad just called. He started cleaning so we could pull Boss motor out of corner & found a Toploader trans with old Hurst shifter,scatter shield,Pressure plate & flywheel for Boss motor!

23. afaulk

afaulk

Put a Ford in a Ford.

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

BOSS MOTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO question !!!!!

4TTRUK

25. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Sounds like fate!

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Using what you have I'd run the boss.

27. Have one in my deuce roadster.
    [​IMG]

28. Although ford in a ford is nice, its a 302... another 302

29. No just a 302 a "BOSS 302"
    And yes a Ford in a Ford is kinda nice.
    That being said I do have a blown 350 SBC
    in my 3 window guess im playing on both sides of the fence.