Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad's 1964 Fairlane Drag Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mediumriser, May 5, 2013.

1. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I will start with alittle back story. Dad bought a nice 399 stroker short block. Pop-ups aluminium rods the whole 9. We had a caged 86 mustang chassis so we bought some Edelbrock heads and through it together. Car ran 10.40's but chassis was flexing badly. Over the winter we did chassis work. First time out launched hard spun through 1st, 2nd, into 3rd. BOOM!!!!!!!!!! A piece of Malary? metal came out of the crank, DESTROYED everything.
    Engine builder said he would make it right. Dad decided he didn't want to put all these B.A. parts in a FoxBody so he bought this out of Arizona.
    [​IMG]

2. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

As soon as we got it my buddy Dave went to work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Dad wanted the cage to be NON visible from the side. He also wanted to retain all of the interior. He is going for that Super Stock look.
    NO we are not building a THUNDERBOLT clone.

4. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Got the underside cleaned up and painted. Orders complete CalTrax kit. and got rear end installed.
    [​IMG]

5. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

My buddy Mike stopped by to check out the progress and ended up painting the bay.
    [​IMG]

6. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

We race with the United Manual Transmission Racers. We run a Liberty Pro Shifted Top Loader. Dad made a clutch set-up for his cousin using a FoxBody clutch cable and a pedal quadrant he made. It works realy well so the same thing is going in the Fairlane. I will get pics of that when we are done making it. Super simple and works awesome. Good for 10.20's in a 62 Chevy 2 with a Jerico.

7. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Sounds like he's moving along and this is gonna be a nice project.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very cool car, John Calvert will be proud :)

9. eppster

eppster

I like it !!!

10. 65COMET

65COMET

I hate to give you the bad news but NHRA will not allow that roll cage! The bends need to be mandrel bends,not pinched.If you are running non-NHRA tracks check with their tech inspectors for their rules.I have raced AHRA and NHRA for way too many years,been through a lot of inspections! My 10 point cage is mild steel,all mandrel bends. ROY.

11. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

Nice Fairlane build you have going with your Dad.

12. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

It was built with a ProTools Mandrel Bender. Same guy biult a cage for a 9 second Nissan and it passed NHRA CERT.

13. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Dropped it off at the body man last week. I was really surprised how good he got that OLD Crite's glass to fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

For some reason I like it.:D Official member of the Jay Teitz super fan club. HE can shift a little bit!

15. BillWallace

BillWallace

Please point out the rule in the NHRA rule book that states all bends would have to be mandrel bends in roll cage construction.

16. Looks good to me,,I like the old Fairlanes as Ford built them,as Thunderbolts and as clones,,anyway you build them they look good. HRP

17. 63Compact

63Compact

Sweet Fairlane

18. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Here is a teaser. It is at the shop having headers made. Then home to finish assembly.
    [​IMG]

19. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Been awhile. All that's left to do is install trim and interior. Don't pay attention to the rear wheels, need to drill the rear Americans and mount the slicks.
    [​IMG]

20. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Here is a video of my son firing it up for the first time. He is so excited to see this thing go down the track. It's all he talks about.
    [​IMG]

21. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Here are the headers a fellow racer made.
    [​IMG]
    Dad decided to go a different route on the transmission, we rebuilt Jerico dr4.
    [​IMG]
    Engine is a 406 Windsor HUGE solid roller cam, Edelbrock heads, I talked him into the vacuum pump set-up. Tried to keep it clean and simple, I bought him those valve covers last year for his Bday. Still have to have Quick Fuel spec or build a carb for this engine, builder is saying in the 950cfm range.
    [​IMG]

22. 3 pedal cars are the best.