Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kilroy was here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, May 20, 2013.

1. Lild

Lild

Thanks for the history lesson. Ive seen/heard the art work/phrase a few times and never knew what it was about.

2. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

ha. i'm only 29 and remember seeing that at my grandparents house someplace. i remember drawing it too but didn't know the meaning. thanks for info!

3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I've seen that image and phrase in various places since I was a kid, but never knew the background story. I just thought it was a made-up character. Great story.

I wonder how many people have seen the movie "Kelly's heroes" and wondered what that image in the very last scene was all about. Of course, there was also a personal message from "oddball" to go with it!

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

And as Paul Harvey would say...... "And now YOU know...... the rest of the story"
    Thanks for the great history lesson. I had seen the image many times but never knew the story behind it!
    KK

5. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Years ago I asked my Dad about that and he told me he saw it on the planes,weaponry and buildings in the Philippines where he served.
    Interesting story of how the image came about!

6. fredmotorco

fredmotorco

Well worth the read! Great story about a time that's too often forgotten.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. SChotrodder

SChotrodder

Was working with my Dad one and he drew Killroy on a board. He was in the Army for 30 years and said he saw Killroy all over the world. Never new where it came from. Great history lesson.

8. Got mine from my dad, many years ago. I never got his story from WWII.

Attached Files:

9. spaner

spaner
    from australia

i'v seen that over here when I was a kid but it was the same drawing with the face over a brick wall but was called '' foo has struck '' . but was from English 2nd world war origin. I am not a pom .

10. Jebo

Jebo

I have read that Hitler put a reward out for this "super GI"

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. [​IMG]

this is in the drivers compartment of the racecar.

I should have known he would show up here on the HAMB

12. they've got great burgers:D

13. Call me the party pooper, but I could have gone the rest of my life not knowing the real story, as great as it is. I knew it was rooted in WWII somewhere but never the details. It should have been left as one of life's great mysteries in my opinion, which is worth about nothing. I now have a new mission at work though ;)