Register now to get rid of these ads!

gas tank 1949 dodge wayfarer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classiccarman, May 21, 2013.

1. classiccarman

classiccarman

My gas tank is shot in my 1949 dodge wayfarer what kind of gas tank did everyone use? Im sure im going to have to use a fuel cell but what kind should I get?

2. charlieb66

charlieb66

On my 49 DeSoto I used a tank from a early model Mustang, 69 I think, 1" square tube framework, and the filler is hidden away in the trunk. This was my way of eliminating the fender mounted filler cap.

3. i used a mustang tank in my 51 plymouth as well.

4. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I used a tank from a jeep cherokee was able to use origanal fill hole. 49 dodge business coupe.

5. classiccarman

classiccarman

do you know what year Cherokee by chance?

6. junkmonger

junkmonger

I had a '49 Wayfarer business coupe, and I used a 60's pickup truck tank and mounted it vertically behind the seat under the package tray. I relocated the filler on the catwalk behind the back window, and filled the hole in the fender. It was a pretty easy fix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  7. daliant

daliant

An early mustang tank is probably the cheapest way to go using new parts, I have one in my 46 plymouth.