Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering a "composite built" car in CT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low-n-slo54, May 20, 2013.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Hey guys. I just started building a 'glass T today. I'm sure I'll have more questions but just one for now. In CT, you are required to have certificates of titles for each vehicle any major components come from (i.e. driveline stuff). How likely is a salvage yard to keep or give copies of certificates of title to a customer? I will need any advice I can get, not just answers to this one question.

I don't want to get to far into it and not be able to get it legal because of a paper work issue.

Thanks in advance fellas!

2. What if you buy an engine or trans or any driveline component from a builder or some online source? They are not going to give you the title to the car that the block, transmission, rear end or whatever came out of. The salvage yards have to turn in the titles, so you are not going to get it from them. Are you sure that you read the DMV rules correctly? Seems pretty dumb to me, but clear and rational thinking is not a hallmark of any gubment run agency.

3. Fenders

Fenders

There are at least 5 major components in any car -- if CT requires the yard to give the title to the buyer of each of those separate items, then CT is super fucked up, and you can tell the CT DMV I said so.

4. F&J

F&J

you could not pay me enough to go get a composite inspection in Wethersfield.

You need to talk with someone who did get a T bucket through there, before you do any more. Also, there is a CTDMV website with some info.

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Here are the rules straight from the CT DMV website

What to do:
    Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection. All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield inspection lane between 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Note: all lanes will be closed from noon to 1 p.m.)
    Note: Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer. If vehicle is validly registered and titled out of state as "composite", then only a courtesy inspection is required at no charge. Weth. only.
    All composite vehicles are exempt from an emissions test.
    Bring the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component part
    OR
    Bring one Title, plus receipts for the parts of the other vehicles used. If the parts are from used vehicles, make sure the receipts specify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). No Title is needed for non-major component parts (examples of major parts are: engine, cowls, transmission, frame, doors, trunk lid, front and rear fenders and quarter panels).
    Complete an Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle (form R-95)
    Two photographs of the vehicle as well as supporting documents showing proof of ownership.
    Complete an Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (form H-13)
    At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built or the year of a previously manufactured vehicle that it most closely resembles. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."
    What it will cost:
    $88
    A fee of $50 is charged for the assignment of a VIN.
    All composite vehicles (except motorcycles) presented for a composite inspection will be required to be equipped with the following emissions systems based on the year of manufacture of the engine used in construction.

Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection.

Note: This requirement will not apply to vehicles with engines purchased prior to August 1, 2008. Documented proof of engine year and purchase date must still be provided at time of inspection.

All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after):

Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 – 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 – 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT

1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

1996 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

All Medium Duty Vehicles (under 10,001 lbs GVWR but greater than Lt. Duty till 2004 then under 14,001 but greater than Lt. Duty) with Gasoline Engine were equipped with the controls indicated below:

Pre - 1966 None

1966 – 1979 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1980 – 1984 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1985 – 1992 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1993 – 2004 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

2005 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

6. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Sounds like trouble. Thanks for the advice! I may just take it to KS. Still have property there.

7. F&J

F&J

Well, here is more:

Let's say you had a stock gennie T, and put antique reg on it...the yearly property tax in your town will be dirt cheap, because it was wriiten into the state statutes years ago. You get "protected" just like the guys with Duesenbergs.

If you go composite, it will be a "2013" if you tag it this year. You'd better find out how they will assess that type of build, as you may be in shock when you get the yearly bill from the town. Someone in authority will put a value on it, but I don't know who. They sure won't let you claim it's worth a grand or two.

Try to find a local guy who just went through this, at a local cruise or show.

8. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Don't do it. Get yourself some numbers and go that route. Then all you need is a vin verification, a bill of sale and an insurance card.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I used to prep some t-buckets for customers of Total Performance to get through composite inspection and it is a huge pain and very time consuming.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. That's the best way!

11. Agreed.

12. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Can you get the car titled in another State and then transfer it over?

When I was a kid everyone would title hot rods in Illinois because outside Cook County there was no emissions BS. You'd get a bona fide place of business in East St. Louis or Quincy or Galesburg, e.g, an Amway or Amsoil dealership and a post office box at the PO. Then take all your receipts and a bill of sale and get it licensed there, then take it back to Missouri. Way faster.
    \

13. F&J

F&J

No title needed in CT on pre '81. If you do show up at DMV with a title, they confiscate it, and will not issue a new one...........because there are no titles on pre 81 :).

In his case, it is a lack of a "pre-existing car", so it has no serial number/VIN. That's why he wanted to try composite register. Once you do pass the composite inspection, you would get what is called a "CT Number". It takes the place of a factory applied number, and is acceptable to the other 49 states if he sold the car later.

14. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Then if you move to a normal state how do you get a title again? Sounds awkward at best.

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Please forgive my ignorance. The numbers I would need are on the frame correct?

16. F&J

F&J

Not all states treat "title-exempt" CT cars equal. Some states will take a CT car without any current registration from the seller.

But most states want a CT car to have the original, current registration paper before they will register it.

It causes lots of questions from potential buyers, when we CT sellers, try to sell to other states.

CT is strange, always was; There were no titles on new cars until 1959, according to DMV when I tried researching a 57 Olds I had in the 80s.

Then titles were mandatory from that point onwards, and if a car was already registered in CT at that time of the new title law, you would get a title in the mail for your present car.

Then we needed titles for new and used cars up until 15? years ago?...and they did away with titles on pre 81...good grief, try explaining all of that to an out of state buyer :)

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

If that is were you stamp them, that is were they will be. :rolleyes: Bob

18. F&J

F&J

I am not sure if Model T had a frame number. I do know Model A did.

When and if you were to get a vin verification, that does not have to be done at a DMV location. (but they also can do that there) It can be verified by liscensed garages, and by law enforcement officers, judges, etc. But you'd be hard pressed to get one of those people to do it.

Best to go to a garage, instead of DMV..if you know what I mean.

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Call up WINTEC fabrication in Wallingford CT 203-294-1339
    they build "T's" so they should be very helpful

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  20. For what it is worth, I have registered three cars here in CT that were old enough to not need titles and all coming from out of state. On the first two, when I showed them the title from out of state and they had time to review it, I asked the person for it back. I simply explained that I understood that it was basically worthless to anyone. But that if/when I sold it to someone from out of CT it would help them get through the red tape. In both cases they handed me the title right back.

On my 32, I never showed it to them. Just in case they gave me a hard time about it. I wanted to have a clear 32 title in my possession and not lose it forever to the DMV. And of course, because CT is a non title state I didn't need it to register the car.

Glenn

21. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

The T Im building for my buddy has frame numbers. They are on the passenger side just behind the first body mount. I think its a 5 or 6 digit number.

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Cool! So it looks like I should picking up an original frame then. Before I do that I will call Wintec.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Called Wintec Fab. The advice they gave me was: buy a cheap vehicle off of C-list, part it out, jump through the states hoops, register T, scrap the donor vehicle, have fun. Just keep documentation of everything.

24. Deloc

Deloc

Got a relative or close friend in a nontitle state? Have them register it there then "sell" it back to you.Worked for me.
    Deloc

25. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

if you or someone you know,knows a state cop have him or her sign the vin verification papers,you can get the papers off the computer,find an old vin tag or buy one