Register now to get rid of these ads!

Root Beer brown?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InstantT, May 19, 2013.

1. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

Root Beer useta look good

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That is exceptionally nice. Great work.

3. 48cad

48cad

Thanks for the nice compliments. InstantT your correct, it is a difficult color to photograph well to get a true representation as it is seen in person. I don't know why as my photography experience is null.

4. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Billa,

Can you post a close up sunlight shot of the darker brown shade? That looks to be exactly what I remember seeing so often. Please, please, please:D

5. Jogyver

Jogyver

Toyota Venza- Sunset Bronze Mica Clearcoat 4U3

6. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Would this be a candy as well?
    [​IMG]
    Trying to avoid going to a candy due to the difficulty in colour matching exactly for a repair.
    I think this is a candy too?
    [​IMG]

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

48cad, any pictures of the caddy with the top up. that is one sexy ride..

8. I think you nailed it with this, I was thing of paining my model a this color

9. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

The stock color of my 76 chevy van was metallic rootbeer!

10. derelict

derelict

The Falcon had about 20% more metallic added to '64 pontiac root beer brown...

Attached Files:

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Is it just me or does the car look longer on the cement compared to the grass? Amazing what a slight change in angle does for a pic.

Beautiful by the way... :cool: I agree, root beer looks bitchin on curves. My buddy had a 54 Chevy truck that was root beer back in the 70's I lusted for that truck bad.

12. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Root beer to me was strictly a Mopar thing, like Turbine Bronze and that traffic-cone yellow.

13. The experimental Chrysler Turbine Car had a good brown, may be a little light though...

14. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

That was Turbine Bronze. The offered it as a factory color later but it was darker than the actual TCs, no two of which in existence today are quite the same color because it seems to have faded differently.

I did a guitar in Turbine Bronze once, I got the color code from the turbine car service manual. It was called "Fire Frost" from the paint supplier and when the owner of the guitar compared it to the TC in the St. Louis museum they were off quite a bit. He was displeased. I told him I had seen that car and a couple at Chrysler and no two matched either....I can't remember if it was Ditzler or DuPont. I know it took a month to harden enough to where I was happy to buff it out.

15. Wow. I was always really interested in the turbine car and its history, the color was my favriote thing about it other than the turbine!

16. coppertone

coppertone

The scallops on mine are House of Kolor Root Beer Candy. Always loved that color.

Attached Files:

17. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lincoln had a color very close to these in the mid '70's.

18. To my eyes, most of these shown so far do not have enough red in them...the Steve Kormondy Deuce Coupe in TRJ #57 seems to nail it for me...paint by The Hot Rod Garage in Sandy Springs,OK...

http://www.roddersjournal.com/images/TRJ-57b.jpg

19. Bart78

Bart78

20. Veach

Veach

The Rides on this post are Beautiful and I Love the Color

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, could you imagine this color on a '39/'40??!! Whoh!

22. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I researched the Gammel coupe a bit, and it says it is Cordova brown. I don't want a candy because I beat on my cars, but candy does make the best root beer. So I am thinking Cordova brown with some tangerine pearl in it. Maybe it will glow the way I want.

23. DrJ

DrJ

My first car I bought for myself was "Seafoam Green" and I hated it for about two weeks when I saw this Cordovan(?) Brown on a new '67 Riviera on the showroom floor at the local Buick dealer.
    I went in and got the paint code off the firewall and went to the paint store and bought a gallon of it and painted the car in the driveway the next day.
    It's not Candy Root Beer, but it's close, and it will last longer on a driver.
    [​IMG]

Elcohaulic likes this.
  24. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I still can't get over this color! Not what I'm looking for, but gee-whiz! I might swap the 57 for a fat-fender just to paint it this shade.

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think the crest for root beer colors was between the mid 60's to the mid 70's. Just like any other trend, it became saturated and just simply played out. We've seen it come back in recent years and man, is it ever a pretty color. I fear we are on the edge of saturation...again. Just the same, if I was able to paint my pickup today, it would be root beer!

Attached Files:

26. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

27. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Harley Davidson offered a beautiful candy root beer brown in two seperate shades as a limited edition color in 2009. It is very striking in sun light.

28. This is a newer FIAT color

[​IMG]

Spooky and Elcohaulic like this.
  29. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Yes, the darker shade is close to what I'm looking for. Do you know what it is called, and if it is a true candy, or if it is available as a single stage or 2 stage?

30. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

That F100 in williebones' pic is very similar to Porsche's current Hazelnut Brown shade.