Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Speedway 1927 Frame Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford_jake, May 20, 2013.

1. ford_jake

ford_jake
    from Lincoln,Ne

I'm going to buy a speedway motors 27 body and I was hoping someone on here has the frame dimensions so I can build it on my own. Or if anyone has any sort of 27 plans at all like z frame or stock those would be great to have. Thanks

2. dano1930

dano1930

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Not very nice Dano. You made it thru the gauntlet ok!
    All you did was intro yourself and fill out your profile and amazingly not a nazi in sight!

Intros and profiles are important to help fight spammers and the like.
    Being a little fussy has saved this site a lot of trouble over the years!!!

Welcome aboard Jake...hope you have a great HAMB experience! :D
    BTW...do an intro! :p Hahaha

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

IMO you need to buy the body first and then start building your frame. I like to have all the major components on hand, like the body, wheels and tires, and engine, before I start building the frame. Doing it otherwise is a recipe for disaster because you need to figure out dimensions and leave enough room for everything to fit.

You can use the dimensions of someone else's frame but every car and every combination is different, so one size may not fit all in this case.

Don

5. dano1930

dano1930

haha dont really know what you mean, i just didnt wanna be one of the

":mad:USE THE SEARCH BUTTON:mad:" guys ive been on the recieving end of those:rolleyes:

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Well, I can see what you mean...but a poor way of saying it! :)

Search is pretty good though and a lot of times gives you multiple threads on exactly what you need and also on related stuff you didn't think of as well.

I wonder if Speedway offers frame plans to go along with the bucket bodys they sell? Seems like it would be a good idea!
    Nobody wants to get half way thru the frame construction and THEN discover they made a boo-boo.

7. Koz

Koz

Don't know if it helps, but I've put a bunch of Speedway bodies to use and the dimensions are the same as a stock '27 roadster. There are a bunch of threads on here that have these dimensions. These bodies fit very nicely on a Model "A" frame as well and look super sweet. Check out Paul on here's build. Remember, these bodies are real shallow inside and if you don't want to end up sitting "on" the car instead of in it I recommend a highboy, A or deuce rails.

8. 5window

5window

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but why not contact Speedway and ask them for the dimensions?

9. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Call Speedway, ask for a hot-rod tech.

10. 5window

5window

What a novel suggestion! :D

11. rusty28a

rusty28a

12. Koz

Koz

Have you ever tried to get something from Speedway that was not on their computer screen? You might as well ask your Congressman. They probably don't have that info other than overall dimensions as I believe their frames are outsourced.

My guess is you need a set of plans which you can get for a stock frame from the Wescott catalog which has been posted here many times. If you need something in particular, PM me and I'll pull the dimensions off my fixture. I do however use tapered 2x4x .120 as opposed to the 2x3 Speedway uses. It shouldn't be a big deal to use either. Also you need to know if the car you want is going to be channeled and where you want it to ride at. The front end is critical as frame details for a spring ahead/spring behind are different as is the steering and motor mount location. I am pretty good at passing construction details along through PM but I don't have a set of plans per se. My dimensions have been put into my fixturing over the years as chassis setups have evolved.

Let me know if I can help. If you could steal a pic off here or elsewhere that shows a similar car you like I can give you all the dim. you might need to build what our looking for.

Let me know if I can help!

13. rusty28a

rusty28a

^ Thats a cool dude. Way to go Koz!

14. Great suggestions all- One more that I might add is TACK weld everything first before you commit to the design.