Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Apr 7, 2013.

1. white64

white64
    from Maine

Gee I guess I am... maybe... I live on a short little country road with 8 houses on it. On one side is an antique collector who inherited stuff from his dad, along with several high dollar early restored ford v8s and other cars that never get out of the 6 car grarage, on the other side of me is a 3rd generation used car salesman who has a few really nice A's and early chevy iron. And here I am in the middle with a chopped and cut up coupe... with all kindsa of odd stuff coming out of my garage or sitting in my yard in the past few years, 64 Caliente, 38 plymouth coupe, 68 bronco, 41 chevy cabover, 41 stude, chopped vw r-rod w/me109 paint. But its all good so far... except someone ratted me out to the building insp. for not getting my new farmers porch completed fast enough... But I guess we're even, my Basset Hound loves to drop man-sized hit&run poops on their yards

2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

You only get 1 chance to make a first impression,let the neighbours get to know you first,then you will be in the clear.Make an asshole of yourself the first day,you will be thought of as one for the rest of your time there. Harvey

3. kscarguy

kscarguy

Don't rev motors and burn the tires unless you want the cops called every time you leave the house or fire up the car.

I bet you are not the only car guy in your neighborhood. I live in a subdivision where there is a perfect 65 mustang convertible in the garage just two doors down. I did not know about it for four years. At my old house in KC the same thing happened. The neighbors, who I talked to for years, came to my door and offered to sell me their 63 vette..."What 63 vette?", I asked. Long story short, I bought the California car burried in back of the garage on the spot.

Moral of the story...play nice. If I had been a jerk, someone else would have gotten that car.

4. I keep two things quiet....My hotrod and my weed sales :)

5. Most my neighbors love me. I can fix ANYTHING for them.

6. only onde place in the world that I am not an outcast and when I am with them guys we are all outcasts except to each other.

7. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Fences make great neighbors. It is nice to be liked in your neighborhood. It is also nice to be left alone to enjoy your time at home without disruption. Your neighbors feel the same.

8. The ONLY 2 problems I ever had here was...... when we first moved in, one neighbor who was jealous of the cars/projects called city code compliance. We put up a fence, that took care of code, and had a nice "coming to jesus" chat with the neighbor, no problem since. Other was, we had a garage sale and had to move a few cars really early in the morning and I heard a comment, but now just move them before bed if I need to. Half this town seems to kow where I live because of all the cars. Even when I go to stores in my OT truck, I hear "why arent you driving (insert their favorite here) car?".

9. Irishman

Irishman

Most of my neighbors only know I work on cars because they see my two projects sitting in my garage if they drive down the alley. Those that do know always stick their heads in out of a positive curiousity.

Except....

For one old hag across the alleyway. I got word she's intent on calling the police if she ever sees me straying out of my driveway.
    I think since she's given up on having periods, I'm her new excuse to be a crazy old bat at least one week in every month.

It's all good. When my projects are finished and are road legal, she'll rue the day she drew first blood with me.

That damn alleyway will look like the start line of a drag strip at the back of her house!

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That's where I am at...... I have busted many break-ins, in my neighborhood, because I am out in the garage till the wee hours of the morning.

I have built many race engines, and cars, I never fire the engines until after 11 am... My neighbor is an attorney, she came over 1 time, She had a hi profile event, and I was saw zawing an S10 to put a 40 Chevy on the chassis. No problem.

That would suck if my neighbors hated me.

11. chubbie

chubbie

Hell yes!! I'm the coolest guy on the block:eek:

12. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I got a 12 pack for welding up a mower deck last weekend! 10 min. work and a hour drinking with the neighbor! Not half bad huh? They also don't bitch when I'm sand blasting and grinding for hours on end. They know when they need help I'm there.

13. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Im in the same boat as you,,,,,, Be nice and respect your neighbors. Mine came around and even like some of my old "crap" cars. Im the kind of guy that if they didnt play nice back theyd have hell to pay. It works great.

14. I had the same problem when I lived in town for about 4 years then moved further out of town on a mountain top past 8 years here in EastT.N. Now my neighbors are cows and donkeys.lol.Bruce.

15. Fenders

Fenders

Not very smart to move into a neighborhood full of stepford wives - and husbands...
    Should have scoped it our first.

16. Several of my neighbors are in their late 70s and older. You would think it would be them I have the issues with, it isnt. Almost every day the 85 year old GAL next door, walks into my back yard to see what Ive done. She loves watching her childhood memories come back to life. The dogs dont even bark at her anymore.

The only ones that bitch are the ones that live their lives in a bottle (or beer can) because their lives are misserable and they want everyone elses to be too. :cool:

17. camcb

camcb

Me too hell somebody's got to be so might as be me

18. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well here's how it is. As long as you aren't grinding or revving your engine past 10PM, you'll be fine. Just be respectful. In my neighborhood most of the guys stop by to see my progress and talk cars. They don't have any skills, but you can tell they wish they did... and the balls to live the dream like I am!

19. Sometimes. At my old house, I had the cops called on me the FIRST time at 3:30 in the afternoon for runing a 4" Makita grinder for about 10 minutes, ON HALLOWEEN :eek:

Nothing the cops could do, but its always nice to hear "knock, knock, its the police. Hey, we got a call....... pause...... WOW, COOL CARS!!!" :D

20. Where I keep my stuff is a warehouse at the end of a dead end street.

The problem neighbor just turned everybody in for their cars and other code violations. They're so pissed they call my buddy up who owns the place and tell him when the complainer is home, so he can go up and unload things at 2:30 AM and make noise up there. Everyone else gets along with one another and they all hate this guy.

21. When I moved into a new neighborhood,I threw a"breakin in the neighbors" party. I am a longtime biker/hotrodder and I naturally invited all my hooligan pals over for a hogroast and all the free beer you could drink! I had a buddy bring his outrageous truck with a bazillion amp stereo and rocked the place out! NO ONE called the law! I always raced on Sat. nites back then and unloaded my 10 second Stude open headers (actually keeping quiet as possible) after the races around 1 or 2 a.m. and no one ever complained...a few years later the county sheriff moved in 2 houses down and never heard a peep outa him either! Maybe I was just lucky...But I say,"Breakem in right!!!"

22. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Neighbors hated my ot but very clean rockcrawler because it had big tires. Mind you i am the first person to help anyone in need. Now that i have the 55 burban they all stop by to see it and chat about the "good ole days" and how they dont ever remeber seeing one before. The biggest grip now is that my lawn is the nicest in the hood by far.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  23. Scumdog

Scumdog

Gee, that must have been a total surprise when the cops turne up...:rolleyes:

24. I have always been an outcast !!! Keep a low profile because the neighbors can make life miserable with complaints to the local township.
    I have to deal with that shit all the time and it sucks!!!!

25. 55chevy

55chevy

No one has complained when I give people a ride on my Road King, which my wife insists I do with new visitors, no burn outs, but not really a HOA neighborhood, mostly rentals.

26. Frank Jonkman

Frank Jonkman

I live in a rural area, most homes are on 2 1/2 to 5 acre lots. Most people mind there own business and some are uptight.
    I have one neighbour who has two boxers that start barking at 5:30 am when he puts them out for the day. They bark all day, one of the other neighbours had called the by-law people but there wasn't much they could do because it is a 'rural' area and the dogs are kept in a really nice fences area with shade etc.
    So.....one night we are trying to button up the car in the avatar and we had been having all kinds of issues. We had a golden rule, learned the hard way, but we always fired the car up after getting it all back together.
    Anyway, with everything that went wrong that night, it was 1 am before we were ready to go, I said the hell with it and rolled the car outside. Warmed up a nitro car in the driveway, with the temps cooling down the nitro was just hanging in the air, car was fat on 96 percent and the cloud was too cool. Giving her a couple of hits to seat the clutch really had it hitting.
    So about 15 minutes after this, the cops show up, the officer walks up to us and while I'm getting ready to hear the riot act, the cop just says 'Too fucking cool'. He stuck around for a while and told us he was only responding because someone had called in an explosion.
    After this episode, we almost made it a habit to fire the car up late...this of course was based on how irritating the dogs were being everyday.
    Still get a kick out of that cop.

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Know what you mean about the 20 and 30 somethings.Usless as a pork chop at a Bar Mitzva.And THAT`S pretty useless.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. G'day, As others have said just stay under the radar. Be helpful if asked but don't volunteer. My neighbor has 3 Edsels across the alley. He also has 3 security cameras and the necessary equipment. He keeps one car outside and everyone knows what he has.

The rest of the neighborhood have no idea what lurks in my garage. Enough Snap On tools to outfit a sales truck and enough Chevy parts for multiple projects. And no body knows and it gets left alone.

ms

29. aircoup

aircoup

why yes i am and i LIKE IT

30. gonmad

gonmad

I've always had decent neighbors. One got pissed one night when my buddy was f'n around and was tuning his carb in his super quick 66 Nova at about 11pm. Can't blame them tho. Now I've moved toward the country (cows and a 300 acre field across the street) and got a neighbor that has a 34 Plymouth coupe and a 41 Plymouth pickup hot rod. Actually he just got it running and I talked him into going to Hunnert with us. He got in...... But that's a totally different story of people thinking you don't "fit in"..........!!
    Oh, and never do the burnout in front of the house unless you're dang sure your neighbors are "cool". Now pulling off your street onto the "main road", that's a different story altogether!! Many a black marks out there from my TT 69!! Never a complaint, but some comments about "it sounded like it was running good"!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: May 20, 2013