Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'll bet Gene won't be able to wait on me and I don't blame him. It will be Monday at best for me to make it and they look almost ready now.

2. I left Genes around 8:00 PM Friday and there was more progress made after Frank took the last batch of photos,,the water pump was mounted and plumbed. HRP

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  3. OldColt

OldColt

Well Darrell, the engine is in the car now, and that infamous green towel keeps showing up in the pics. It is truly a multipurpose towel. I bet Ruth never gets it back. --- Steve ---

4. The headers were installed today and they touched the bottom of the front area that the back of the fenders rest on,,Dave drew a line the width of a hacksaw blade after the masking tape was applied.He then took off about 1/2 inch to gain clearance.

Melvin,, as always has been climbing all over the car working on a host of different things.

Gene got the magneto installed and got all the spark plug wires installed,,I went to Dennis Glenns and got the drivers seat ,,not the upholstery,,for Gene to get a feel for where exactly where the fuel shut off and kill switch needs to go and to decide where the head rest needs to be positioned.

Dennis was working his magic today at his shop and almost has the insert for the drivers seat finished. HRP

I didn't have my camera but I took a few photos with Genes,,so he may post them later. HRP

5. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Gene looks right at home.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

6. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Mag is in.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

8. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Quain, are you having trouble staying focused this weekend?! Don't know how you do it, because I can't wait to see/hear this bad boy come to life. Thanks for all you did and continue to do, Carp

9. OldColt

OldColt

Emotions gotta' be high at the Cromer shop right now. Looks like we are within some high octane in the tank, 8 ram tubes, and a few connections from hearing the old gal roar to life after a 40 year sleep. --- Steve ---

10. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I was keeping track of Quain on the internet and looks like he lost a close one in the final round today in Belle Rose, LA. I'm sure he would like to be home in time to hear it fire up. I have been patiently waiting myself. I know the feeling you guys are experiencing right now and trust me it will be worth it once you hear it run!

But that is only temporary until you get to experience it making a pass!!!:D

Sombody better have video... :cool:

11. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The ram tubes are on the way, donated by the fine folks at Hilborn Injection.

12. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Quain and his LeeBoy team had a very good week end. Quain lost a close race in the final and Tindle, one of the car that he's tunes, won in his class. Soooo, it's safe to say that the LeeBoy team is happy and he's chomping at the bit to get to Gene's. He should roll into home late this evening, make door panels tonight, and head out to Gene's in the morning.

We have talked to John Glenn and he has assured us that he'll be there to video the start up in my absence. Thanks for the help John!!

Daron

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  13. catdad49

catdad49

Guys, thanks for all the updates. If they charged admission for the firing of the Moonlighter all debts would surely be paid. As it is, a video of this is going to be priceless! Can't wait, Carp

14. catdad49

catdad49

Forget my manners sometimes. Great to hear that Quain and the LeeBoy team had a good weekend.

15. AndersonAutoGlass

AndersonAutoGlass

Dad has one seat cover done and the other is nearly finished. I just finished polishing the first headlight ring, will get the other finished by tomorrow. Can't wait to hear it run again!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

I'm only about 20 miles away if they charged admission, I would be there ! Car is looking great

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend of mine just told me about this thread today. Great stuff !

18. OldColt

OldColt

That's great that Hilborn donated new tubes. With the tilt nose, moon tank & long swoopy headers, the tubes will be the final crowning glory on a fine old gasser gal. Can't wait to see and hear the Moonlighter "light off" again. ---- Steve ---

19. Too far away to help, so I bought a t-shirt....:D Can't wait to see it GO!

20. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

The interior looks great. John, you and your dad make a great team!

21. OldColt

OldColt

Just wondering. Will that triangular panel between the dash and steering shaft be housing guages? --- Steve ---

22. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Yep, gauges and switches. The tach bracket you see was fabbed by Quain.

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

ok ,thats it were all coming over gene! this is really going to be neat for you guys when you bust it off! wish we all could be there.

24. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

25. macattack351

macattack351

Quain, you don't know what this means to me to see this car come back to life. I lived about 5 miles from the Ware Shoals dragstrip and started going there when I was 13 years old(1963). I would rush there in hopes that Gene would be there doing his wheelstands. The 41 Willys is my dream car and it would look just like the Moonlighter. Thank-you again for getting this car back. I know Gene and I know this means the world to him.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  26. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

This looks like where the Moonlighter will be next after Greer. I c/p from their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/MainStreetProgram.AndersonSC

The word is getting out so I might as well just spill the beans. We are honored to have Hot Rod Legend Gene Cromer with his totally restored A/GAS Willys "The Moonlighter" as our Featured Car and Owner this year at the Piedmont Natural Gas... Day B-4 Father's Day Car Show.

Making new memories and / or remembering old ones are what the car show is all about. This is a Father's Day Tradition for many of us. A day of spending time together and enjoying each other's company. There are no losers at the Piedmont Natural Gas Day B-4 Father's Day Car Show. Everybody wins on the 15th of June in Downtown Anderson. A good time is the trophy that we all leave with when we head back home.

Before I could drive, my Dad used to take me to the drag races in Greer, Ware Shoals & Spartanburg on Friday and Saturdays to watch Mr. Cromer smoke the tires, pop a wheely and just whip the soup out of everybody that pulled up to the line next to him on the drag strip. Those were precious Father Son times for us. Dear memories that we still talk about and will never forget. My 90 year old Dad and I are looking forward to seeing "The Moonlighter" standing tall once again at the 2013 Day B-4 Father's Day Show. Hope to see you on the 15th of June in Downtown Anderson. This year's show is going to be Most Outstanding...I guarantee it.

27. dirt42

dirt42

Just another proud moment for Gene, Melvin, Quain and the entire gang who's busted their butts to get this project moving and finished. I've been subscribed from day one and hands down the best thread on the HAMB. I'm one of the lucky ones who got a chance to stop in and talk with Gene and see the progress. I'm sure I will be able to do so once again in the near future. I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the shop when the Moonlighter roars back to life. I suspect that green towel that's been part of many pictures may just need to be passed around the shop. Git r done boys...

Mtn Goat likes this.
  28. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Got my tee-shirt. It's bitchin, and I'm the first guy in CA with one. I think.

29. OldColt

OldColt

Only four full work days till Greer. Gotta' be a mad thrash going on down at Gene's shop. If that motor is ready to fire at 3am, I wonder if Gene will be a gentleman and wait till daylight to keep from waking the neighbors, or let it rip. --- Steve ---

30. nicky64chevy

nicky64chevy

Got my shirts today as well. They really are great looking shirts.