Register now to get rid of these ads!

air bag mounting 55 gmc/camaro clip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, May 19, 2013.

1. i took delivery of my bags and brackets yesterday, i'm building a 55 gmc with an '80 camaro front clip. i have a couple of questions, first...
    the brackets for mounting the bag to the lower control arm are a bit confusing to me, no mounting instructions were provided and i can't seem to find a single pic on line of them installed, here is a pic of the brackets, hopefully someone has a pic.
    secondly...my rear mounting brackets are universal units that i will be mounting on the side of my step notch, they are the type that saddle the diff tube ( sit on top of tube) most people seem to mount them on the outside (wheel side) of the frame, however i'm concerned with tire clearence, is there any problem with mounting them on the inside of the frame rails, i don't want the truck to feel wobbly or tippy from having the bags too close to each other
    [​IMG]

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not familiar with those control arm brackets. In any case, brackets like that need to span, or drop into the recess that the coil spring was in and be parallel to the upper spring cup. Try setting them with the bent-over "tabs" in the recess, they should fit, just one way.

The rear brackets are fine on the inside. We just did a '58 and a '59 with them on the inside, both worked just fine.

3. i've tried them everywhich way, they don't seem to fit in any way. somebody must have a picture out there.
    :)

4. ridenlow559

ridenlow559

Which kind of brackets did u get. If they are the cup type they just sit where the coil spring went. The top usually with a long bolt through the top to hold in place and u clearance around the spring pocket so the bag doesn't rub. The bottom can be bolted or welded in. Or just weld a plate to the lower a arm and just bolt the bag to it.

5. ridenlow559

ridenlow559

Oh and about mounting the rear bags on the outside of the frame. U can put them where ever they as long as they fit. And u do want to space them out as far as you can. And if your link set up is good you don't need to worry about any wobble

6. i got them from airbagit.com, i wish somebody had a picture of them installed because they just seem SO wrong. i'm sure i could modify them to make them work, i'd just like to see someone else' setup before committing to welding it up:)

7. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a fan of that company. Knowing their reputation, you could very well have the incorrect brackets. Customer service there is not too good either, I hear. Good luck.

9. i had some problems when i ordered some stuff a few years back, thought i would try them again, i only received 2 of my 4 bags the other day. still waiting for a reply on that, as well as tech support for the bracket install.
    i think the writings on the wall:(

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

11. those look completely different. i wouldn't doubt they sent the wrong ones, perhaps they will return my email and i will find out for sure:)

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'd just call the credit card company and let them deal with it!! :D