Register now to get rid of these ads!

first extra cab pick ups

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrbuck, May 18, 2013.

1. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

does any one know when chevy made the first extra cabs. I saw one a while back that a guy made it was a early 50's and was sick. but wanted to see when they started making them. any pics of em would be cool too

2. 1988 model year. Earlier ones are outside conversions

3. Used to call 'em railroad cabs, 'cause that's who bought 'em.
    That Ford is probably a stock cab.

Cosmo

4. Military had them in 58 maybe earlier

5. I think they got the name "Crew Cab" because of their use in taking air crews to planes on the flight line,,,,,

6. belair

belair

Are you talking about 4 door orjust extended cab, 2 trucks?

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

those cabs are coach built---not factory...

8. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Ford started selling factory Super Cabs in 73, just like the Ranchero, GM started later. Like many said they made crew cabs for the railroad and the military for years.

9. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Extra cab, was what Dastun or Nissan called their trucks when they came out after the Fords. Gm called theirs extended cabs. Ford came out 1st and called theirs "Super Cabs"

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Dodge had the extended (club?) cab back in the early/mid seventys. A buddy I was crewing for on his stock car had one, 73-4.

11. You could get crew cabs as early as the 50's but they were usually aftermarket built. Ford did the first factory ones in the mid-60s. Some only had one rear door. Possible that Diamond T or someone else had them still earlier.

Extended cabs could be had as early as the '40s as a sleeper cab on big trucks - again, coachbuilt aftermarket stuff until the '70s or so.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

For Ford they started making Crew cabs in house in 65 but still used coach builders also. Anything earlier was all coachbuilt. A friend of mine found this 55 awhile back, which is pretty rare, I believe it was ordered for the Fire department, and my 65 was a Forestry truck. Seen quite a few painted for the Forestry..

Attached Files:

13. badshifter

badshifter

Cold? Flu?
    What type of illness?

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I have seen some fire trucks with early 50's 4 door cabs.

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here's a '36 or '37 Diamond T with a sleeper cab.

[​IMG]

16. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

i waish i had saved a pic of the one from ebay, the guy had sectioned on a half of a cab to the back of a full one to make a crew cab, then chopped the whole deal. Realy a sweet looking custom project.

17. I have to say that in 1960 we had a 58 ford 4 door on the flight line in Guam. it was beat to shit and didn't seem special to me at the time. I have no photos. I'm sure the military bought them from Ford regardless of who built them. with the government cost is no object they just print it as needed.
    I thought it was crazy when they spent 2200 (1960) dollars for a Hemi crate motor for my crash truck (what we called fire trucks on the air strip)

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it is very unlikely that any manufacturing co. would remove or install an assembly line for limited production runs except in time of war---throwing in the words railroad or military does not change this---coach built unless i hear it from an assembly line worker...

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1, There were some companies that reworked regular cab trucks into extended or crew cabs for railroads, the forest service and other outfits that needed the extra seating. I think Dodge and then International had the first factory built crew cabs though.

20. Stoughton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proctor-Keefe:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. NO, Datsun called them King Cabs when they came out in 1977

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Chevrolet introduced the Dually 3+3 in 1973. Prior to that, GM offered 4 door cabs for commercial use for the Railroad, Fire Departments, Utility companies, etc..........etc........