Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tire size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hallrods, May 19, 2013.

1. hallrods

hallrods

Just wondering what you guys think. I bought the tires on the front of my car for a different car. I think there a little small for this car but the next tire with a 2" white wall from Coker is tall. The sizes are 5.00-15 24.38 tall and the 6.40-15 is 27.01 tall. I have both sets of tires not sure what to do?

Attached Files:

2. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

I like the smaller tire that on it.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Big and Littles are Right!

4. hallrods

hallrods

Thanks I'm leaning towards leaving the smaller ones on.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've got some large components on the front of your Dodge. The hemi is big and the frame rails are huge. A lot of guys like small tires on the front of their rods, but if it was my car, I'd go with the larger tires. It's a matter of proportion. Also, somethin' about your car says "archaic" to me. I think it's partly due to the parallel leaf springs. So to heck with the "refined" look of the smaller tires, like so many others have...and further the monster-ish look with the larger front tires. Be a rebel...go against the grain.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Paint the frame either body color or black. White makes it stand out. I like the 5.00s myself.

7. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

I would swap em around every now then just to change the look. Nice car either way.

8. hallrods

hallrods

Frame is staying white that's the way it was in 1959 when my Dad built it

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This just makes me feel stronger about this.

Everybody wants the big and little look...and granted, it's been a popular look for ages. But there were some hot rods years ago that had front tires nearly or just as tall as the rears. And it gave them a heavier, more substantial look for the front of the car. Your car has the look of having been built long ago. You rarely see white frames anymore, and not many run the parallel leafs. So to me, your Dodge begs for that look that larger front tires will lend. And I just think the smaller tires look weak against everything else up there. But as mentioned, your Dodge looks great regardless.

10. hallrods

hallrods

Thanks for your comments this is what I'm looking for. The car originally had 6.70-15 on it. They were 28 inches tall. I like that look and I agree the car is big up front it may need bigger tires.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you're taking note. I don't usually push on aesthetics much, figuring it's the owners call. And I don't wanna sound big headed or anything. Just calling it as I see it.

Imo, even the headlight position would look better with larger tires. They sit just a tad on the high side...they stick up a little. A larger front tire would fill the gap, so to speak. Again, I feel it's a matter of proportion. And because I'm a little older and remember seeing some knarly looking rods with larger front tires. They weren't what you'd call "pussy-footers"...lol. Have fun.

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I like the way this is going. I agree on the bigger tires. I love the leaf springs and the blind quarters on that coupe. Dad had a Model A sedan in 1960. It was black with white upholstery, white top, and white mud flaps. Seems odd today, but white was in then.

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ah yes ! I remember the "white" phase back in the late 50s early 60s ,did some of it myself.

14. Lurk king

Lurk king

If you didn't mind a little more white wall I think ether 5.60-15 or 6.00-15 would be a great choice.
    6.40 Is a little on the big side, but I think that car could definatly pull them off.
    If they absolutely have to be 2" white walls and your not happy with the choices I imagine for the right $ hurst or diamond back could work some voo-doo on a pair of black walls and put whatever size white wall you wanted on them.

15. rld14

rld14

Monkey wrench time...

What's the load carrying capacity of the 5.00s?

16. hallrods

hallrods

Talked to Coker about that and they said the 5.00 would be just fine for the dodge with the hemi

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

If you are not running power steering (presume not), you might want to overinflate a little to navigate without pulling your arms out of the sockets---think it looks great the way it is.

18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

That's a great looking rod, and I think your Dad knew what he was doing when he put the larger tire on the front.
    I think a 6.00-15 would give the front end better proportions, and a more balanced look.
    KK

19. In the early sixties, hot rods (in HRM and Car Craft) would typically run 5.60 or 5.90x15 in front and 7.60, 8.00, or 8.20x15 in back. White wall widths of 2 to 2.5" in front and 3.5 to 4.5" in back seemed to look about right, iirc.

20. rld14

rld14

Good move. I've seen people run some very overloaded tires on here before. I personally like the bigger tires, but it ain't my car, do what you want. I gotta say that having a hot rod that your dad built over 50 years ago is really damn cool :)

21. hallrods

hallrods

My Dad told me here in Wisconsin back in 1959 2" white walls were all the rage anything bigger is what you found on your Fathers car so I would like top stay with that size white wall. The 5.60 or 5.90 is what I would prefer if they had a 2" white wall.

22. hallrods

hallrods

Have a great big old steering wheel from a 55 ford turns easier than my 32