Register now to get rid of these ads!

c4 trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leachafreak, May 19, 2013.

1. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

If the trans vaccuum line is not on the right place on the motor, could it cause the trans to slip when shifting into 2nd gear? I am running an offy tunnel ram, an the tunnel ram has no vaccuum for the trans so the trans vaccuum line is ran to holley 600 carb. Note- i have already adjusted the bands.

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

No vacuum will not cause a slip. It will cause harsh delayed shifts only

3. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

4. elba

elba

Adj. your band. Easy to do.

5. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

A lot of C4's used to slip because of a glazed drum the band applied to going into 2nd.

6. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

I adjusted bands a few wks ago. So if its a glazed drum then does that mean it needs rebuilt? The trans does not slip all the time... it started slipping a few wks ago, then i adjusted the bands and cruised it 4 or 5 times, then yesterday it started slipping again so i started back home and when i got a block away it was fine so i took it around the block again and nothing.

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I had a vacume line come off my 77 ford tld wagon. It is not a c4. But it did slip and wouldent shift at all. You might want to look into that first.

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Only way to know is to pull the valve body & take a look at the clutch drum. They will usually have hot spots in them like overheated brake drums would get. If that's the case then an overhaul is the best solution. Just pulling the trans pan will show you a lot. If the pans full of clutch/band material that will give you your answer. Old guy I worked with back in the 60's would take those clutch drums, resurface them on the brake lathe & reuse them. Always seemed to work & it saved people a lot of $$.

One thing I just remembered. Does the vacuum modulator screw into the back of the trans or is there a bracket that holds it in? The ones with the bracket would somehow get loose & let the modulator move back & forth causing all kinds of shift problems.

9. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

I think it screws in but i will have to double check.

10. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

Thanks guys for all your input

11. birdman42

birdman42

It could be overrunning the sprag if it does not shift into second making it feel like it is slipping.