Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need advise from the WILLYS GASSER GURUS!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drumyn29, May 18, 2013.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

So I got this 60's front axle setup from an old willys coupe and have realized that the riser blocks are two totally different sizes. I'm wondering what the reason could be? Maybe they were compensating for one side leaf spring being lower than the other? Weight transfer?

Attached Files:

2. violet springs

violet springs

Maybe the frame was twisted and they used blocks with different sizes to compensate so the car would sit level across the front.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might be as simple as one weak leaf spring. I've seen it done for that reason both front and back on cars.

4. choke

choke

Chassis pre-load. The way the blocks are set up, more weight is on the right rear tire. In the old days the ladder bars weren't adjustable. This was one way to chassis pre-load so the car would leave straight.

5. pottsie454

pottsie454

Not a Willys gasser guru, but I work on semi tractors. I've seen two sized riser blocks used for multiple reasons including worn leafs, twisted springs, and for oversized load haulers to preload tension on the frame to increase traction on the rear tandems in deep reduction. Maybe a trick for planting the rears evenly?

Edit: should have read all of the posts before replying. My bad, choke had the answer before me.

6. swazzie

swazzie

Engine torque. The larger block on the passenger side. Even launching.

7. drumyn29

drumyn29

Cool, I'll run it as is!

Thanks guys!

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Does it sit level? That's all that matters. Likely spring sag. I don't buy the engine torque thing.

9. abone1930

abone1930

What are y'all Willys model 77 guys using for rear leaf springs . Mine did not come with any originals and had coils in the back I already took out. Pretty much looking for a good donor leafs or maybe some aftermarket s . I am using chrome speedways for the front axel, just looking for rears. What's the length on them too? All help appriciated :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. abone,
    I have a pair of Eaton/Detroit, Willys springs under my '36 4-dr. They are a bit spendy
    $500+, but they can build up to a 3" drop into them. I ordered a set for a '39 coupe I was building, with a 2" drop...very nice springs. As I started on my '36 sedan about 4 years ago, I stripped the frame and put the springs over in the corner by the Eaton springs.
    Found that the springs I ordered for the '39 were the exact length as the '36. Ended up using them on my '36 instead of the '39 and they fit great, so...long story short...Willys
    rear springs (at least up thru '39) are the same. The shackle angle is great and all the bushings are the same. Can't give you an exact length, but I do have a factory listing on Willys springs, Ill see if it has any info on length. These Eaton Springs are call Rod-Ride springs by them.
    g-willys

11. Here's a photo of the '36 when I started it 4 years ago, and you can see the rear spring fairly well. There is a 2" drop built into this spring. No blocks needed.
    g-willys

Attached Files:

12. abone1930

abone1930

Thanks for the reply, I forgot about Eaton, really didn't want to buy new springs for the rear. Plan on setting up the height like the dog catcher. What length are your rear springs and are you us wing the stock leaf spring mounts?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. abone
    My springs are 46" eye to eye, and my factory literature show all Willys rear springs to be 46" in length so you can use any rear spring...all the way up to the 41-42 models. They did change the position of the center bolt for different years, and the commercial vehicles had 8 leafs (10 on special order)...all other models had 6. Bushings were 7/8 ". My homade shackles were heavy bar stock on 3" centers, and I did use the original stock mounts.
    g-willys

14. drumyn29

drumyn29

I couldn't resist, I had one of them machined to be exactly like the other.

Attached Files: