Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna make stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatassbuick, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Hmmm maybe I spoke too soon - is that a water manifold and jacket I see on those jugs?

Better make the carbs, too. Hate to have a bunch of catalog parts showing on and engine like that:D.

2. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Ya know...most of that (individually) wouldn't be that hard to make, actually, but it's neat as hell. What's amazing is that the guys were doing stuff like that at the turn of the century by freakin' candlelight!

3. preferolschool

preferolschool
    from Dallas, TX

I'll apologize in advance for the sketchy details, forgive me I'm not a cad guy, just a truck driver who hangs out in a machine shop on weekends running a bridgeport and breaking out a file. But I'm sure he wasn't using pro-e. ((((I just found he uses UG NX))))))))) I had never heard of what he was using, but it wasn't vector based. There is a post somewhere on there about cad software, where he goes into detail about the company he works for's new beta version 7.0 (or whatever) where he explicity states the advantage of his software is it's ability to change a point or face or whatever w/o distorting the rest of the faces. The discussion was way beyond my 2d a-cad comprehension. But regardless.

If you like the antiquated stuff you might search either practicalmachinist.com or homeshopmachinist.com for steam engines and the like.

I think your on the right track by coming into the situation not expecting to develop some new product that'll set the world on fire$$$$$. It will have to be a labor of love. I know this isn't much help. But you do have company and good luck. Ryan

4. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

That's SolidWorks fellas. I'm about 99% sure. It has engineering capabilities beyond what AutoCAD can give you. It is NURB based (just like AutoCAD) but it has very associative properties as Fatass hinted to. But it also has many other functionalities beyond that.

For instance when you create an object like a door on a hinge in Autocad and you build all of the parts (the door, the screws that hold the hinge onto the door and the frame, Hinge A, Hinge B and the hinge pin). Then you align them and assemble them. At this point if you were to select the door, Hinge A and the screws and "move" them....the whole selection set would just come right off of the frame and go wherever you put it in 3D space.

Now in SolidWorks do the same thing and select the same parts and try to move them - the door will swing on the hinge pin because it is fixed in position by the pin - and the screws are holding the piece together.

SolidWorks is able to calculate the range of motion, the clearances and all of the other things that you might not think of when you are designing the assembly and it will let you know if the part "works" or not.

SolidWorks can also make layers transparent (by percentages) so that you can see the inside of the assembly while it is in a functional state. For example you could see the insides of a hydraulic ram - and watch the piston slide in and out of the body of the ram. In AutoCAD the only way to see the inside of anything is to freeze any obscuring layers or to make a Break or a Section. None of which let's you see it "work".

Also if you have separate drawings that have parts that must align properly - you may change one drawing and have that information "update" the other drawings to maintain continuity throughou the whole drawing set.

Like when you have a head that needs to align with a block, etc.....

Amazing program. I have it but am not proficient in it's use. I use AutoCAD every day at work and have a very firm grasp on 2D and 3D design.

AutoCAD is all about the command line and the occasional use of the toolbar. SolidWorks uses a properties box and an object selection property box - modifying the faces of 3d objects. Letting you work "on the fly" more or less. You can still use a command line if you want but most folks are weary of it. (I guess that makes me old school - I like the command line).

.....wow, what a babbling mess, sorry Fatass.

5. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Ha. I had a chance to get a copy of Solidworks, but I'd grown accustomed to the solids modeling of MasterCam, so I passed. I ended up getting Autocad Inventor, though, which is supposed to be similar. I imagine the associativity may be slightly important if you're designing anything with multiple parts or moving assemblies, eh?

The command line stuff in Autocad used to drive me crazy, especially since MC is so menu driven...now I've heard that MCX is based primarily on icons. Great.

This may be the time to jump on the Inventor bandwagon. Learning makes my head hurt.

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

Check with the Bonneville folks. I remember an article on a racer that found that 2 Japanese DOHC heads put together fit his straight 8.

7. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Was it the old guys with the '51 Buick? They had built a crazy intake and header, but nothing as exotic and that...cool assed car, though.

I just thought about that...can you imagine figuring out the timing of this thing?

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

Back to the original ?. I like the Pinto carbs, but they have an odd needle and seat location that makes them about 8" long. A new top plate with a relocated needle would cut the length to where 4 could be used on a V8. And while you are making a new top, give it a 2-5/8" neck so you could run the Stromberg scoops.

If you want to whittle larger things, how about making a '36 hairpin end and taper cutting and welding some aircraft tubing for new rods?

If you whittled a Ross type steering mount that held a modern gear box internals for all the coiwl steering guys, you'd have a hit!

9. dixiedog

dixiedog

I like that idea!!!

How about some neat triple trees for a scooter? But sounds like you are miles ahead of something this basic.

10. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Do you need some?

11. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

How about whittling an adapter from 1" aluminum sheet to mate two V8s (any type, up to you) to a common, central, tough tranny? You could use gear drives to a central flywheel, maybe in an oil bath, built to last.

Could be universal drilled to accept any tranny?

Then you could pop 'em out for anybody who wants a few easy solid horsepower in a slightly different format :)

12. dixiedog

dixiedog

Really!!?? Sweet!!

Come to think of it, I have had an idea in my head for a while.

Being in Jax a swivle gun turret on a dog box would be a HUGE hit this time of year:D

Tudor was looking for some of those wheel adapters that I got from 4T6. Apparently they are pretty hard to come by, one outfit makes them.

13. I need a copy of SolidWorks...

14. Inserts to make smoothies look like no-hole Halibrands.

15. brandon

brandon

pete adranaicaasdfsed (something like that ....) had a conversion .....there was a chevelle in hot rod or something a couple months ago with a pair on it......he has a rear engine 37 (?) ........brandon

16. brandon

brandon

didn't feuling do this.....? or was it batten .....brandon

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

how about accessory brackets for 235 chevy? just alt and a/c compressor. not that i need ac or anything. but a guy i know. :) two piece bellhousings for the same. inline shifter for an old 3 speed, anything that would make my hambster (is there an accepted name?) get off the ground.

18. Phil1934

Phil1934

19. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be interested to see the steps involved in converting a banjo rear to a quickchange. I think the first ones were homemade, welded and machined using a lathe and a Bridgeport. Seeing as I just aquired those same machines thats something I'd like to attempt....Whatcha think?

20. How about Studebaker header flanges,
    do you still have my pattern?

21. Cowl steering is something that gets brought up in this forum a lot !

How about side plates for a Halibrand Champ center section that would allow you to use the 3/4 ton Ford truck spider gears along with the ring and pinion the units come with. That would make those old quick-change units very desirable for the street....strength plus a differential.

Attached Files:

22. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Didn't I send that back? Lemme look and I can get it back to you if you want.

That was a nightmare...

23. repoman

repoman

Call this dude: Ken (352)796-8800

He has sets of original Pontiac HEMI heads and has already begun some of the hard work for making new ones. I think he would love to talk to you.

http://pontiacdude.cc/

I'd buy two sets at least. I'll even pay for the first set up front.

24. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

If this is true, do you remember where you saw it? Or where I might be able to find some info about it?

Along the straight 8 idea, how about a new head for a Packard straight 8? Even an OHV version would probably flow pretty well, especially cross-flow, hemi-style. Think Ardun, but for a Packard. i know some of those old straight 8s had 9 main bearings, so it might actually be possible to turn some RPMs without crank whip. That would be killer at Bonnville.

Oh lord, I can't keep having these impure thoughts at work...

25. Phil1934

Phil1934

It was many years ago, probably HRMx.

26. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Hey,
    Ignore my PM man - the cowl steering thing is a great idea. Nothing like helping the long-legged types find a more comfy (and cooler than hell) way of steering their ride.

Plus it just looks sweet.

Maybe you could make the shaft exit throught the cowl - side steer style and make a nifty looking steering arm.

You could also mount the petal assembly on the tubing that houses the shafts like that neat little RPU that was on the board this past summer. I thought that was bad ass....

Ya know 90% of this hobby is appearance, take something that's already out there and make it look cool....

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Batten, McGee, and I think Fontana all developed 4 valve heads. Back in the 80's a couple guys qualified a nitro F/C on alky using Battens. IHRA made em put the nitro in for eliminations. It took a motorcycle drag racer to figure out how to make em build big power needed to compete. The (late) driver got all fucked up and did a reverse burnout at that race too. Too bad as that deal had some potential. The McGee stuff was quickly outlawed for reasons that by definition meant too much power. Gary Beck tried twin turbos on a fuel car a decade or so ago...so much instant power the day's clutch technology couldn't handle it.

Yes, Packards had 9 mains until I believe 49 or 50. That motor was marketed as the "Thunderbolt" as was cast in the head. Was at Bonneville in 91 and the guy running a Nash straight 8 was investigating moving toward that direction. I tend to agree with the head development negativity at the moment. But then we have a motorsports division and they tend to make me that way.

I like the steering ideas, the quick-change ideas are awsome, and if you wanna do some intricate design work try looking into 2 strokes. PSI, Union Bay, and many others get 5 figures for a 3cyl 2 stroke.

How about a 300+HP 1000cc triple...yours for the everyday low price of $12,999.00.

What scares me is they get it!

28. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

There's some really cool ideas you guys have given me. Some I think I might be able to pull off, others would be a great challenge or beyond my capabilities. I don't think I could make a cam, but the guy who built the kick-ass blown engine had one turned for him, I think, so I could probably do an OHV conversion for a Model A or B. Why I would, I have no idea, since I don't have one and I'm not lookin for one.

I'll probably make some rods for my Pontiac 400, talk to the Hemi guy that repoman hooked me up with, figure out where in the hell a cam would go in a two stroke OHV conversion, and bullshit my way into making a blower intake for above mentioned Pontiac. I'd be glad to help anyone any way I can in making crap...just for the fun of it.

Thanks, fellas.

29. Winfab

Winfab

Glad I read that last line.....I changed my mind since I was gonna ask you to make me a sandwich.

Seriously......good luck!

30. JrDragsterPunk

JrDragsterPunk

how about you do this awsome idea...

-take a 2jz-gte out of a TT supra
    -find an old ninja turtle toyota van and put the 2jz in it
    -put a posi in the van
    -take majority of the interior out and other useless crap that takes up weight. drill random holes wherever you want, have fun with it
    -put cragars and slicks all the way around
    -take the old dash out, and make your own out of sheet metal
    -spray paint that thing green and pinstripe "cowabunga" on both sides of it
    -take that thing to the track and kick everyones asses with it

:D