Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you remember the SATANS DEUCE ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goldy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My old pal (the late Gary Mylar) collected all the hot rod related magazines he could find.
    One of them had a 2 page short story on the 'Devil Deuce', 3 or 4 pix, and a few paragraphs.
    I read that it was a Southern Calif car, ran at Compton, and was painted by Von Dutch!
    I knew the car from 'better publications', but had to show Gary! (doubting Thomas) LOL

2. Goldy

Goldy

Atwater Mike; This car that we are talking about here most definately was called Satans Deuce not Devil deuce. The Satans deuce was most definately from Philadelphia.

I have a movie at home titled "Hot Rod Girl" from 1956. The film has some scenes of drags at what I believe to be San Fernando. One of the cars that I recognize is Tony Nancy in his 22Jr. roadster. Another car that I spotted in that film is a 32 five window with a devil painted on the front of the grille schell. The clip goes so fast that you can hardly scrutinize it, but I often wondered if there was another coupe like the Satans. I never heard any talk about the Satans going any farther west than Kansas City. Also I have often heard references to a car named "Devil Deuce" and I don't know if they are referring to the Satans car or yet another car. Maybe you could post some pics of that article on the "Devil Deuce". That would sure shed some light on the subject. Maybe it is the car that I saw in the movie, "Hot Rod Girl" starring Chuck Connors.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

Goldy:
    The picture you believe was taken at the KC 1956 Nationals was actually one I took at the OK city Nationals in 1957. I attended all the Nationals from 1956 through 1960 and do not remember the car in 1956. I looked at all my hundreds of photos from those years and can only find the one picture of the coupe.

4. Goldy

Goldy

bobbyhstl, Thank you for the correction, my mistake.
    I do recall a domeshaped building in the background of some of the pictures that I have seen. Would that be Oklahoma City ?

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love that Krate so much i had to draw it........ years ago...

[​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. That 32 has been for sale! It is owned by Kirk White from New Smyrna Beach FL. It is in Hemmings June issue. Page 395. His Phone #386 478-9864 Good Luck! I'm sure he wants an arm and a leg.

7. I thought that no one ever found the original car??? I know that clones have been built. Does Kirk have the original car???

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

no..Jim Jard had the Kennedy Brothers build it...and it is Killer!

Stogy likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hi, Goldy!
    Wish I could get any of Gary's old books, magazines, parts...
    but I understand since his death his wife has stuff 'enshrined'.
    I know the county had been giving her guff about 'too many cars', etc.
    Don't know how to reach her...
    I think you're right about the Deuce in Hot Rod Girl...Just a flash of it, but could be the car...

10. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car that Kirk White is advertising is Jim Jard's Kennedy Bros.-built tribute, NOT the original (although the wording in the ad I saw does not make that clear). vic

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. the shadow

the shadow

I am good friends with fred allens sons and the grill shell & devil motif painting from the front of the car is hanging on a wall in their den. I don't know what became of the rest of the car but any cars that are out their driving or for sale are clones.

12. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

And the plot thickens......

13. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

The dome shaped building on the OK city fairgrounds is actually a band shell for musical performances. There are a number of quanset hut type buildings also on the property but the one that looks like a dome from a distance is the light blue band shell.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's cool! The most important part of the car is preserved!!!

15. Goldy

Goldy

Knowing Freddy Allen for many years I got to meet his sons as well. When Freddy was still with us I would meet up with him and his sons every year in the pit side finish line stands at the Summernationals at Englishtown.
    I can verify what Shadow is saying because we had the conversation about the grille schell haging on the wall. His sons are very proud of that and rightfully so.

16. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

rumors say that car still survives nearby in PA

17. the shadow

the shadow

If thats true, and you have any info please PM me as I can pass it on to fred allens sons. I am sure they whoud be interested in getting hold of it to restore in there dads memory if it is for sale.

18. Nothing on Kirk White's site about it being a remake:rolleyes:

19. I would love to own even the remake but I just brought a 49 Chevy... Missed my chance!

20. Goldy

Goldy

When I saw the Satans Deuce at Hatfield Hi Speedway Drags, it was very late fifties or maybe 1960. The car looked awesome. I believe that it was brought to the track by the new owner that bought it from Freddy Allen. He just wanted to show it off because he did not run the car. I never saw the car again or heard anything about it running anywhere after that day.

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Here is an article from Rod Builder & Customizer, Nov. 1957, where it gives a little of the background of the car and builder. It's also referring to it as the Devil Deuce plus it did originally have the full moon discs on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Paul
    PM sent

23. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

The original body still exists. It's not in PA...the chassis might be, but I believe the body is elsewhere...

Cris

24. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I was doing some research on this car and found this -- the Kennedy Bros. copy sold at auction in 2013 for $55,000 -- apparently built from a Henry steel body. Seems like kind of a good buy to me.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 11.50.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 11.50.19 AM.png

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

Sold for $55,000.00 bucks in 2013.....
    Wish I had the money$$$..... :(