Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

2. Your stainless divider makes it a real clean trunk, well done, Eric! i think your to-do-list before paint job is getting really short now, or?

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Antti! It wasn't too bad working in the garden, but it just made me realize that time in the garage is a lot more satisfying and fun.:D

Thank you Tanktank49.

4. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

If it's stainless, why not polish it. You've got the jewel in the ring box under the hood, that would be the jewel for the trunk.

5. farmer12

farmer12

I'm not sure what to do with the stainless Carsten. Paint, leather or brush it.......still have some time to think. The short list is certainly getting shorter! Going to run the fuel lines tomorrow. There's nothing like getting under the car and work against gravity! I'm going to find the final positions for the pump, regulator and filters, then mark them off on the chassis and drill the holes when the body is removed. Hope all is well with you!

6. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

That was my favourite part: lying on by back, working under the jacked up car against gravity... Who needs a gym! ;)

Fantastic work so far! Really like your build! Can't wait seeing it coming together.
    Jan

7. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Why not engine turn it. That would look awesome!

8. Hey Eric, thanks, after some more or less serious trouble my health and all is on top again! i'm sure you'll decide the right way, let's wait and see when the car is painted, then the choice of the interior stuff is a bit easier..

good to hear the green hell of garden spat you out, dude! met some crazy creatures there, huh? :D remember, your garage is one of the safest places as long as a man leaves the toolbox alone...;)

made some progress too, but this is your thread, take a peak if ya like:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=32083

hope to hear and see you soon, i'm still watching your build with fascination.

Cheers, grab you a friday beer, Carsten :)

9. farmer12

farmer12

Maybe you're right Allen, let me think about it some more. Maybe I could do the top half of the side panels as well to make it all more cohesive. Here we go again, just as I'm getting close to finishing, I have to think of something else to do.:D:D:D

10. farmer12

farmer12

Now for the crappy news...........in the pic you see a Porsche that is still in "my" spot at the body shop. It was meant to be completely finished this month but they're still waiting on parts, including the engine. They expect to have it finished in early July.

So my plan of attack has to change. I will now finish the chassis completely including powder coating and deliver it to the body shop with body on it as a roller. I suppose that this way they can hang the doors etc without any flex in the body. Maybe that's a good thing after all.:D

Attached Files:

11. What a bummer. Keep the faith it will all come in time.
    Terry

12. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

That sucks, hang in there...

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Jan. Glad you're enjoying the build. Things are certainly coming together, it just seems to take so long at times..

I did think about that Mark, but I'm going for a "clean" look. Thanks for the input.

Good to hear you're better again Carsten! I checked out the pics and your car is looking amazing! Can't wait to see it again!

To Terry and ESGEE. In hindsight it may not be a bad thing. It will give me time to finish the chassis and a few other odds and ends. What's 6-8 weeks on a 3-4 year build? :D Being patient has become my middle name I think.

14. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

It tries your patience, but at least you're almost there.
    My 8ba block has been in machinist hangar for six months,
    been succesfully bored, but he has not progressed with removing the cam :O)...

-Pasi

15. farmer12

farmer12

Almost there indeed Pasi. But you know the feeling.......after 3 years of fabricating, fitting, welding and other related metal stuff, it's nice to be able to pull it all apart again for the last time, get it painted and start the re-assembly. I've been dreaming about this for quite a while now.:D:D:D One day I'll look at the finished product with a cold beer in my hand and smile. (and think about what to build next.:rolleyes:)

16. Oh Eric, say, are we related? :D:D and the longer a build takes the more patience grows, or? i bought Betty in the end of 2003 :eek: damn, now i've gotta do some work again on her... have a good weekend, buddy! i'm off to the garage.... :)

17. farmer12

farmer12

Related beer wise for sure. A 10 year project though......patience wise you win hands down! Enjoy the garage and have a good weekend too.

18. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

can't believe it's almost time for paint
    you would think this would never end haha
    but it's fun steppin into a new chapter of the build
    sucks you can't bring her now, but like you said, maybe it's better this way
    theyre gonna take the body of to paint the underside or is that already done?

19. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

I think you've shown us that patience is one of the things you certainly have Eric. Getting close my friend. (and this project is still looking awesome by the way!)

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Perry. Yes, the idea is to have the underside of the body done before I bolt it to the newly painted chassis. That way I the body will sit in it's correct position and everything can be lined up for the very last time. A new chapter of the build indeed.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, big ass sheet of stainless. Looks bomb-proof to me. :D
    Great work as usual!

22. 1959apache

1959apache

Its looking good Eric. I am glad you are at least getting some extra time to work on little crap you want to do insead of being completely rushed. I am still waiting for my video of you firing that engine up! :D

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the comments Mick.

Thank you BrerHair. Bombproof indeed!

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott! It certainly feels good to be approaching that finish line. With regards to the video, you'll have to be a bit more patient. To keep you happy in the mean time, here's it's initial start up. I know you've seen it before!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bynIPFTZK9Q

25. 47 PLY

47 PLY
    from UK

That engine, like the rest of the car is awesome. I would love to see it in person someday any plans to come to the UK when its finished.

26. ausbuick

ausbuick

Eric she is going to ONE BAD ASS ride.....
    Good work
    Cheers Darren

27. 1959apache

1959apache

I am just giving you a hard time :p I am excited for you to take that thing for a spin.

What kind of Porsche is under the tarp? Are you going to do anything else special with the frame before powder coating? I vote that you turn the stainless panel instead of upholstering it. Is there any way you can have someone with a bead roller put "1941 Plymouth" in it? That would be kind of cool

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks 47 PLY. I may just go to something like the Hay Ride next year. I'm building it to drive!

Thanks for the kind words Darren.

29. farmer12

farmer12

Don't worry Scott, I'm thick-skinned. The Porsche is an early 70 911.

With regards to the frame: after sandblasting it will go in an acid bath, then a zinc bath and finally powder coat. That's the reason why I made all these little holes in the chassis, so that air can escape while it's taking a bath.

Haven't made up my mind regarding the stainless panel....

30. farmer12

farmer12

I've decided to continue the stainless out to the side, creating something different rather than just a big square box trunk with just leather. First step was to cut the support and move it back an inch. (welding will be done later.) Then it was on to manipulating the nearly 1/8 of an inch stainless sheet by hammering it in to shape by hand. Yes, my arms are hurting. By the end of the day I've come close to the final shape. Did a quick test fit for looks.:D More tomorrow.

Attached Files: