Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found Stude Gasser_Thanks to the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ltownrodder, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Skidmarks.......When I fist asked him about the coupe he sent me some pictures of the car and it was still red at the time. He told me they had just moved the car into his shop and primed it just a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. Ebert

Ebert

WAY cool thread and find....congrats!!! Please keep us posted!!!!

3. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Couldnt help myself.........had to post a couple of shots of Charlie working on the Stude back in 1965.:D

Attached Files:

4. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

cool find randy ,the last time i talk to lavern he was telling me about how light that car was ,do you know where the pic of the car being loaded was takin' ? so when you get the boss done are you going to get the 33 back to its glory days !!!

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Those last pictures are just too cool.
    Subscribing to this thread to watch the build, and then,
    "The Boss" goin' down the strip again.

6. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Red Rods...............The picture of the Stude being loaded was in Abbottstown in an alley near the square. I drove over there just to find that exact spot. Yes that car is really light. I think they drilled anything that would unbolt from the car.
    Heres a shot of Lavern and Charley just hangin out. If he knew I posted this one he would probably shot me. Lavern in on the far left and Charlie is on the truck.:eek:

Attached Files:

7. fitzee

fitzee

This is just too cool. I`ll be watching this post

8. 5w32

5w32

congrats randy, good to see you have it in your hands finally and it looks great! its awesome that another historic stude gasser is found and will be returned to its former glory!!!!!! let me know if you need a fiberglass trunk. one day in the future we will get the two stude' s together for photos! i am trying very hard to have mine at the bakerfield hot rod reunion this year.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317447&highlight=old+pomona+pics

Attached Files:

9. cremator

cremator
    from delaware

I'm glad to see all you guys are so happy the BOSS found ltownrodder The hole story and how it happened is great to hear!I can't wait to see it run again and hope I can take it for a spin,god knows I pushed it around enough! The Cremator

10. cremator

cremator
    from delaware

I like the skidmarks comments he also told me that stude was junk HaHa

11. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Cremator,
    The floor being out and isnt such a big deal. At the time it was raced it had an all aluminum floor and I figured that if it was going on the street that it had to have a steel floor. Im not happy it was missing but I am glad it was'nt replaced with steel yet. I have enough pictures from Mr Garrett that it won't be a problem to recreate.
    The body and rear fenders are in VERY good condition for what we are going to do.
    I had posted pictures of the car but I had a couple guys ask what it looked like inside,so heres a few of the interior.He started the build with red plexaglass on the doors, then later on he upholstered the doors and put carpet mats over the aluminum. :D

Attached Files:

12. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Not sure yet........First thing is to get rid of that mustang 2, then we will go from there. I do have another 40 coupe that the body is pretty well junk. I can steal the frame from that car but Id like to try to fix what we got. Heres a couple shots of the original frame and front end.:D

Attached Files:

13. PA Gas

PA Gas

First off what an awesome car. The pic of the car when it was red with aluminum slots was what it looked like at the Maple Grove swapmeet around 10 years ago and the price was around $8000 which was a little pricey. What month was that Hot Rod article ?

14. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

P.A. Gas
    The photos of the car in Red were in the early sixties. If you notice he had the kidney bean style Halibrands on when it was Red. He changed to the large window mags when he changed to a black paint job.
    It was raced by Lillich and Garrett till about 65 or 66 when Garrett bought his share of the car. He rebuilt the Stude ,did alot of chrome work,and painted it black at that time. The article when it was black was in Hot Rod January 1967.:D

Attached Files:

15. PA Gas

PA Gas

Are you going to take the car to York to the Studebaker show for show and tell? Does anybody remember what the car weighed??

16. 5w32

5w32

how is the car coming?

17. old injun

old injun

what happened to this build? hope your still workin on it and post some progress

18. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

That car was Awesome. Glad to see it in the hands of someone who deserves it. Good Luck.

19. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Tried, without luck, to upload pictures, but it doesn't like any of the formats that I tried.

Car is coming along. Engine to be on dyno this week, upholstery just about finished, gathering all the bits and pieces to put it back together.

Have a 6 week time frame to get it all together before it heads out to Pomona.

Randy

20. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Good choice IMHO.

21. international iron sled

international iron sled
    from san diego

Where are the updates!? We need to see this thing!

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wondered what happened to this thread? Glad it's still being brought back to life!

23. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

That is a nice looking Stude. Glad to hear another one is getting back on the road/track.

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Have you started looking for a '55-'57 Suburban yet?

-Brad

25. I saw the car at the Hot Rod Magazine 65th Anniversary deal..,it is breath taking, my favorite car of the show. This Stude is an absolute time warp and every part is as correct as can be. I believe there were even mentions of making so passes in the near future which is totally out of sight. Its always a little sad to me to see old race cars restores that never again get to flex their muscles.

26. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Sorry Brad....... I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks. It seems while I was at work my computer took a dump. We had a power spike and it took out the computer even though we had the surge protector. Luckily we did save the hard drive.
    Thanks for the kind words on The Boss . We had a great time, the Stude was well received, and we spent a lot of time chatting with people that were really interested in the car. We had just gotten the car done before we loaded it into the trailer for the trip. Not sure if the gold leaf lettering was even dry on the doors yet.
    We had planned to go home on Sunday after the show but we got a big surprise as Hot Rod asked us to take the car over to their offices in L.A. and photo shoot it in the studio. They spent about 3 hours.
    The way it looks as of right now , they are planning on running a 3 to 5 page article sometime later this year.
    We are not going to post too many pictures of the car here as we are still planning on debuting the car at the York US 30 show at the fairgrounds in York, PA in July. We have arranged for the original owner(Charlie Garrett)now 70 years young, and his team, the Eliminator Racing team to be there to pull the cover at the show on Friday. We are pretty excited about the unvailing as they have not seen this coupe together since its been restored. The last time Charlie saw the car together was back in the late 60's.
    We sat down with him for about 3 hours and talked the other day and he is really fired up about being reunited with his old gasser.
    Right now the plan is to get the car in side on Friday and get the car covered up until we pull the cover at 2:30 in the afternoon. We are also going to be one of the cars that is going to start up during the cackle fest. The plan is to prime the hilborns and then let Charlie start the car at the show.
    We were trying to get the 56 Suburban done in time for the show but the guy that was helping me with the body work and paint just had surgery and will be out of commission for about 6 weeks.

Attached Files:

27. Pasta

Pasta

That car is frikken awesome! What a wonderful piece of work.
    Is that the SWC Mustang behind it?
    I see the McEwen AA/FC and truck in back.

28. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

When we got to the show Don Prudhomme came in right behind us with the Mongoose funny car and hauler. He was real nice to us and walked around looking at the cars and signing autographs. He was our neighbor for the weekend.
    Yes that was the SWC mustang we were parked next to. I wish I had a dime for everyone that took a picture of that car.
    If the photo turns out, you can see our black coupe with the funny car hauler behind us. This was an early set up shot.
    Thanks again for the thumbs up on the coupe. Hope we can meet up sometime at one of the shows. We plan on taking the car around to as many drag reunions and gasser events next year as we can.

Attached Files:

29. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Sorry..............I made a mistake .......That wasn't the Stone Woods and Cook Mustang. This one ran over 200 MPH and had a twin turbo with a see through hood.

Attached Files:

30. Nice spread in latest issue of Hot Rod. Car looks killer!! Made mention in recent HAMB thread, that two guys in our club found a 1941 model, in a garage, in Orlando, a few years back. Pressures of life kept them from keeping it. Would make an awesome sister car to have on display with The Boss. Incredible story and fantastic job on the restoration. :cool::cool::cool:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9106316#post9106316
    JT