Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting courage to cut firewall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, May 17, 2013.

1. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Encourage me fellers.

[​IMG]

2. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Looks like you can turn it around . :cool:If you have to trim more , it 's only sheet metal,,,,:D:eek:

3. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I don't really care for the look when turned around. Might be easiest though.

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Maybe just leave it out and make a flat firewall?

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I hope you are going to do a lot of triangulation on your frame crossmembers or you are going to twist that frame like a pretzel with a BBC. Other than that what's the hold up on cutting?

6. Make yourself happy. Do it the way you want it. Look at zip water pump for some rad. Fan clearance.

7. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Don't think too much about it. Stop looking at it like its an un fixable mess if you destroy it. Its only metal. Its not like its a deusenburg or something, its a model a. Quit being a pussy. Sawzall the shit out of it. Torch it! Run it over with a monster truck carefully. Or take your time, cut it gently while listening to classical music. duck tape it. bondo it. staple it. rivet it. self tapper it. or weld it. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
    How's that for a little A.D.D motivation on a Friday?!

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You'll have a lot more room without one... ;) :D

[​IMG]

9. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Lowrders, that's the motivation I needed. LOL

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If a BBC has been proven to be the 'motivation' you need, the firewall can be compromised...

11. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Yeah,
    it's not like the firewall ain't full of holes. I'm keeping the body as stock as Henry made it as much as possible. The firewall can be expendable if I mess it up.

12. ChefMike

ChefMike

Sometimes you just need to do it! and by that I mean jump right in and go for it! in the end I'm sure it will turn out find!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd agree with reversing it, but if you're not into that look, then I'd cut it in a second. Of course I've never hesitated in cutting a firewall on anything common. If it was a concern to save the firewall, then I'd be using a different engine to save it.

14. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I think I'm trying to decide if I want to go the wheel barrow bed route or cut out what I need to cut and recess just that.

15. 327Eric

327Eric

If you want to retain originality, hang the original firewall on the wall, and pick up another one to cut up. If you decide to go another direction in the future, you will be able to go back.

16. Just put a FORD in it and use the chev as a door stop. :) What ever you make it how YOU want it not how others tell you it should be.

17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

image.jpg Just cut it. Reversed doesn't look right to me. I made a template with poster board for the insert. Didnt lose toeboard either.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  18. check out my build, there are lots of pics. We did 3 1/2 recess. It's just metal, if you screw it up it can be fixed

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You can get a really nice Model A firewall around here for $50, hack it up!!

20. With that air cleaner, who is going to be looking at your reversed firewall anyway ???

21. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Hey Swade, how's it going? I'm looking at doing a flat firewall welded to the back of the original firewall flange then cutting the old firewall off. That will give me enough clearance for everything except maybe a small recess for the distributor. Gonna do a search for flat firewalls for some ideas. Thanks all.

22. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Make sure you allow room to get your distributor out if need be....

23. heres a couple of pics of mine. I am running a Pertronix flamethrower 2 distributor. It's a close fit. I have to pop the cap off to get the distributor in. It's a 3 1/2 recess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Nice job and it looks good also. HRP

25. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Impala Mike, that's a good looking job you did. I think a flat firewall is my easiest answer. I did a search and found exactly what I had in mind and it looks great.

26. Cool man, good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Make sure and brace it somehow, without beads rolled in it may flex.

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just cut the fucker up. :)

29. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

Do it! You wont be sorry if its done the way you want it!

Attached Files: