Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Buried Treasure? WWII Spitfires o/t

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ramblur

Ramblur

Back in my 1970's adolescence in eastern Ohio my ever widening search of junkyards in the region I snagged a 57 Chevy sedan delivery that I promptly relieved of most of the parts left on it somewhere up near Cleveland. During this trip somebody told me a tale of an aircraft junkyard
    full of WWII aircraft. I never found it,but never forgot the story either.
    Well,thanks to the wonderful interwebs I finally located this legend although the owner has passed and the jewels picked over I can only dream of what it would have been like to tromp through this treasure back then. Corsairs? No not just Corsairs but FG-1D and F2G "super" Corsairs.
    Not Mustangs,but Xp-82 & F-82E "twin" Mustangs.:eek:

Enjoy...

http://vimeo.com/12286227

And if you have a few minutes The Air and Space article is even better than the video. http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/soplata.html?c=y&page=1#

2. slingshot392

slingshot392

The guy's name was Walter Soplata (spelling?, I know that's wrong) and his collection was written up in aviation magazines for decades, I remember back in the 80s and 90s some of the magazines and people writing in were very critical of him for just holding on to it as he wouldn't sell at the time, others were like me where we were just glad these rare aircraft got saved. He had quite a large collection including two of Cook Clelands racing Corsairs, one of which (the red and white one) was restored to a flying condition a few years ago and there is a bunch of pictures and videos on the Internet of it.

He wanted to save these aircraft and it leased with some of the stuff, he would use an old converted school bus, sometimes barely being able to keep the front wheels on the ground. He would try to keep them as clean on the outside and he would spray the internals with oil or something like that every so often to help keep the corrosion at bay as best he could. After he passed away, at least some of the collection was sold off to museums and individuals from what I read.

3. afaulk

afaulk

Grandfather was a pilot in WWII and loved to tell the same old stories time and again. One evening the pastor and his wife came for dinner and were being entertained by his war stories. "There were Fokkers everywhere, above me, below me, behind me, etc. Grandmother was red faced because of his language and explained "a Fokker was a kind of airplane". Caught up in the storytelling, Gramps exclaimed, "thats true, but these Fokkers, they was Messerschmits. Hope the Spitfires get to go home but the name doesn't make as good a story.

4. Abomination

Abomination