Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recreating American Graffiti's drag race scenes in Petaluma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ruben Duran, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

I thought some of you might be interested in this recent article...

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130429/articles/130429552&tc=yahoo

Here's the written article:

Petaluma's American Graffiti party to recreate street drags

By LORI A. CARTER
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Monday, April 29, 2013

Drag racing isn’t legal in Petaluma. But next month, two sanctioned street races will be held as part of the 40th anniversary celebration of “American Graffiti,” the George Lucas coming-of-age film shot in Petaluma.

One of the pivotal scenes — a drag race between John Milner’s yellow 1932 Ford coupe and Bob Falfa’s black ’55 Chevy — will be reenacted on Frates Road on the city’s eastern boundary as part of the annual Cruisin’ the Boulevard celebration.

Another street racing scene will be recreated on the main drag, Petaluma Boulevard North, where in the movie the drivers sped past downtown storefronts.

“The theme is ‘Return to Paradise Road,’” said organizer John Furrer, referring to the fictional race location in the 1973 movie, where the Chevy careens off the side of the road. “But we’re not going to flip the car. I can’t find anybody to give me a ’55 Chevy to roll over.”

Almost 400 classic cars are entered in this year’s event, May 16-18, including some that were in the movie or clones created by an “American Graffiti Tribute Team.”

The white 1956 Thunderbird driven in the movie by the mysterious an unattainable blonde played by Suzanne Somers, will be on display. Candy Clark, who earned an Academy Award nominee for best supporting actress as Debbie in the film, will sign autographs.

This year’s stunt harkens to one five years ago when organizers recreated the axle-pulling scene from the police car when it pulls out of the vacant lot next door to the Mystic Theater.

“We figured since this is the 40th anniversary, we have to do something special,” Furrer said.

The drag races are to be recorded for commemorative DVDs to be sold to event-goers.

Police Lt. Tim Lyons said since the 35th anniversary scene went off flawlessly, police had no objections to this year’s plan.

“They really did good job with that, so I don’t think there will be any problems with them recreating these two scenes,” he said. “They’re not going to drive at really high rates of speed.”

Through the magic of film-making, the cars will only appear to be speeding through the streets at breakneck pace.

Police will provide traffic control, although at the pre-dawn hours the races are planned, they don’t expect many onlookers or cars on the streets, Lyons said. A couple dozen people came out in the early hours to watch the axle scene.

Cruisin’ The Boulevard is an all-volunteer nonprofit agency that raises money for schools and art, history and public safety programs. Flowmaster Inc., the Santa Rosa-based muffler manufacturer, is helping defray some of the drag-racing costs this year.

The nine-year-old nonprofit has grown significantly since the event’s first year, when expenses were $200 and proceeds $10,000. In the past seven years, Furrer said, the group has given $120,000 to Petaluma area causes.

One of the group’s goals is to provide automatic defibrillators so that people in Petaluma who suffer a cardiac arrest can be treated immediately. It already has donated several to the Police Department, City Hall, Lucchesi Park, the Mary Isaak Center and the city’s high schools.

2. Rebracer

Rebracer

Very neat! Let us know how it goes. Shame that like everything else these days, "safety" pretty much ruins the fun.

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

Sounds awesome. Wish I could be there

4. Mike

Mike

Property damage, injury and death kinda ruin the fun too.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

40 years?? Time flies.

6. Rebracer

Rebracer

I highly doubt letting these two cars make one full speed pass will result in property damage or death, but what do I know.

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

Bahahahahahaaaaa

(Not the death part, just the purity of the thought - nice one)

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Its all fun till someone loses an eye.
    That sounds like a good time and a good cause.

9. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Yeah, I may just scoop up my 6yr. old nephew and head out there to check it out.....he's a bigger AG fan than I am!

Found some press coverage video of the event.....

<object id="otvPlayer" height="268" width="400">

<embed id="otvPlayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=kgo&section=&mediaId=9106816&parentId=9106818&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" height="268" width="400"></object>

10. Me too. Sounds like a blast.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frates Road is still pretty much as it was 40 years ago...2 lanes, lots of telephone poles, and that steep embankment where Falfa rolled the Chevy. Not really a safe place for a "full speed pass".

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very Cool.

Thanks for posting. Jimbo

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for posting the information Ruben.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What a great idea.......sounds like a very nostalgic event. :) Wish I lived closer.

Don

16. wow 40 years
    I was there for quite a bit of the shooting
    not the rollover
    wish I could afford to come out

17. Petaluma has done more than San Rafael would

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

never been to frates rd. but ive raced on dozens just like it.mostly in the 70s and early 80s.some of them rds had more people watchin the racing than were left in town.never did see one wreck.
    but i know we were lucky. but god what id give to do it all over again and again and again....

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

This was about my favorite part of the film ….well done and just like when we did it for real in downtown Sacramento … back when cruise nights were real and hot rod weren’t posers.

21. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

My 40 Ford sedan should be done in the next few months. This show has been a goal of mine since I bought the car in 2008. I'll be there either in 2014 or 15. Driving the Old Lincoln Highway out from Nebraska and Route 66 back. Maybe I'll get a long distance award.