Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rockauto.com good.????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, May 15, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I am way old and just discovered that Rockauto, has old car parts too. I thought it was another Napa, Autozone, ect.... any good.:confused:

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The only thing that sucks about Rockauto.com is that they have warehouses all over the country, so you sometimes have to pay shipping and handling for each individual part. For small purchases, it may not be worth the savings since you'll pay so much in shipping it will even out. However, for other purchases, they are significantly less expensive than virtually any store you walk into and the quality of the parts is excellent. I've used them before and will use them in the future. Very good.

Fender1325 likes this.
  3. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

I have always had good luck with them, and a lot of the parts you can order will give you a few options on price and quality, I got some rear rotors for my ford 9" for a song, and they were motorcraft.. but that was about a year ago

4. There was a post on FordBarn several days ago about rockauto maybe
    clearing out older vintage parts.

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I use rockauto constantly. They're not always the cheapest, but often are. No problems with quality and they do returns pretty easy. Just pay attention to shipping and compare vs. Oreilly or Napa.

They often have 5% discount codes that make a difference on bigger orders. You can google rockauto discount and find a current code.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  6. Wildfire

Wildfire

Order parts frequently for my OT cars.

Easier and cheaper most of the time for quality parts.

7. I use Rock Auto to get their prices locally on big items.

This because when I ordered a Y-pipe for an O/T driver it didn't fit. They wouldn't let me return it unless I paid the shipping - which was about $40 on the part even though they charged me $7. I ended up having to change the manifolds on the van to use the pipe.

But just to prove a point I ordered the other pipe they showed for my van, and when it didn't fit either, returned it, this time on their dime.

8. The brakes I got for my '61 Falcon, from Rock Auto, stop that car better than any other 60's Ford I have owned (and that's quite a few).

The wheel cylinders were $5 apiece and do not leak.

I haul my kids and grandkids in this car, so you bet I'm a bit concerned about part quality.

I'll be ordering more from Rock Auto, perhaps tonite...

Yeah, me likey

Cosmo

9. punisher7

punisher7

I use rockauto all the time for my OT cars. I have found quite a few parts that they sell like control arms and a couple ignition coils for less than 1/2 of what advance and autozone sell them for. They are very quick and quite accomodating for returns.

10. WOW, that is good revues.. thanks for all the help..

11. Ob1

Ob1

They had all the parts for my brake job!
    Shoes, cylinders, drums, hardware kits, wheel studs!

1963 Grumman Kurbmaster.

Once you order from them, when parts go on clearance for your vehicle, you get an email with a list, at further discounted prices.

12. rld14

rld14

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them today...

Intake manifold gasket set and both head gaskets for my '60 Lincoln? $60 or so with shipping. Whole order was $171 because I threw in Bendix ceramic pads and front rotors for this very special girl's OT M*****g and Front and Rear brake pad sensors for my cousin's OT B** X*.

While I was at it, a modern OT car I own needs brake pads. Dealer wanted over $150 per axle and they wear like crazy and dust like you wouldnt believe. Better ones from Rock Auto (Ceramic)? Just UNDER $65 for BOTH axles!

Yes, I am very happy with RockAuto.

13. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yes they got good prices but shipping from 2 or 3 places will be a deal breaker.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They are great, as long as you're not in a hurry. The shipping out weighs going to the parts house. BUT I've never gotten something from China and that's saying something.

15. RatPin

RatPin

Rockauto is great other than the fact that the shipping can be pricey, but it usually gets to me in 3 days and even with shipping is a bit less than the parts stores with better selection. The more you buy the better the deal gets.

16. evintho

evintho

I've used them a zillion times. They sell the same stuff O'Reillys or Autozone sell at half the price, even with shipping!

Check 'em out then do the math. Pull up RockAuto.com then pull up Autozone.com. Pick some parts then compare. RockAuto has the same brands and part #'s. 9 times outta 10, even after shipping is calculated they'll beat the chain stores by half! In the 'how did you hear about us box' enter 1499935911950372 to receive 5% off.

17. I have two separate orders in process as we speak(type)!

Top top stuff, I use them very regularly! :)

18. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

I use them a lot, no problems, good prices, quick service

19. 66

from usa

They are Good,and have good cust.service although my toes curled when I received a brake hose from them made by Raybestos ,Oh! it was made in CHINA! .I installed it anyway and now keep a bible in the Imperial! LOL Chinese Shit is all around now, Unfortunetly

20. RatPin

RatPin

Better double check where that bible was made lol:p

21. 66

from usa

Right on!!!

Clik likes this.
  22. Just ordered a speedometer cable for my falcon for 1/4 the price of some other places if they had it in stock. I paid $700 for all my parts for my falcon at Rock auto and that was everything needed for a total restoration mechanically. Top quality parts including Moog, Bosch, and Raybestos for cheap.

23. pontiac

pontiac

I order from them from time to time and never had any problems yet. Their prices are usually unbeatable, and so far I haven't gotten a wrong part.

I also like that you can find part numbers there that most local parts stores can't seem to find. Numbers that'll usually cross to something they have in stock, or can get same or next day if you need it quick.

24. Road Angels

Road Angels

There are things that are good that they sell and some is old stuff being dumped buy vendors looking to sell unsalabe items, dont by any thing that is brake related, I have sent back more than I have kept, I like summit, good service never a problem is worth more than saving a few bucks and loss of time

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I comparison shop with several vendors and Rockauto often comes out on top. Where else can you get closeout parts like a $5.95 brake master cylinder or a $2.95 pilot bushing? Remember they don't make or "brand" any offshore parts, they sell the same stuff the other stores do and sometimes its New Old Stock that nobody else has. You do need to beware of shipping costs and sometimes you need to look at inventory in a different Rockauto warehouse to save. As an example of expensive shipping, I was looking at a set of fenders for an OT truck and they wanted $220 to ship. I ended up buying the same Taiwanese fenders for $129 with shipping included on Ebay.

26. As others have stated, pricing, name brand products all good.
    Shipping can be high, and pulling from various warehouses can delay delivery time if that is a factor.
    Anymore you can do your own pricing comparisons on line, from your local chain parts stores..
    Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, are all on line with their own user friendly on line catalogs.
    Savings are to be had, if you do your research.

27. finn

finn

I use them all the time. Make sure you provide a physical address and omit your po box number or the automated shipping software will default to really high cost shipping charges.

Customer service is prompt and friendly. I found a couple of misstates in their online catalog and they fixed them promptly.

28. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I was looking at some struts for one of my cars. All of the local chain stores had some Monroe struts for $189 a piece. I could get both of the same Monroe struts shipped to me from Rockauto for $220. I can wait a few days to save that amount of cash.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We buy from them a lot, but first we crunch the numbers compared to local places, like Autozone or Advance Auto. When I need something I first get the price from local, then I check Rock Auto and factor in the shipping. Sometimes there is a HUGE difference, with RA being way cheaper, but if there is only a slight difference I walk in and buy it locally.

The downside to RA is if you get a wrong part. Generally, YOU have to pay the return shipping and wait for a credit. I bought some brake parts for my Caddy and their site did not specify that there are 2 different brake systems that Cadillac used, so naturally I ordered the wrong one. I had to ship the parts back at my expense and wait for them to get them and credit me.

But for the most part, Rock Auto is great and a lot cheaper.......a LOT cheaper.

Don