Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 Ford Country Squire "Woody"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ReclaimMT, May 15, 2013.

1. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

I have a '56 Ford Country Squire here in Montana. I am not interested in restoring or personally parting out the car. There is no title and I am still looking for a VIN. (It is on my trailer and I have limited access to the interior). I think the car and/or parts may be of use/value to someone. I know I can scrap it, but I don't want to do that. It does not currently have wheels or rubber on it. I am looking into getting some for mobility. Because it doesn't currently have tires and rims on it, I was hesitant to put it in the classifieds. I would love to get suggestions on what to do with the car, if someone would like to buy the car, etc.

Obviously I am a FNG... lol... so I am seeking your knowledge and resources. Thank you! :p

Attached Files:

2. i would guess it weighs about 4000 pounds. that equals 4 or 5 hundred dollars at the scrapper. the intake is for a teapot carb not worth much. the dual exhaust manifiolds are hard to find that arent cracked if yours are good someone might buy them? place a add in the hamb classifieds at scrap price. if it dont sell haul it off to the scrap man.

3. Put it in the classifieds ( under cars for sale) where it belongs. HRP

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The fake wood panels might be of value to someone. I would carefully remove them and sell them seperately (before scrapping the car)

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Try E-Bay under "Woodie Wagons", you never know!

6. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

might be able to get more than scrap value. if not no point in getting less money to save a car thats no better than a parts car.

7. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Painful to see. My mother had a white one, THUNDERBIRD V-8 on the valve covers. I used polish them regularly, was a stick with glass packs, branding iron pattern seats, a 3 seater mind you, when I got my license the clutch failed almost immediately, imagine that. Loved to open the rear window so's I could hear the pipes rap better. Such a car these days would be worth a good bit of money, probably more than a crown vic.

8. I once bought a 56 wagon in worse shape than the one he has. Mine had factory airconditioning. I took the complete dash out and was planning on installing it in my 56 vicky Htp. I sold the HTP and all the extras in 1984. The wagon I owned also had a four row radiator. I still have the rear window. and the cut off front frame section. I saved that frame part because the front crossmember isnt rusted out. Many 55 & 56 fords where junked beecause the front crossmember rusted out and let the lower A frame fall down. If the guy was willing he could sell a lot of parts from the wagon. the bumpers,grille & front fenders are sought after. Myself I would like to have the upper tailgate hinges and rear bumper guards.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

For the sake of trying to help save the car only,I will say I do like those and will post up a inspiration shot, If this thread isnt closed before I have a chance to finish typing....

Attached Files:

10. Look on the front passenger side frame horn for the VIN number stamped into the top of the frame. You should be able to see it with the hood up and leaning over the fender. You may need a flashlight and a small wire brush. Start about six inches back from the front radiator side panel and brush toward the front. I remember when I first licensed my 56 Vicky the DMV officer was trying to find the VIN number. It may be hidden under grease and paint. Good Luck

11. That's an outstanding parts car and most likley a builder for someone wanting a Country Squire . I'm currently gathering parts for my 57 Country Squire. I needed a complete set of wood trim and now have just over 1K in a complete set that needs repair and re finish. You'd be a Fool to scrap that one.
    The Wizzard

12. badshifter

badshifter

13. rld14

rld14

Stick it on eBay, start it at $1 and let it rip. I bet it does way more than scrap value.

Country Squires are worth some coin when done.

14. About two years ago I put a dozen salvage vehicles on ebay with a $200 (less than half scrap value) starting price I didnt get a single bid. I put a add on craigslist and all I got was lookie lou,s and scammers. Another local car enthusiast died the guy settling his estate put them on ebay with no reserve. They all where bought by a local scrapper except for one. I bought a very rough 65chevy super sport Htp for $225 I had to out bid the scrapper. I wanted the front hubs & bearings to convert a Tri five chevy over to tapered roller wheel bearings.

15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Put it up for sale on the classifieds here with the mention that you must bring your own wheels and tires. Also mention the lack of a title. Can't hurt to try and sell it here first.

16. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

Thanks Old Wolf!

I appreciate all of your input and sharing your experiences. I will look at the parts you mentioned and see how they look.

I am not sure where you are, but scrap metal prices are only at $110 a ton up here. I would be lucky if she weighed 4,000, but I am leaning towards roughly 3,500. I wish they were paying over 10 cents a pound up here! I would be doing much better in my recycling business.

17. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

Thank you. I was reluctant to post the car to the classified ads in the car section because it isn't on wheels and tires, so I wasn't sure about the 'rolling chassis' part. I don't want to break the rules and get kicked out!

So does anyone know if I post the car in the classifieds without wheels and rubber, will it be kicked off, or is it ok if I state the fact?

18. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

I would love to see the car rebuilt into an awesome hot rod! Thanks for the inspirational pictures too!

19. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

Thanks for the info and inspiration for not scrappin'.

Are you restoring the original wood trim or is it the fiberglass trim? The model year I have, Ford switched to fiberglass for the 'look of luxury and the ease of maintenance'. I have received mixed reviews on whether or not the fiberglass trim is going to be in good enough condition to restore.

Thoughts?

20. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

Lol.. Thanks! I have heard of so many places the VIN may be stamped, including on the light cover in the rear. I guess they didn't have any standard for placement back then and it was a free for all. I will check into your 'hiding' spot....

21. ReclaimMT

ReclaimMT
    from Montana

Thanks for sharing! I am guessing my motor is the 292 then and all the 312's came with the Thunderbird V-8 on the valve covers. They say their isn't much to differentiate the two engines from the outside, the real difference is inside. I haven't been able to get underneath it to check out the serial numbers on the block either.

I got a great visual from your story!

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

23. If your going to scrap it I hope you plan on taking off all the good parts. Country Squire Wagons were fairly well equipped with options. My brother was into 1955-57 Ford wagons and the trim pieces are worth very good money, they are fiberglass but can be repaired. No one makes re-pop trim for the country squires that I know of? Even if it's damaged you could probably get good money for the exterior trim. Find out what options it has to and remove those parts if you decide to take it in for scrap. You might be surprised.

24. Im locate in NE Ark in the Ozark foothills. 10 cents per pound is $200 per ton. 3,500 lbs would be $350. I get $240 per ton for prepared car bodies. scrap prices are regional. I remove the copper wiring,starter ,generator,heatercore, radiatio, stainless, potmetal, catalyic conveters and sell them seperately. I also remove the gas tank and tires &wheels. I sometimes torch off the bumpers & heavy maetal and sell it for prepared steel. 57 and up fords sometimes have 9 inch rears thay are worth saving. We get 10 cents a pound for old appliances here.

25. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

i wish you were closer to tn. id buy it and fix it if its remotely decent.

26. From 52 up all Country Squire trim was Fiberglass. Fixing the damaged Trim pieces is no more difficult than a repair on a Boat or an Old Corvett. Country Squire trim is just a lot harder to find than an Old Busted Corvett. When you have missing pieces or in my case none at all you'll take what you can find and do what it takes to repair it. It's just Resin and Matt. No different than fixing rusted floors or rockers.
    The Wizzard