Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hardware Store Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, May 15, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I still could drive to the McFaden-Dale in Vegas, and it has been good ten years since I was setting up stores in the area! I do drive to the one in south Phoenix quite often.

2. Not only that, but whenever I order something it is always delivered the next day.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The ACE Hardware down the street from my buddy Ronnie's house had this adorable young asian gal in charge of the nut and bolt stuff. She was great to flirt with for a bit, until she really got to know her "stuff" a bit... Then it just became a battle of wits with her trying to tell me what I need! I kinda prefer my Ace on 7th street and Missouri 'cause they leave me alone to do what I need and even sometimes ask me a question on things like hardware grades for automotive use and such. It too has backfired on me though with things like toilet repair where I get ignored until I ask!

4. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

The big box stores here in Valencia cal have KILLED all the ACE hardware stores here in town.
    There were 4 of them 8 years ago. :( Very sad

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

All hardware is NOT created equal. Buyer beware. I buy a lot from McMaster Carr, but I prefer MSC, as they give you a breakdown as far as country of origin.

6. 48ford

48ford

Before I retired I was a pipefitter. Every time I went to ACE the kid could not cut a good thred. I must of taught 25 kids how to do it right. then they would quit and go back to school.
    Owner still waves at me when I walk in.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Amen on Ace.However,if you ever need really small HIGH QUALITY fasteners,give Hobby Barn a try.Look in their RC model supplies section.All kinds of neat stuff.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. Morgan Hardware here is good, oldest business in the county, in business since 1901 and still in the same family. They know me, trust me to browse and help myself. Found bushings there to replace shift linkage bushings on my '55 Ford.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tractor Supply Co. is another good source for bolts, nuts, fittings, etc. None close by but I always make a point to check them out whenever I run across one of their stores.

10. Benchdawg

Benchdawg

X2 it's amazing

11. RatPin

RatPin

A good Ace destroys Lowes in both selection, price and knowledgable staff. The HD and Lowes around here is a joke.

12. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

The PCV line is a braided water hookup line for a toilet that I got at our local hardware chain store, Canadian Tire.

Attached Files:

13. Mike

Mike

Yup ACE is tops.

In addition to what Chip has mentioned, my local ACE has a section with marine (boats) components and hardware. The marine electrical stuff there is great for wiring a reasonably simple hot rod. Ignition switches, toggle switches, fuse blocks, etc., very robust and with a simple, clean, idustrial look to all of it.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Canadian Tire is great. Last time I was up there I bought two cans of black polyurethane rattle can, can't get it here. Bastards took it at airport security. What was I going to do, paint the airplane? No way I would waste it on that, would have used cheap enamel.

15. shadams

shadams

I have more reciepts from Tractor Supply, True Value and Home Depot than anything else....

16. Bart78

Bart78

I like ace. But when you go in ours you allmost feel like you need to take a tube of ky with you. I like tractor supply better.

17. skinnydude

skinnydude

Just as they say ace is the place . s.s. nuts and bolts screws, and spray paint one stop shoppin. thanks

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Our True Value Hardware back in Nebraska had a full selection of stainless fasteners, and the convoluted plastic wire cover stuff in bulk, by the foot.Allen drive buttonheads were common stuff to them. Great place. Miss it.

19. Scott

Scott

Karls is pricey, but in a pinch its great all kinds of stanless and chrome also

20. We have a little True Value in Midwest City Oklahoma that I've only stumped one time and that was looking for blades on my Cub Cadet Mower. It is a mom & pop place and all the people are gruff but know their stuff. Don't go there if cig smoke bothers you, there is a blue cloud in there everytime I have ever been there looking for bolts. They have a large selection of grade 8 stuff left and right handed variety.

21. George

George

At a car show a guy had a T Bucket with a Ford Flathead in it. The head bolts were easily recognized as Ace Hardware stainless bolts....:eek:

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I needed four 1/2" allen head bolts to screw my T5 into the bell housing. 2 bucks a pop at Ace. Went to Orchard Supply, a California chain, 1 buck each (I was getting other stuff there too). One of those situations where if you want to support the local guy, you pay.

23. CGkidd

CGkidd

Around here I get a lot of hardware from McLendons Hardware. They have a good supply of most hardware you might need.

24. I go here a bunch. I like to buy nuts and bolts by the pound there, it saves a lot of money and I usually have some extras lying around when I need one. I have to go there today as a matter of fact..

25. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

lots of good bits at larger true value stores I even got some rod ends for a clutch linkage

26. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Ace is good if you need it now or have to hold it to figure out what you need, but McMaster is titties. They have everything and their prices are better but you have to factor in shipping and wait.

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My ACE has a full line of everything you need including ammo.
    I flirt with the cashier every time I go in, that way I get two bags of popcorn.
    She gets off today at 5, and should be home by 5:30.

28. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Stainless Steel Turnbuckles to hold my roof down from Harbor Freight.
    [​IMG]

29. Mcfadden Dale hardware is king, Next in line is Orchard Supply then Ace. Home Depot and Lowe's hardware section is a joke...

30. AZbent

AZbent

Agreed that HD and Lowes hardware sections are a joke, at least the ones close to me, but they do have other stuff that can help you fix you car/truck. I really like the ace by my house, this one is not as nice as the last one, that went under.
    Mark