Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SOHC powered black '63 Galaxie drag car in SoCal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yankee Peddler Mustang, May 14, 2013.

1. I am going out on a limb here LOL!! During the mid 70s (when I was a teen) there was a guy who occasionally ran a black '63 1/2 Galaxie "lightweight" at Orange County (OCIR), usually on Wednesday nights. It was powered by a 427 SOHC, 180 degree headers, 4spd, and ran mid to high 10s. It had no lettering or decals, deleted headlights, vintage triangle driver side roll bar, fg liftoff hood w "Boss 429" old style pro stock scoop, chrome steel wheels on (I believe) 11x 29" slicks, Cragar S/S wheels in front w spindles. I've been asking around my FE friends if anyone knew or remembered who it was and/or whereabouts of this car. Any clues???

2. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Wild guess..Sounds like something Paul Benoit would have had; Pro Stock Engineering....

4. Nope definitely not Bedoian. This dude was taller than Paul, not as "polished" either LOL!!!

5. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Do you have your Dad's car?

6. SOHC427

SOHC427

Come on, we need more here. The power of the HAMB had better shed more light on this one!!

7. That's why I came here...best place to ask :D

8. Just an FYI I picked Larry Knapp's brain exhaustively the last few times we were together. He's blown away he can't remember either. I asked another well known OCIR Ford racer from the era who suspected it was Rich Cabrall, but Larry disagreed.

9. Did you ask on the memories of OCIR group on Facebook?

10. I'm actually on FB and one of the 3 admin's for "Memories of OCIR"....Dale Smith and Randy Whitcomb are the other 2. So I guess you can say I did LOL!!!!

What's bad is I have no photo of this car, and it's almost to where I can't sleep at night wondering who it is :rolleyes::D...j/k

I knew a few of those SOHC guys....Larry, Jim Shenberg, and the late Bob Pott. Larry knows Craig Cove. I probably met him, but wouldn't remember. I haven't spoken to Jim in decades, but Larry is supposed to get us in touch again.

11. The guy looked like Davey Lopes of the LA Dodgers (but I can assure you it wasn't Davey LOL!!!)

12. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

Was it a boxtop?? The reason i ask is that there was a black 63 boxtop bought into australia in the early 80's (IIRC) that had a SOHC engine...It was a former racecar with lexan windows etc... The engine was seperated from the car and I believe it is now in John Lynch's 34 ford... I can try and find a pic of the 63....

13. SOHC427

SOHC427

Bring Larry some Coors Lite, and ask again, and I bet your results change!!
    Sorry Larry, I had to, Eric

14. I remember that one in the aussie mags. Sounds like OP's car. Sydney? I'm guessing NSW plates.

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Gary;step away from the bar and put down your drink,you are having a bad dream!!!!! ROY.

16. Ha ha - didn't know that was you :D

But while were at it, not to hijack your thread, but do you remember a 65-6 Mustang Coupe that was a six cylinder with a horse shoe on the side and Lucky Six painted on it that ran either high 10's or low 11's? Pretty sure it was Red or Orange

17. Oh no, who let Roy in here??? Quick everyone, hide your beer :D LMAO!! (j/k).

I honestly don't remember the Lucky Six Mustang, but can ask other Wilson Ford guys, they might remember.

18. I would have sworn it was a slope roof being it had all the other R stuff though the interior was gutted. It also had factory glass too.

19. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

Yeah i think the guys name was wayne Miller, I saw it once at the Summernats in like 1989-90 or so...