Register now to get rid of these ads!

upholstery tools and material question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 327Eric, May 15, 2013.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

First off, I have never done this before . That said, I have decided to build some door panels using pleated marine grade vinyl thats all over Ebay. I am planning on picking up some thin plywood from The home depot for the door panels, and using adhesive, and staples to attach the vinyl to the back of the wood, and screws with (for lack of a better term) upholstery washers to attach to the door. Down and dirty to get me by. How would I attach the wrapped ends to the top, metal plate on my door panel(59 El Camino.) my old panels had the window "fuzzy" strip stapled to the metal, holding the vinyl in place. Can I use a regular staple gun, or do i need something special?

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

I glued my fuzzy strip in place on my 59. Unless you're doing a concourse restoration, I wouldn't bother with staples

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

try looking here - join this social group - upholstery,pictures,inspiration,how to,history
    you will find it in the community boards in the art section.
    good luck and don't forget to post pictures of you work

5. estes

estes

That's a good guide that's posted above. I would use some 1/4" foam under the vinyl. It will look much, much better than just vinyl stretched across the board. Also, how was the original panel held to the door frame? If it was held in by clips, you can still get them instead of screwing in the panels. It will look much cleaner that way and doesn't cost that much more. Just my 2 cents.

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I hate screws,use clips auveco 808 , drill panel and door at one time because they are straight . Pop rivet the fuzzys just use aluminum rivets and be sure they are set deep enough not to drag the glass I have put on hundreds of them and never had a problem.. I use 1/8 '' luan door skins or paneling never had a warped one in 40 + years Good luck Jack