Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedo help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrbuck, May 14, 2013.

1. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

can someone point me in the right directio, i never messed with speedometers before. what i need to know is how to hook up the stock unit in my 58 chevy biscaye to the saginaw 4 speed underneith. i crawled uder there and theres just a loose end of the speedo cable but im not sure what or where iim looking on the trans to hook it. Pics would be a great help thanks

2. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

On the driver's side of the tailshaft housing of the trans about 10" in front of the driveshaft.

3. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

does the cable just screw into the side? or is there a gear housing type deal that it needs to go into?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh boy, we have a serious problem here. And that is not being factious.

This is a photo of a Saginaw Fourspeed sitting on someone's bench. The red circle is around the piece that the speedometer cable goes on. The square end of the cable should slip in the square hole in the gear in the middle and then the nut on the cable should screw on it.
    [​IMG]

5. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

OK thanks for the picture it really helps. ill take a look and be back to let cha know where it stands

6. TCI Auto Trans have a good "Speedo Gear" calculator and they specialize in automatics, but the chart is very helpful for figuring out what gear count you need on the drive and the driven for accurate reading at the speedo. Good luck and safe driving.

Link to the page:
    http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/