Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on 1949 Buick Special front suspenion options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobberash, May 14, 2013.

1. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Hi Guys,

I am just about to ship another fine autmobile down under and I have room in the container for some goodies.

keep in mind standard suspenion is not an option, as I see it I can not souce parts locally to maintain back and front & highly unlikely it will hold up to spirited driving with the planned big block or the standards of aussie roads

Now here is my problem i can find no decent thread or advise options for the front end for this model 1949-Buick special sedanete (technically a 48) and I cannot go look over the car or measure anything as its still state side

budget is not a particuler issue but I must be able to change out coils and airbags (shockwaves; pref ) any given time.

Is the fatman front clip package the best option
    Mustang 2? (which vendor has the best suited for the weight.
    Different bits and pieces front multiple vendors?

Much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a M-II from "JW's Garage" in my 49 Super Sedanette. They advertise in most hot rod publications. There are some modifications to their directions that I can give you to make the install easier if you decide to go this route.

3. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Thank for the info, I was leaning towards a TCI corner killer kit? What's your thought

4. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

NO Helix doodoo

6. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Well that good to know... What would be your choice any Cali shops that do there own ?

7. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

nobody done this before other than fat47

8. I'm currently doing a Jag IFS under a '51 Pontiac if that's any help? I'm guessing the stock Pontiac would be a pretty similar set up to what you have .

9. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

I'd prefer to stick with new steel than retrofitting a s/h , not say the jag a good piece of kit it just give me good flexibility of airbag and coil over options

10. kiwicaddy

kiwicaddy

In NZ Fatman stuff has not got a good name with our certifiers, a friend brought a 35 Ford in with Fatman MII front and to change out a lot of it. Apparently the material was not heavy enough and geometry was all wrong. TCI passes and so does Art Morrison. Hope that helps, I hear Aussie has pretty tight restrictions so be careful. Cheers, John

11. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Are there options available that you would want for the earlier Holden chassis? I've seen those fitted to the Pontiac frame which is pretty close to what you have.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Mustang II was designed for a Ford Pinto - would you really feel happy having something based on that under your heavy Buick? It was never designed for a car that weight and some of the aftermarket abortions are just downright scary.

<table class="infobox hproduct" cellspacing="3"><tbody><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">1942-48 Buick
    </th> <td class="" style="">4,000&#8211;4,400 lb (1,800&#8211;2,000 kg)</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table class="infobox hproduct" cellspacing="3"><tbody><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">
    </th> <td class="" style="">Ford Pinto 2,015&#8211;2,270 lb (914&#8211;1,030 kg)
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Don't even think about it. Jag XJ6/12 IFS is the only way to go on this - and you could throw the IRS under it while you are at it for a magic carpet ride. Plenty of tech threads here on the HAMB. My .02c....

13. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, he does not have a 4,000 lb vehicle. His is a special, which is akin to a 42-48 chevy. There are thousands of M-II's under these vehicles. Second, their road worthness depends, to a large extent, on the installation.

14. suorzuan

suorzuan
    from Buffalo

Come on, you can do better.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. If it was mine especialy with a big block under the hood and truly wanting it to handle well on bags i would clip it with a S-10 with std 7" dia bags / divorce shocks. Shock waves = bad ride / very limited travel / big money IMOP.

No matter who make the M11 + bags on a bigger ride like your 49 Buick = not so good IMOP.

16. Orn

Orn

I'm with Weasel, Jag Xj6/12 is a nice choice. I use one on my 47 Olds and I like it alot.

17. Given the Jag being fairly common down under I think that's a better choice too.

For what it's worth, I believe the straight eight actually weighs more than a big block will weigh, though.

As for weight, the Krause Standard Catalog says it weighs about 3700 lbs. That's an as delivered weight, so with a full tank of gas and a driver, it damn will be over 4000 lbs.

18. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

I did look into a few variants but they are really more suited to a 52\53 chev in terms of track width and weight

19. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

We Dont have pinto's down here so know idea how they originally stood up to test with engine swaps etc.. , but wouldn't the difference in steel and craftsmanship now be considerably different in comparative to 30-40 year old cars?

The Hudson in the avatar has had M2 in it for 8 years before i got it and thats 3200 pounds so says the weighbridge at my work and that handles fantastic in comparison to friends Hudson ... that things feels like it wants to kill you in difference

20. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

In QLD, Australia airbag suspension is illegal where as every other state it is legal. This is why I must be able to change out bag for coli over without modification.

Now our roads over here are pathetic and cannot hold to the rigors of these old vehicles and riding in these heavy beasts is like being beaten with baseball bat hence the air bags, as for handling this im referring more to body roll and corning at reasonable speed not power sliding the monster 80mph.

21. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

22. Bobberrash , before you go the mustang 11 route - Take a 6 cylinder cortina for a spirited drive :confused: SAME front end :eek: .

23. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Really! Didn't know that

24. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If a Hudson with stock front suspension does not ride and handle better than one with a MII suspension you should drive it slowly to a garage, inspect the suspension and find out what is wrong with it. 50+ years of wear and tear takes its toll even on a Hudson.

26. Weasel

Weasel

Pinto = Mustang II - the suspension was designed for and used in the Pinto (1970) before it was used in the Mustang II 1974-78.

Why use suspension designed for a 2000lb car in a 4000lb car when you can use suspension designed for a 4000lb car - and for a lot less money? I buy low mileage clean XJ6/XJ12 front suspension for $300 including power steering rack and swaybar, four piston aluminum brake calipers with big vented discs - try buying an aftermarket Mustang II for four times that amount. Jag XJ6/12 IFS is 59.5" measures hub to hub - that's 151cm to you metric traitors....;)

27. I think you basicly stated you will be driving on some ruff roads and body roll was also unwanted at faster hwy speeds. A smaller dia bag will ride ruffer and also have more body roll when compared to a larger dia bag. You also stated you want to be able to change back to coils. The biggest dia bag you can shoe horn into a M11 is a 5.5". The Jag is a much better IFS than any M11 but has more of an issue with bag size and is limited to a 5". With a S-10 a 6.5" with bolt in plus big fat sway bars are easily found and do not forget it is a light truck IFS so it will take to driving on a ruff road better than the others. Also the tract wight is about 1" narrower than a Jag

Erickson / Extreme Kustoms
    951 678-35250

Attached Files:

28. Orn

Orn

No problem using a 6” Slam bag on a Jag Ifs.

[​IMG]

29. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

We thought the same thing! entire front end was pulled down and Inspected and completely replaced.

The fact is it will not ride as well and as M2.

30. I have seen Fatman clips welded on post war Buicks, a 51 Mercury, and several Hudsons. No complaints from any of the owners.

The stubs are very simple and you could make them out of heavy wall square tubing.

A Corvette IRS fits into the Buick frame like they were made for each other.

I'll bet you could have Art Morisson or Progressive automotive build you a front clip that would accept Corvette suspension as well. Or you could fabricate your own brackets out of plate steel. Been done before.

http://www.progressiveautomotive.co...n/sweet-ryde-c4-corvette-ifs-bracket-kit.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2013