Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to get Sharpie marker of old paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjorear, May 14, 2013.

1. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Mineral spirits,every time.

2. Just did a test

Alcohol takes it off!

3. 46Chief

46Chief

4. banjorear

banjorear

Alcohol took most of it off, but not all. There is a still a "ghost" mark. Since I didn't notice it for a few days, I think it bleed or got soaked into the old paint.

Maybe I'll just configure the planned house-paint numbers on the way in such a way it will cover the left over stain.

I'm not angry about it, really just wanted to try to remove it if I could. I did give him the talk about wrecking other people's stuff and how we should never do something like that again.

He's a good kid, just has a crazy wild imagination and gets lost in his imaginary play sometimes. (which is a good thing)

5. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

You still can remove it. It's just you can't remove it without also removing some of the paint you want to keep.

It sounds like it won't hold your project up, so that's good.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Give him a red marker and show him how flames look.
    My daughter was finger painting and got the idea that my van needed a touch. I had 2 hand prints on the back when I came around the corner. She cried and I gave her "the talk", Then I told her to even it up and go all around the van. I still see em, and the guilt is funny now when I point it out to her. Some times she beats me to it.
    That was twenty years ago. Rich, aint allways dollars man.

7. Normbc9

Normbc9

I use Mineral Spirits applied gently with an old face clothe (Turkish Towel type material) and then wash it off with a dish soap and warm water applied with a soft cloth.
    It has worked for me. Don't leave it more than 30 seconds either.
    Normbc9

8. Ditto That !!! Goo Gone is great for removing almost anything unwanted.

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

10. banjorear

banjorear

End Result: Goof Off worked like a charm. Alcohol lightened it, but didn't remove it. Goof Off took it right off with minimal effort or scrubbing needed.

11. chop32

chop32

Not sure what's in Goof Off, but it worked great for me also. Like I said earlier, my 44 year old lacquer bounced right back with just a little paste wax!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

As odd as it sounds Aqua Net hair spray! and it works. My Mom taught me this after I drew on a table as a child. I have never forgot.

13. BaBa

BaBa

Too bad. In about 15 years you could have guilted your kid into a rebuild.:p