Register now to get rid of these ads!

327 ID help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cb1, May 14, 2013.

1. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Hello all,

Ok, I have exhausted my web resources and what books I have. Here goes:

Block casting number: 3959512

Stamped: V0624XTD (can not find suffix XTD anywhere)

Stamped: GED191047

Date casting number: F 12 1

Crankshaft casting number: 4577 (looks forged to me)

Other misc casting numbers: 010 020 G48 H23 532 51

Block has road draft tube hole, etc..

The connecting rods had gold paint on them?

Came out of a 1962 Impalla (was told), and is a small journal (I checked that).

My problem is I can not find XTD anywhere?? Anyway, got it as a short block and I stripped it today and sent it out for cleaning and crack check.

Thanks,

cb1

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Google: sbc block casting numbers. It's in the first link.

3. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I am looking for the suffix XTD

4. There's lots of guys trying to find out what xtd means. And they all have that block number.
    That casting is was made int the 70's as a service replacement. and reused the early 327 #s too...,

Here's my guess .

XD is early 327 truck engine
    Block is service replacement issued after 3 place suffixes started.

So picture this ,,,
    Hey Larry? What numbers are we supposed to put here???
    It's XD engine but I need 3 letters.

Well what the hell is XD again?

It's a truck engine

Oh yea Moe, I remember that . Well just use a T for truck.

Good idea , but you better tell Curley so he can update the books. 40 years from now those guys will be going nuts wondering what the hell XTD stands for.

Yea I will .....

Curley said nobody's gonna give a shit about an old 327 truck engine. Them guys will say its a corvette motor no matter what he stamps on it !!!

5. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Yea, I see that there are a couple others on the net looking for XTD also. The date code of F 12 1 would make it a 1961 or 1971, and they didnt make a 327 in 61, so I'm leaning your toward 71.

Still would be nice to find the XTD suffix!!! listed somewhere??

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They didn't make one in '61 or '71.

7. Man some of those threads are from 2004 and not one definitive answer.
    Funny but no coincidence that the mystery XTD suffix appears with that casting number , the service replacement .

Make up a different story if you didn't like mine

8. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

You can see I'm not alone..

9. OP ... consider keeping on looking until you get the answer you want to hear but if it isnt in chevy by the numbers then either your reading the numbers wrong ( aint the first time thats happened) ... or its a replacement .

... let us know what you come up with.

10. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

If I may correct you, Yes 327 began (casting) production in early to mid 1961 as to be machined and assembled to be installed into 1962 production vehicles. Yes 1971 saw the factory bring back the 327 as new production. The 70's production was short lived and resulted in a very unique 327 being produced. I can easily identify these as they had many characteristics of the 350 blended with some 327 characteristics. one easy way to ID one is the block was machined for the later spin on filter (not recessed like the Nova block) but had the breather hole in the rear by the distributor. most were stamped CE code but not all.
    To the OP that's not gold paint !! that is furnace brazing, used to allow a rod not in spec to be brazed and machined again to bring it into spec.

11. Rusty

Rusty

The finger trick works the best, passenger side front webbing

12. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Well, I can tell you it had a normal chevy spin on filter with the bolt on bypass checkvalve thingy..

I dont know the "finger trick", but would have to wait to get the block back for that.

Does anyone know when they started the 010 020 under the timing cover. Maybe that would be a date range etc...

Many of the 350's we used for stock car racing had the 010 020 or at least the 010. And they were late 60's early 70's blocks.

Thanks,

cb1

13. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

If your block is a spin on filter block with 5/16 bolts holding on the bypass valve &not needing a adaptor kit, then it passes the 1'st sniff test as a 70's production. lets try test #2 = if you don't know the finger trick, what is behind the timing cover, does it have two large pipe plugs ? or does it look like a 350 in every way except in the rear of the block ? A pic of the filter area and timing cover area would nail it. I just thought of one more to make it a dead ringer #3- look at the main bolts, early SJ 327's had 11/16 heads on the bolts and the block threads are not deep recessed into the main web, the 70's production used 350 main bolts and were deep recessed into the main webs & the bolts had 5/8 heads. The 70's blocks used the main caps and bolts from the large journal 350 only machined for small journal mains.

14. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Ok, maybe getting somewhere now,

The bypass valve came off with two half inch headed 5/16 threaded bolts

#2, I believe it has 3 pipe thread plugs in the front under the timing cover, it is at the shop now, so no picture yet.

#3, The main cap bolts were taken off with a 5/8 socket.

So, I'll take some pictures of it when it comes back.

Thanks,

cb1

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you look for just TD and forget the "X"? Is it a 4" bore?

16. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

There is no "TD" code. And it has a 4 inch bore. And as I said before, small journal mains.

17. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

OK cb The early blocks (1960's) had 2 large, around 1 1/2 dia plugs behind the cover, the late had none & looked just like a 350 (not the oil galley plugs)
    It looks like you have one of the very unique late production 327's. Most say they never existed but I've had 3 of them go through my shop. Rare indeed. I would like to see the pics. If the shop has a 350 just put your block side by side and study them both. I held school for a bunch of my Chevy buddies one day. They broke out singing super freak.
    I do know that a lot went to Germany and were installed into Opel sedans in the 70's none were installed into cars in the US.

18. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I have a couple 350's available to look at when I get the XTD back from the shop. I dont remember any large plugs in the front under the timing cover, but I do remember seeing the three smaller plugs.

Thanks,

cb1

19. chop32

chop32

Early 327's with the road draft tube hole were small journal blocks.
    According to the June 2009 Car Craft Mag online, 327's went to large journal blocks (same as a 350) in early 1968.

20. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

And right you are, but we are not discussing that large journal block that was used in production vehicles in 1968 & 1969
    Chevy produced a entirely new mold pattern block around 1971 that was not intended for production use at least not in the US . The new block was indeed small journal and had features as described in this thread. If you cannot sing just try humming Super freak !!
    This new pattern block was used as over the counter replacement's for those who absolutely did not want a large journal replacement for their small journal block that may have been damaged. I think by 1971 Chevy was long out of stock on SJ blocks & assembly's left over from 1967.

21. chop32

chop32

Interesting bit of Chevy lore...thanks for pointing this out!

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

^^^^^^^^^^^X2

I've been around a long time and learn something every day.

Pat

23. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Chevrolet used 2 letter engine codes in 1969 and earlier, 1970 and later they used 3 letters.

24. i didn't see this site referenced in any of the replies, but there's quite a bit of chevy ID information available here: http://www.mortec.com/

i did a quick look and didn't see any mention of XTD. thought i would post anyway as an added resource.

Sonny

25. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

His is also of Flint origin.. So there is more than one "XTD" out there....

cb1

26. I though we've already established that

27. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I looked at the ad. The intake end rubbers are 1968 and newer so it must be a drop-in (crate) engine that GM sold through their parts dept. It must have been cast and built in Dec of 1969 which would explain the 3 letter engine code that was used for 1970 and newer model year engines.

I knew a guy with a 1956 265 engine that was cast in 1961 that was the same deal.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  28. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I think of lore as like stories about Dragons. Is this the point you are at in believing that a 70's SJ 327 was made ? Perhaps I can show you one ? as the last one I had went to a friend who was building a 57 Chevy Gasser. He had heard about the special block I had and wanted it for his car under construction so I built it for him. The car is in his garage in Valencia Ca. & I can arrange for you to lay eyes on it & then you could loose the lore thing ?