Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best tail lights in a 51 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Sorry, that's just plain wrong.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

NO. NO. NO. The straight lines in that light have NO PLACE on a round, smooth car like a Merc. Just WRONG.

3. '52 Lincoln. Ala Hirohata. Thats what's going in mine. I found an NOS set.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol ! I couldnt agree more!!

hotrodmano likes this.
  5. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I agree, those 95 Caddy lights really fit the quarter panel shape. My 51 Merc has frenched, stock 51 Merc lights that are slightly repositioned.

The stock 51 Merc tail lights sit low IMO.

6. Skirv

Skirv

Me and my dad both have 51 Mercs. Mine has 49 Ford tail lights sunken and mounted vertically which is fairly common I think so no need to repost, but my dad's car has these which are custom made frames and glass. I'm not saying they are the best...just adding options to the thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey Skirv, those make my mouth water!

8. Hhhmmmmm

Attached Files:

9. Lucky444

Lucky444

My all-time favorite...the 54 Packard lens.

Attached Files:

10. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Barf.

11. Yes, go for late 70's Ford as well as 95 Cad taillights. And while doing that: Why not include a console made out of plywood, a tweed interior, a billet engine and a neon paintjob with graphics...

Please guys, never forget what HAMB is about: "Spread the gospel of traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Are these really the stock ones? So used to see them with custom tails that i dont remember how a stock one looks! LOL
    Whatever they are i think they look better than most ive seen.
    [​IMG]

And Skirv, damn man, these are real jaw droppers, n head skratchers too :)
    Pure class.
    [​IMG]

And also Pro stock John 53 Chrysler units look rather good in there.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Skirv, insanely beautiful

14. I like those custom ones on Skirv's green example, I'd be going nuts trying to figure out what they were on....

I had to change mine and wanted some that were as nice as the factory tails but my rule has been not to put stock parts back on the car.

[​IMG]

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is what I'm running. Try to think out of the norm, step away from traditonal
    thinking and you will come up with a kool idea. Everything hasn't been done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

What are those Mick? they sure nice.
    And whats that "bumper guard"? and i dont mean the hot chick, it looks like a air tank with a frenched plate insert but i seem to remember you rolling static?

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't want a taillight to take away from the peaked rear fenders. I love that rear
    fender body line. Also If I could mount the taillights low it would make the Merc seem
    lower. I was going through my library and found a '52 Caddy that had done something
    similar to this. If it looked good on the Caddy it would have to look good on a Merc. The
    bumper is a '52 Caddy and I cut the taillights into the bumperettes. I mounted a taillight
    and covered it with red Plexiglass.

Our original plan was not to cut the bumper, I messed up and was off in my measuring by
    an inch. So we had to do something. Randy Segar came up with the frenched bumper idea
    and I think it works. Eventually the tag will be moved to the middle of the bumper and it
    will contour to match. I have 50 Caddy bumper guards that will eventually be mounted
    beside the plate.

Happy Trails, Mick

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Hey Mick! Your license plate is bent!

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats not bent, this is bent. My tag had a bad day...
    [​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

20. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

You live in France. What old French cars might be available for donation? Here's a 1959 Renault.

[​IMG]

21. You're right about that. I, like any good custom guy, am stealing your idea. I'm picking up my '51 Caddy bumper at the Roundup. I'll be picking your brain to see where I need to cut it.

22. Here are mine they are custom made for me by MATT TOWNSEND. He does outstanding work. They will be bolted to a 54 mercury bumper that has also been reworked to fit the 51 mercury. Notice the mercury head that he made inside the lens.

Attached Files:

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Matt did these for my 51 merc..

Attached Files:

24. I really dig these ^^^^^

25. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

I'm selling 51 brand new tail light covers make an offer

26. [​IMG]
    Wow.......these are classy right here.

27. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

You may not think they are not the best, but I'd put them right up there ! Frenched stock lites look good as do the 54 Merc (frenched). Don't know the cost , but the tailites done by Matt Townsend for john51mer are just spectacular !

28. Tim64

Tim64

Here's my 51 tail lights. Kustom is what you get from Rick Erickson at Extreme Kustoms

Attached Files:

29. Here are a few options. The best ????????

The Erickson's / Extreme kustoms
    951 678-352

Attached Files:

30. DjNeil

DjNeil

Those 53 Chrysler tailights are top drawer
    Bob Hirohata used to make tailights (he did the ones for the Jack Stewart Ford)
    You have no idea how grateful us guys outside of the USA are for the HAMB. We see things on here that we don't even know exists and then with the internet we can actually buy this stuff.
    When I built my Merc in 87 i had to write to people in America and they would send me photos they had to get developed showing me how to do stuff. it took ages. On the one hand I miss those days but on the other you can photoshop your build before doing it and tweak it before cutting steel

here's the Caddy bullet holes
    [​IMG]