Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-59 chevy pickup top chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hectoraven, Nov 9, 2011.

1. hectoraven

hectoraven

hi im searching for pics of chopt 55-59 chevy pickup trucks espesialy in progres or how to pictures

i did a search but didnt find a lot

thx raven

2. I don't have any pics but a little advice if you are going to chop it a ton better get yourself a second roof. You will split it and add a section of the second roof in the middle.

3. hectoraven

hectoraven

mjeah thx for the advice a second roof would be very helpfull but finding one here in europe is almost imposibel im afraid so im going to make my own parts

4. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

What year is your truck? IMO, the '55-'57 pickups look ok with a mild chop, but the '58-'59's don't pull off the look so well

5. hectoraven

hectoraven

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cut the glass first, that's all I got to say.

7. RichG

RichG

I can't help with pics, but having owned one of these and looking at the chop you posted... you have your work cut out for you. Start a build thread when you do get going!

8. You do -NOT- have to have a second roof on this chop at all.....Never do that on this chop....and cutting the glass first in also not necessary.
    I cut these often and even the big back glass model is completely doable [by sinking] that [rear glass only],the windshield was then cut to fit after the chop.
    I built this one in 2000 and it's roof skin is not cut on top of the roof-a 3" chop...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Here's one from Japan...

[​IMG]

I've always wanted to see one chopped just one inch. Real subtle like. :cool:

10. hectoraven

hectoraven

thx for the pics and pointers guys.. but its my first chop and progress pics would still be very helpfull. i want al the information i can get before i start

thx raven

11. hectoraven

hectoraven

nobody has pics :( ?

12. ownster

ownster

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Have a straight on side shot of this one?

14. hectoraven

hectoraven

found some info i can use but i still like to see some progress pics anybody?especially with big rear windows.. i want to chop it 2or 3inch without splicing the roof i know its don before!

15. 100% true. A good buddy of mine did one, and he added a front-to-back filler strip to keep the door tops and the windshield posts in the right vertical location, but you don't need a second top. Consult with a good glass guy before you start. If he's done this before, he might be able to give you some good tips to that'll help him when it's time to install the glass. Here's the only picture I have of his '57. He chopped the top and shrunk the upper cap so it wouldn't look so top-heavy. He did everything himself:
    [​IMG]

16. do a search of Classic truc magazine's articles it was a cover/full feature there-I did not take pics while I was doing the truck sorry........

17. "BAD NEWS"

"BAD NEWS"
    from dallas tx

any updates on this topic ?

18. This thread was started two years ago by clown. I have cut a few of these myself. But if I ever do another I'd start with a 57 Chevy passenger car windshield. They will fit and give you 2-3 1/2 inch chop

belair likes this.
  19. Tommy Wren

Tommy Wren

just saw this post. i made a little how to book if anyone is interested..

av_mx2002 likes this.
  20. BJR

BJR

I am surprised the car windshield is not too wide for the pickup.

21. Sincity57

Sincity57
    from Austin

I'll take you up on the a copy of your how to book if you still have it. I'm getting ready to tackle one of these chops myself.

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

BD8428EA-04C2-4DA8-B414-967F86871ED4.jpeg Since everyone’s chiming in with their opinions, I’ll offer mine:

DON’T chop it. I think the Task Force truck just look odd chopped.

Here’s mine:

Jim Bouchard likes this.