Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to get Sharpie marker of old paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjorear, May 14, 2013.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Well, my 6 year old was in the garage and playing Zoro with a Sharpie marker. Instead of the trade mark "Z", his mark was an "X".

The floor, some of stuff, and the door to my roadster got his brand.

Curious on what would be the best way to remove the marker without removing the paint.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

carb cleaner or brake cleaner... test on something else... it disolves it quick... then wash the panel quick so it doesn't soften the paint....

3. i think carb cleaner WILL effect the paint...i also think turpentine is what pin strippers use to remove the lines they don't want

4. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Often the ink of a magic marker will "eat" into the paint. Run your fingers over the paint to see if the marker ate into the paint. If so, the panel will require sand a re-finish.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. wahoo

wahoo

denatured alcohol

7. 63comet

63comet

I've always had good luck with Zippo fluid, naphtha.

But yeah, Sharpies have a harsh solvent, hopefully it didn't etch too much. Whatever wound it leaves don't fix it. That'll be valuable guilt material down the road.

8. banjorear

banjorear

Thanks guys. Yeah, I hear you on the guilt thing. OK, has anyone used WD40 to get stuff like this off?

9. rain x works awesome!!!!

I also used rain x to get ink pen off of a leather seat and it removed it perfectly with a swipe and left no marks.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A product called Goo be gone works awesome to remove permanent marker.

Just a light rub with a dampened rag and then a quick cleaning with windex and it's all gone. Without hurting paint.

11. Rem

Rem

I was going to suggest WD40. It works on label glue, dirty grease and some marker ink, but I'd check on a discrete area of the paint first. If it doesn't work, then it's just another part of the history of the car!

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

my first try would be glass cleaner then alcohol. should take it off. most other things mentioned have a wax or oil in them. not something I would put on old paint. old probably dried paint will suck up anything oily and leave it looking different than the rest of the car.

13. chop32

chop32

When I got my A coupe, the previous owner had lined out a 3 1/2" chop with a sharpie. I tried a few things without much luck, then I tried Goof Off. It's an aerosol spray intended for graffiti removal. Worked like a charm! Id use it sparingly because It did dull the paint, but regular paste wax brought it back.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. mopar57

mopar57

The bug repellent Off works at getting paint off so maybe it would work on that.

15. Xoro strikes again!

Picrin (dry cleaning fluid) works best for removing sharpies

16. chop32

chop32

Oh, the paint in question was 44 year old lacquer!

17. pigpin75

pigpin75

Use a "Draw erase pin" and fill in the sharpie mark. Then wipe with a towel. It will remove the sharpie mark!

18. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I work in a fine dining restaurant an we mark our chipped china with sharpies so they don't go back in circulation. Later we sell these expensive plates off super cheap and remove the sharpie with rubbing alcohol.

19. That sharpie is hard to remove off of anything remotely porous , & it bleeds thru just about everything you may cover it with.
    Lacquer thinner is going to do a number on 44 year old paint. Try wd40 , or lighter fluid.

20. do you guys have metholated spirits, that works a treat, use it all the time on grafiti

21. larry k

larry k

just use rubbing compound ! if it removes sand scratchs,it will surely remove a ink mark ????:confused:

22. Brian C

Brian C

Use a Dry Erase Marker and go over the Sharpie. It will make the sharpie mark "wet" agagin and you should be able to wipe it right off. We do it all the time on aluminum parts when building robots

23. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Damn, he was marking it as his when your gone! Just spit on it and wipe it off with your thumb. :D

24. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Looks like Wikipedia has a pretty nice section on removing it. It seems to include just about all of the suggestions here.

I think whatever you use on the door will remove a tiny bit of the paint. I would say use a careful hand and you may be able to get it off without taking too much blue with it.

I would stay away from anything like brake cleaner. That is a very harsh solvent. Something like naphtha or mineral spirits evaporates more slowly and is much easier to control.

25. bb1970

bb1970

X2!!!! I'd try to buff it out before putting a bunch shit on it.

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Yep.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Honestly, the "X" looks like the least of your problem. What's that other stuff?

28. Gerrys

Gerrys

With the other stains I wouldn't worry to much about removing some paint.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm always the odd man out, but I would use something made for PAINT. polish or rubbing compound. if I didn't have any on hand I'd use laquer thinner.... or spit and the palm of my hand.

some goofy ideas posted here.

30. banjorear

banjorear

That's funny. It does look nasty after looking at the picts. Not sure what those streaks are. 70 years of barn goo, I guess.