Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy radiator???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19blockhead72, Jun 17, 2012.

1. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I have a 54 210 with a sbc in it and the original radiator. The radiator finally took a crap and started leaking today. The cooling of it was ok since it's been on the road but it got a little hot in traffic.
    Whats the best way to go here. Should I take it to a shop and have it gone over or buy a new radiator. If I buy a new one should I go with aluminum or brass & copper? Do I need a $800 radiator or will the $200 Champion on e-bay hold up ok?
    Just looking for some good input and the best way to go with out breaking the bank. Thanks.

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I don't think i would spend $800.00 on a rad. (my $.02)
    B.B.

3. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I couldn't really afford a 800 dollar radiator right now anyway but I have seen them for that much.

4. skyrodder

skyrodder

my buddy has an ebay $200 aluminum radiator, he added a shroud too and he says it stays nice and cool, going with that in my 54 when i get to that point

5. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

well it's good to hear that someone has had good luck with the "e-bay" radiators. I really hate wasting money on junk.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

My buddy did the same on his 53... we got the SS overflow tank and installed it all at the same time... no more overheating issues anymore!!!

I'm gonna get the same one off ebay, his came with an electric fan also.

7. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I just ordered mine. Really spent some time looking at the different ones on e-bay and finally hit the buy it now button. I really didn't want the aluminum look but a can of semi gloss black should take care of that.

8. Redtoptravis

Redtoptravis

Results? What one did you buy? Did it fit?

9. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

hope you checked Summit Racing, they have some great universal radiators that will work in the 54 at a reasonable price...

10. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

I was going to say Silla Radiator, but you already got one. They have direct replacement and universal ones, plus they are local and have a warranty they stand behind.

11. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

If you can see the leak and fairly easy to get to and have any brazing or soidering exp. You could fix it your self. The trick is very clean wire brush the heck out of it murick acid is the best cleaning agent but not easy to get a hold of.Then use good paste flux dont be affraid to build it up with fill you can grind down later.I like to use the old school soider that has lead it is the best stuff realy.Find it at your local yard sale or astate auction.I did my 54 and save me lots.There is nothing better than original Harrison brass radiators.Try it out.

12. Redtoptravis

Redtoptravis

I went with the American Eagle one from user OSCARSRADS25 on ebay. He garenteed it would fit or he would pay for shipping back and refund all money. It worked great. The onle thing I needed to do was cut and bend the bottom back of the radiator holder because this radiator was thicker than the orriginal and would fit all the way down in. Pretty simple to do. Hack saw and locking plyers. Took an hour for the whole job. Engine stays at 145 F now.