Register now to get rid of these ads!

even tough guys cry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, May 13, 2013.

1. least when you see pictures like these

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. flatford39

flatford39

There is a lot more there than scrap value. What a shame.

4. im sure these are all vintage photos..but back in 1984 there was a junkyard out in grantsville utah that when i called them they told me..gee i wish you would of called a week ago..cuz we just crushed a mess of them:eek: sickning!!!!!!!!

5. Probably all these are old photos,,,just insures what we drive will continue to increase in value. HRP

6. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Oh, the parts......the parts....

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Its Crazy how back then, these old jalopies were just an every day thing..

8. Junk yards have always said that and still do
    Doesn't matter if they did or not

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's all relative.

10. I agree those are vintage pictures. I could buy a running car for $50 back in the sixties & early seventys. a weeks wages was $64 before taxes. If they had 70,000 miles or where ten years old they where considered junk. there wasnt any blue book loan value. If they had not scrapped a great number the cars wouldnt still have any value. I know of a dealer who owned a Ford dealership. Every car traded in was driven to his farm and parked in a field. He reasoned if used cars werent available more folks would buy new. 50 years later the field was a woods. the guy died and the family tried to sell them for $300 each. they sold very few. they crushed 2,000 cars and averaged $475.00 each.Even today scrap price is usually higher than what most hobbiest can or will pay for a parts car.

11. Hotrodders see parts in the old stuff, scrappers see dollars. You want to save the old stuff, pay more than scrap price and you'll probably get it. If you're not willing to do that, don't whine about how the stuff is getting scrapped out.

12. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Some of these photos are from 1971-2 of California scrap yards.... Still makes me sick!

13. hot rust

hot rust

i saw a lot of mr verkler's cars as they were being hauled off, sad day. but i was also told that all the a model a stuff had been sold off back in the 70's, as well as most if not all of the 2 dr cars that were there. was at ben's place saturday and found a couple of diamonds in the rough though.

14. lht

lht

made a whole lot of shopin carts and? damn shame even if there old pics

15. so we post photo's like these....because they make us happy....?

fuc...the dumb shi....I was a kid working at 15 - a teen in the early 70's....just to make a dollor....and riding my HT1 in to work....

16. No they are not suppost to..but photos like this make us that love cars dream of man if we could of save that...and that...just dreams..thats why we are here...hell i love seeing wooded areas with old cars with trees growing up in the engine area or stumbling across a river bank with old cars lining them.. they are still art no matter what

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. Rob68

Rob68

Sobbing! Pic #5 would make a neat wallpaper. Still, it's a shame to see.

18. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

They stacked those up thinking it was junk saying: "it's not like its 32 Ford coupe or a 35 Auburn" the same way they stack up modern cars saying: "it's not like its a 64 Impala or a 57 Bel Air. 45 years from now, someone is going to cry over a pile of Hondas and Toyotas... Wait. What am I talking about?

19. hahaha....crazy but true...i remember saying who would want any of these 70's cars i saw them in the big nickle paper ads when i searched for my 55 chevy in 1984.... and trucks of the 50's and on werent even on the radar for the most part..now they are gold

20. at 17 i used to go from salt lake city over the mountain to little towns west and knock on peoples doors and ask to go look at cars in thier fields...suprising most let me..i remember seeing for the first time a pontiac chieftan with the amber indian head..i just went WOW!! i ran into one guy who was crazzyer than a bedbug though..all he had was old mercedes in a barn

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats pretty much the sum of the story. Cars that couldn't be given away 30 or 40 years ago are going for big bucks these days.
    In 1974 I bought a 1970 Chevelle SS for $1600, rectangular port 402, Turbo 400 etc. Thats all they were worth then. Last year I saw an identical car on Barrett Jackson sell for $48,000.
    In 1980 I bought the '56 F100 that is my avatar for $250, locked up motor and all.
    It is what it is. That said, if I came across a junkyard of old cars like those in the pictures and could afford to operate a classic car junkyard you can bet your ass I'd buy it.

22. rld14

rld14

Those were just out of style, worn out, worthless old used cars back then. You guys gotta remember, the extreme vast majority of cars like ours are dead, gone, buried, scrapped, crushed, recycled, etc.

That's true of most any old stuff... How many Pre-War FADA Catalin radios broke and were thrown out? Almost all of them.

Want to see me cry? When I get the call that my cars that got washed into (I presume) Barnegat Bay from Hurricane Sandy are found... Those cars lasted 56-53 years in good original condition and didn't need to die. :(

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ouch! Major suck factor there. I cringe to think what happened to them.

24. What makes me more sick is a salvage yard auction last week where good stuff people want now went to scrap, for less than scrap prices. $400 or so would have bought most anything.

And to top it off, one of the cars I did buy a scrap dealer stole, told them to load it and they did, stuffed it into a tank truck body that had been cut open. They didn't check the lot numbers. Goodbye '30 Studebaker doodebug and about $1000 in parts plus a frame stub I needed. Assholes.

25. Veach

Veach

We can't save them all but we can save what we can and that's all we can do

26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I will never understand the attitude that sees an old car ruined and says "Well, it makes mine rarer and more valuable."

What are you? An old car guy or an accountant? I want to see MORE oldies around, values be damned!!

I guess it's just trying to put the happiest face on the thing.

28. I went to the auction those folks had at Westville OK. They had a standing $300 starting bid from a scrapper. I thought most of the cars there brought good money. If a person has more money than the scrap man he can buy a clapped out project. The black 56 mercury HTP was the only vehicle in the whole auction listing that caught my eye.

29. Ive got my place covered with old junk. Im past 60 and realize ill never do anything with them. Im tired of looking at them. Im more tired of lookie loos that are bargian hunting. This week a 65 chev four door and a 64 ford pickup will go to the scrap man. I lost my job in november of 2011. the hoard will be greatly reduced by the end of this year.

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

There's still a difference between doing something out of necessity, and arguing that it's a good thing because it makes the survivors more valuable. The value of old iron is nothing compared with a man's life and I hope you don't think I was suggesting otherwise.

I suspect it still makes you less than happy to send something that has survived nearly 50 years off to become scrap iron.