Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 gmc wheelbase and camaro clip questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, May 13, 2013.

1. i am about to reclip my 56 gmc, using a 80 camaro front frame and suspension, the frame appears to be original and unmolested. the wheelbase is 112". anyone have any specs on this, everything i can find says it should be 114".

when installing the clip, everyone seems to be moving the front wheel centerline forward about 1.75" to center the wheel in the wheel opening.
    any thoughts on this?

and lastly, some people were welding the top of the lower portion of the camaro frame to the bottom of the truck frame, others welded it up into the truck frame so that the bottoms of both frames will be even, thus lowering the truck another 2 inches. i plan on bagging the truck. what have you guys done to get it really low?

2. rc57

rc57

I did mine that way and it came out very nice. A lot stronger than splicing. You should hang your fenders before doing any welding, I lenghtened mine only an inch. One nice thing is that it make the body lower but not the suspension. if you get any tire rub you can put a thicker body mount at the front of the cab. You will need to make your own bumper and radiator bracket and misc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't know the answer and have never done this job, but I'm giving you a bump for now and later today I'll try to reach an old friend who put an IFS of some sort in a '56 Chev. Cameo for his brother. It was a one owner truck when they got it.

4. i looked at your photo album on that truck, it looks good, an inch will probably do it, your look right!:)

5. i wish i had a cameo box:D

6. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Adjusting the wheelbase plays better on the 58/9 since they have a different shape opening that looks more offset when lower. We just did one and laid the truck frame on top as shown in the pics. I don't care for the spliced style, haven't done it but it appears to be messier and more complicated to get straight.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

My 55 GMC is done with the lapped version wich I feel is a better and stronger setup, if you take the time to notch the lower rails a little on the truck you can even retain the stock tranny x member for an easier install of the drive train. My wheel base is approx 114 with the tape setting on the ground next to the truck( not exact ) i just did a quick check because I couldnt remember its been along time!

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Cameo I wrote about had a Chevelle frame stub installed by a shop in Atlanta, says the brother I thought did the mod.
    Makes sense because there were an awfuil lot of Chevelle frames floating around from dirt oval racers using Chevelle, Chevy !!, and Camaro bodies with "55-'57 Chev. frames (with adjusted wheelbase to match body) undeneath back then.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  9. i agree about it being stronger, i'm still confused about the wheelbase, mine is 112". i checked out your truck in your photo album, very cool!

10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

The manuals say 114" I have yet to measure a stock truck at that length. Most 112"-113", seems its at the rear where it's weird. I adjusted mine when I flipped the rearend (dropped stock axle in front) moved mine an inch to center up with the bed. Check out the GM heritage center archives, there's some good info there.

11. ok good, i thought it was me:D

12. rc57

rc57

Not sure where my pix in my post went, I'll try again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. nice work, i'm curious to see how the body will sit when installed:)

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Jen's 58 was done with a 82 camaro clip... I like it mucho better than that over lapping thing that eveyone does (YUK!). It just looks so much cleaner!! Can't tell me it's not strong either!!!

Attached Files:

15. ...I did mine like this, (72 Nova sub, butted & boxed)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  16. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Any more pictures? Like a before, since we can see the after.

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

It was already done when we got the truck, so no in progress pics. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see?

18. today is the day...i striped the front clip yesterday. i think i have a game plan for doing this now. i'm going to cut and notch the existing frame and set the camaro clip up and into the old one so that the bottom of both is even. or thats the plan anyways, i'll post pics when i'm done.

19. beater40

beater40

there is a method to set it up, you need the front guard on before you do anything, sit a wheel up in the wheel opening at the desired ride height, set it in the gap to look right, measure it, do the other side, measure the wheel base again, the lower you go, the further forward you need to push the wheel forward, and before you cut, measure again, good luck

20. i think i'm going to go 1.5" forward from stock, that measurement seems to be the average of what people are doing.

21. alot of guys are doing the butt weld style, however i think the notched "stack" is ther way for me, i think i'll have more success doing it that way:)

22. 1958Warrior

1958Warrior

atotalnincompop, Ive had the same ? bouncing around in my head also.
    I'm in the process of doing a clip now on my 1958 apache ,I am going the grafted route following the No Limits Engineering video T-101, I did research and decided to go that route.
    However I am going to add 1"+ to the wheelbase.(test and fit route)

I would also like to see pics of the different years 55-57 vs. 58&59 and their measured wheelbases to center the front wheels better.
    A couple of good threads on both ways graft and stack are :
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=220256

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148978

23. i went with the notched into the old frame technique, i'll post some pics later today, i'm pretty happy with it.
    now i just have to step notch the rear.

24. dadsdreamcar

dadsdreamcar

Sombody told me once about using the front suspension off a 67-72 chevy truck. I Have not measured to test this tho.

25. 1958Warrior

1958Warrior

How 's the progress going? Any picks?

26. ...mock up the frame/sub, hang a fender and adjust it to your liking, that's the pefect wheelbase.

27. 1958Warrior

1958Warrior

I measured my wheel base prior to disassembly was 113 1/2", marked centerline +1" which should've given me 114 1/2" wheelbase . Using the front of the shock hole as the Camaro centerline, hung the fender, the wheel centered nice in the opening
    However the wheelbase actually came out to be 115". Came to be 1/2" more than expected but right were I wanted it .

If I had gone 1-1/2" and NOT hung the fender ,I would've been too far forward.

I think the fact that the bushings were wallered out on the front leaf springs were part of the reason the math didn't add up as expected.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Gator

Gator

The thread below had a ton of good info, unfortunately it got locked recently (this one probably will as well)

Clip you Chevy in one day!

At least it didn't get deleted...

Been working on my '55 as well, trial fit and trimmed the fenders last week. Hope to have it back on the road in another week or so.

[​IMG]