Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 plymouth 5w powered by HEMI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jen......

Jen......

have same problem with a 1933 pick up frame where someone cut off a IFS now its missing 3 ft of the front section.

subscribed to this thread as well , to give me inspiration on this one that is here

Jen

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

im not sure of the original wheelbase for these cars but what i did was looked at several stock plymouths and referenced where the front fender ended and where the running board began. that got me into the ball park with my frame length. ive got tons of room all around on my frame. i think that might change as i add more and more components onto the car.

3. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

awesome!!! i just scored a glove box door for my plymouth for $34. im happy happy happy

4. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

As a quick aside ...if you know of anyone looking I have 2 glove box doors,2 headlight stands{ 1 needs some help } 2 headlight buckets only { 1 has a couple cracks} a fiberglass hood top,2 fiberglass fender braces and a fiberglass rumble seat lid. Also the trim piece that goes over the top if the dash right below the windshield.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  5. filthy frank

filthy frank

nice build , makes me want to jump back on the 33 and finish the bodywork !

6. filthy frank

filthy frank

heres a pic from three months ago

Attached Files:

7. IB

IB

Hey mate I own your car's sister here in Australia, mine has been on the road for 3 years now & I built it from a 4 door sedan, since you can't get 5 window Plymouth coupes out here. I wish I had those rear quarters you are using, I had to make my quarter windows from the sedan rear ones moved forward & the lower rear quarters are from a Mopar roadster a (probably not a 34). I want to encourage you to keep going because you will love your coupe, there is truly nothing like a Mopar coupe! I have tried to attach photos of mine but Didn't have any luck, If you want I could email some
    Regards John Baker

8. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I built a roadster out of a deuce coupe Plymouth a few years back. The top was too far gone to even try to save so we found some original bows and rag top hardware to turn it into a roadster. Love what your doing to yours. We ended up with a late model Hemi in it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

been awhile since ive worked on the coupe. been working alot of overtime at work. basically just worn out. this past week i worked just reg. 40hrs and had some energy by the end of the week and figured i would tackle the windshield frame. i was able to unbolt it after soaking it for the past few months with wd40. then with a little heat all the bolts came out!!! i was really amazed. usually they always snap.

right now im in the process of trying to save the windshield frame. the bottom section and decent. but the top part of the frame could have gone into the scrap heap. but since ive got nothing else to work with i must make a attempt to rescue the frame section. weather has gotten the best of it over the years. the frame has holes all over it....rust holes. also where the frame is rolled and pinch from factory its now swollen into a mess. the frame i would say grew 1/4 becuase of rust.

i just got done sanding the whole frame and wire brushing it. now am letting it set with jb weld poured into any hole i can find. there is no way at all to weld it up.

10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Please tell us you are kidding about the JB weld. I couldn't imagine a technical welder using JB weld. Sweet project anyways.

11. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

Send me a email and I will send you some pictures of what a 31 Plymouth frame looks like. The frame you have looks similar. I have a book that list all the wheel bases. I used a 34 Plymouth frame under a 31 and it dropped the car down a lot. The 31 body fit better on the 34 frame than it did on the 31 frame.

12. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i wish i was kidding. the jb weld is a last ditch effort to save the windshield frame. if it does not hold up i will have to find another. even as i fix this one im looking for a replacement. i found a website of someone making new frames for these plymouths. im going to try and get ahold of them. i would love to get one thats chrome plated.

13. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

found some fenders i lost and or forgot i had in the shed... not sure what they are off of but i think they look better than the 32 chrysler fenders. what yall think? i just layed them up there with some tubing for support. if i run these fenders i will have to shorten the front wheelbase 8 inches. it will bring the radiator about 1.5inches away from the engine like it normally is on these old hotrods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Nice build. Makes me long for the '34 Plymouth PE coupe I had a few years ago. It was absolutely rust free. I didn't realize what I had till it was gone. [​IMG]

15. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

wow...that is super clean looking. what is with the wheels are it? is that a huge center cap?

16. Cortney

Cortney

Those are "wire basket" wheels.. A wire cover would cover the whole wheel and attach to the center and that's what you see in that picture.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

just got back from louisville ky hot rod nationals and full of inspiration. so i went striaght to the garage and worked a solid 2 hrs with great end results. i cut the frame once again and i shorten the wheelbase by 6 inches. this placed the radiator about 2 inches away from the water pump pulley. really happy with it all now. does not looked stretched out.

i do need some reference measurements though if someone can pull a tapemeasure for me. i need the distance from the bottom rocker of the body to the top of the front fender/running board. also i need the distance of the bottom rocker to top of running board infront of the rear fender. i think i might have the rear fender clocked wrong. and i think the front fender is toclose to the ground under the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

bump for some measurements.

19. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

recieved measurements to get me going this morning....made killer progress. fenders are mounted good enough to support their own weight. still need alot more bracing but atleast i dont have to run that rachet strap across the fenders....that was so dorky looking.

already started molding the shell to fenders. i spliced the top of the grill shell because the tip top was at a funky angle and just didnt look right.

yesterday i was able to buy some chrome reverse rims. brand new in the box. with baby moons. 15" x5 fronts and 15x7 rear. wish the rear was wider but ohwell. i couldnt pass up a $300 deal. now i just need tires. i want little in the fronts....like 195 i think....and big uns in the back.

also im sorry if i affend any purist on the board. this is a mild custom...one could say retro rod. but im trying to stay as true as possible with many aspects to keep it traditional looking.

now for some pics. i know how everyone on here likes pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

lowering blockes installed on the rear. 4inch total drop. looks tons better.
    fabed up some more of the floor pans. and also mocked up the steering column enough to get a good idea about where it might end up.

then i got my wife to take a picture of me imagining that im burning the tires off the coupe

[​IMG]

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looking good! The current set of front fenders definitely look better and dropping the rear 4" was a major improvement too. Looks like you have the proportions just right. I'm kinda tempted to do a photoshop of your car to get a better idea of what it could look like.
    As for the "vroom vroom" moment I'm betting we're all guilty of that! :D

22. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

Go for it! i be very interested in seeing what you come up with. If you need a different angle or something lmk. Thanks chris

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Will do! If you can post a photo similar in angle to the black car in post #74 that should do it.

24. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

this is the best i could do....cant wait to see how you do on transfering the picture.

[​IMG]

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks, I'm on it. May take a few days, that job thing seems to get in my way. lol

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Chris, any progress on your car? I've been working on the photoshop and have two questions; what color(s) do you have in mind and are you going to build running boards? I'da pm'd you but wanted to give your build thread a bump. :D Eli

27. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i was thinking about painting it a metallic red. yes running boards. just havent made them yet. lol thanks for the bump. been busy working a new muscle. my wifes 07 mustang needed a body kit

28. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a little visual for ya....

[​IMG]

29. Weasel

Weasel

Or even better complete with your chrome steelies....

[​IMG]

30. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

What is it with these guys with beautiful cars and then they stick these bullet holes all over them ?????