Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest San Diego road trip next week!!! (PICS update)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falcon Sprint, May 13, 2013.

1. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I am headed to San Diego next week. One of my twin, 26 year old daughters moved out a couple of weeks ago, she rode out with her step father. Now, I get to drive my other daughter out.

They are living in the San Diego/Santee area. Any cool shops in the area I need to visit?

We are driving from Kansas across the lower part of Colorado and through Vegas and then dropping down to San Diego. Any must do stops on the way?

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. I think the Wedsday nite Main Street car show is about to fire up ... in El Cajon, might want to check into that ... Im heading down there next week. Love the area but wouldnt want to live there ... again! LOL

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have a friend, Tom, who is the counter guy at El Cajon Auto Electric. 317 N 2nd st.
    He's very helpful and knows things goin on.

4. El Cajon Auto Electric has been around forever ... they had a nice stock 32-34 pickup sitting in their yard for years ... back to topic!

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

There is a few shops but nothing really worth checking out. the pep boys on 2nd street has a new speed shop, its kinda cool but nothing you cant get in summit or speedway. E and M auto parts is great but again not cool for a visit. Old cars and parts stocks lots of model a parts.

I would recommend going to balboa park and seeing the auto history museum and the airplane museum that is next door. The aerospace museum was originally built by FORD for the 35/36 California exposition as well as the theater next to that.

I tell everybody that visits San Diego this. Go to Tijuana! Its totally safe and fun.

6. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Are there any In-n-out burgers in San Diego?

7. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

If you like old trucks then you should go to the Motor Transport Museum in Campo. It is a beautiful backroads drive east out of SD and right along the border. A must see for old truck fans!

8. el mirage starts off the season this weekend with a two day meet.

9. aojo

aojo

and if you are into beer at all, this is the mecca for microbrews. You are a little early for most weekly hot rod events but there is still plenty to do otherwise ---- but bring your wallet. Just was told admission to Sea World is $78 per person and my grand kids are due in town in June.. SD. Zoo is a bit less.. both world class attractions though.

10. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I went to the San Diego Zoo back in the early 80's, but it just couldn't be the same if I got to go with my grandson this time.

11. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Great ideas, any more? I'm headed out in a couple of days.

Any good Ford parts suppliers or original parts stores in between here and there?

12. Cruisin' Grand in Escondido, North San Diego County, some O/T cars, but some nice traditional hot rods as well. Last time I was there, they had a dozen or so front engine AA/Fuel Dragsters there sitting on the street, they fired them up, and saw Hubert Platt's old Thunderbolt...good times.

13. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

We had a blast!

We went through the lower part of Colorado and saw deer and elk off the side of the road, we went by the "four corners" (where Co, UT, AZ & NM touch) and even stopped by Vegas.

In Vegas, we had time to stop by Rick's from "American Restorations". We couldn't take pics of Rick and the crew, but I snapped a pic of his truck.

I got to spend several days with my daughters and grandson!

I made it to the Heritage car show in Escondido. (see pics)

And last, but not least, I got to eat an In-N-Out for the first time. (and bought 3 t-shirts)

Too bad I waited so long to buy my ticket back, it was more than double the price of a round trip because of Memorial weekend! Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Rick's truck
    [​IMG]

Heritage car show in Escondido
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]