Register now to get rid of these ads!

paying for your habits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60widewhitez, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

Make as much money as I can ,live beneath my means, keep the bills low, my wife works and loves cars too , no credit cards, no kids (yet) = plenty left over for my projects.

2. I have a deal with my wife. I pay all the bills, and spend time with the family, and then I can play with cars. She gets final say on the colors of the project, and she get a piece of jewelery for each car i buy. She asked for a car of her own, so that is why I started the 55 ford project. All in all, it seems to work for us. The car funds were the first to get cut when business took a radical downturn 2 years ago.

3. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

4. chopitdano

chopitdano

I stayed single........that leaves my budget open!

5. ecna

ecna

I've been into cars long before my wife came along. While I try and explain that she knew what she was getting into with me, of course it doesn't always go over well. With that said, I always try and be reasonable and 99.9% of the time my family obligations come first. I also always have tried to buy and sell some stuff to help fund the hobby outside of regular income, but most of the time it's not enough.

It's all about finding the right balance of family and your hobby. It's different for some guys and for some wives.

6. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I used to drink a lot so I think this is a helluva lot more productive... I have seen the dave ramsey stuff too. I paid of my daily and hers is paid off in november, one credit card with no balance and one that is slowly going down that we don't use.. Plus, if she gave me the green light for my 57 merc I could make the payment by valeting cars one extra saturday a month. When i get my Rn I will work a lot of bonus shifts(time and a half pay) and i will quickly have my dream car and a lot of accessories for it... Shane, you can do the rockers,so order that moonmist paint buddy!!

7. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

ttt... any more advice?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. In addition to my earlier post on this thread, I wanted to add this little tidbit.

I've been a lunatic for old cars since I was just a little fella and it's never let up. So....when the girlfriend came along who was to become my wife, she knew very clearly, that this was a passion of mine. And really, "passion" doesn't really do it justice....I'm consumed with my love for old iron....stock, hotrodded, it doesn't matter.

Looking back, I should've sought out a girl car fanatic.....I would've been matched up better.

But I didn't, and for just a normal (non car fanatic) girl, my wife has been VERY tolerant of my obsession.....but then like I said, she knew very well what she was getting herself into.

A good marriage has give and take though. If she has an obsession, it's being near her parents and multiple sisters. I knew that going into it though and have always sought employment that keeps us in southeast Texas where her clan lives.

I was pretty sly however, where it comes to my 54 Ford. We went on many of our dates in the 54, I proposed to her in the 54 and we drove away from our wedding in the 54....so now she's as attached to it as I am. When money was really tight a while back I suggested selling it and she threatened to divorce me if I did.....I thought that was pretty cool.

9. bardahl1

bardahl1

I already had the first 32 when we got married...

I forgot to ask with the 2nd 32...

I forgot to ask with the 3rd 32...

I forgot to ask with the Indian...

I forgot to ask with the Vincent...

I guess I'm forgetful...

10. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Working as an RN now and opened up an old stuff account. I started with 5$ and I should have close to 5000$ by next spring!!! I will keep you posted! The car in my avatar is on hold for me!!

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My wife made really good money when we were working. More than me, in fact. However, our salaries went into the house budget. My car addiction was financed by working overtime 3 shifts a week.

12. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

My wife and I worked hard to pay off all of our debt and when we got done, we started saving for retirement. Once all of that was squared away, we budgeted what we had left. We both get an allowance and we spend it how we want. When I feel guilty for something I've bought, she reminds me that its "fun money" and if I can't have fun with it then I have to quit making it. She doesn't get excited about the car when I accomplish something but she won't let me quit either. She's a keeper.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. LostHope

LostHope

the ol lady and I work our life style around my old cars she never complains and is into them, its actually pretty nice and guess im lucky! As far as a car budget goes, My budget is not paying a car payment every month, have a 54 ford,66 c10, 73 vw(ol ladys car) even tho they are far from show cars I own them all out right, so instead of paying high cost insurance and payments for a newer car that only will deprecate in value , I spend a hundred here or there a month on fixing,upgrading and maintaining my classic daily driver cars...works out great I feed my habit this way and work on all my own stuff so theres never any labor fees of taking them to a shop or smog,and i get to drive around in style and not a over priced new plastic disposable car , that i have to use a computer to find out the o2 censors bad and why the engine lights on and cant pass smog....this is how I see it,and justify spending money on my cars:D

14. trollst

trollst

As an older guy, I can tell you that as a young guy, seems everyone in the car game has more money than you do. As you've read, not so, I have always financed my habit by trading, selling, begging, working on the side, doing whatever is necessary to keep it going. Never have I lied to my old lady, never will, the only times that car money has come from the house money is when the odd fantastic deal comes along, then I feel guilty for awhile and will try to make it up although I don't have to.
    Most of us practise this form of car ownership, it for me IS the biggest part of my hobby, keeping in mind that it is in fact, a hobby, not an addiction, finding that right part for the cash you happen to have in your pocket is very satisfying as is aquiring something in a trade that you feel was a fair trade.
    I try to make people I talk to about old cars that saving for parts and horse trading is also the biggest part of the hobby, helps maintain the interest level for us hardcore gearheads, the gold chainers can afford to get bored with a car and move on to the next with no attachment, but for those of us with little means, its a great hobby, a great way to meet like minded folks, don't think the guy next to you is better off cause you have to struggle, we've all been there.

15. LostHope

LostHope

I agree, im a bartering fool...

16. My toys are paid for by side work and horse trading, very little if any house money gets used on my toys. It has bee this way since the kids were little they are in their 40's now.

Lee

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

here is how it works at my house.. i was lucky to find the best woman i coudl every ask for. she supports my sickness like no other.. i was also blessed with a woman that wants to work and work hard. she does a wonderful job at work, at home taking care of our animals and our horses, she keeps up with house work, and i help when i can. but our bills come first, not matter what. we dont barrow money for the hot rod, we dont short ourselves cash for living. we just do waht we can when we can. and luckily enough we both make good moeny for this area. but even when we were not, it was the same way. if i had a $100 a month to blow on the car i awas more than happy. you can make a little go a long way if you shop around.. i help alot of guys out.. with anything i can. i do alot of work out of my garage to make a few bucks. anything helps. wheel and deal. my car has come along ways on almost no money. good friends and doing favors really paid off for me. they helped me out alot with parts i couldnt find.

18. Bart78

Bart78

Do your best to get the family interested in cars. Don't force it. My kids are six and seven and love to go for rides. The weather was nice yesterday. So we took a stick t that belonged to my grandfather for a ride down some old roads around here. My seven year old daughter is just nuts over the cars. I have a 53 skyliner that I picked up a few years ago. And she wants it painted pink. I started by flipping cars I would find. Now it gets harder to sell stuff. Because the stuff I get now. Is stuff I really like. Don't lie about any of it. That will just make the wife resent your cars. Try to make it a family thing. It's more fun that way. And there is nothing better than having your kids helping. Or think they are helping. Me getting the kids involved got my wife more involved. Just remember they come first.

19. Besides my regular job that paid the mortgage,feed the family and paid the rest of the bills,,I worked with a friend that did remodeling on the weekends and hung wallpaper to support my hobby's. HRP

20. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

I don't run across extra money ...I go out and look for it!
    I go to yard sales, estate sales, car swaps,junk shops.
    It's all about BUY-SELL-TRADE....and not just car stuff....do your home work , find out what stuff is worth...use your phones for info while your out looking around ...ebay etc....if you work it ..it works!!!!
    be patient...
    U D

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

One of the things i have done throughout our build, I save my one dollar bills from change made during day to day purchases. You would be surprised how it adds up....
    ....pretty funny the looks i get at the bank....

22. 66cayne

66cayne

ditto...

23. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

$treet racing/side jobs almost every weekend....

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Motorized vehicles have dominated my life since my grandfather let me steer his tractor sitting on his lap at age 3. To say I eat, sleep and breath cars would be an understatement. After over 200 of the crittters have passed my ownership I think I've got a pretty good handle on how to make this hobby/obsession work. Early on it was mowing lawns, shoveling snow, delivering papers and anything else that would turn a buck was fair game in aquiring a car or part. After marriage a second and sometimes a third job along with parting out cars and trading parts and labor for whatever I wanted filled the bill. I've never spent a penny out of our regular income on my hobby and the hobby has enhanced the family income and aquisition of many "family only" items on more occasions than I can recall. Being married to the best wife in the world (sorry guys, you might have good one...........I've got the best) has made all of the difference many times when a sticky situation has occured concerning priorities. She simply lets me "do what I feel is best". Calling her a "keeper" just doesn't cover it.

Frank

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a news flash for you, and one day you may remember this and say "He was right".

If something like buying a car "almost cost you your marriage" then it is practically over now.
    A real marriage would not be killed by something like that. You are hanging onto something built like a house of cards.

One day you will look back and say...

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you actually have one that means that when she says it, she is extremely rare. They NEVER mean that when they say "Do what you want", or "Do what you think is best" :D

27. Teej

Teej

I'll echo what a lot of folks have said and that I think you have a good handle on already. Don't lie, take care of family obligations first, but don't just abandon your dreams.

For me, my wife has been in my car maybe twice, it's not her thing but she understands that it is mine. I chose to not have a "daily driver" and drive my '58. Sure it makes it tough to get big projects done, but I'm not spending money on something my wife sees as a money pit in the garage. It gets gas, tires, and oil just like her modern car but I'm happy as can be every day when I get in it to drive it to/from work. My kids love it and have finally stopped asking why my car is "so old, or so loud, or so dirty, or doesn't have carpet or a DVD player..." But they still keep pointing out that everybody seems to wave to us in your car and give us a thumbs up!

Be honest with your family and yourself and you'll do fine.

28. I am going through this dilemma right now, I have been working on my shoebox for what seems like forever...learning as I go, I had to keep it @ my brothers shop, not near my house, but close to work. In the past year I have not worked on it much, as My wife was pregnant and I spent the year working on things we never planned on needing, nursery guest room, etc.. Now that she has had the baby, all of My time is expected to be spent at home, doing more home projects.

My brother has basically told me that since I haven't worked on the car "enough" in the past year that he wants it "gone".... I have no room @ home, nor am I allowed by city by laws to have a non operable or non-registered vehicle in the drive.

So I am getting ready to bite the bullet and do a buy my unfinished project post on here or CL and write off the "hobby" as this is breaking my heart...........

29. larry k

larry k

as for any hobby, you will need to have your needs and your want's in line first, then all will be easy !!!;)