Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 F100 Build (First Truck!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratzkid, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

after 4 hours me turning a greasy-rusty color and a good sized hammer (; we got some parts moved around on my dads truck lol we switched the cabs, got the front wrap off and the 460 ready to go in lol :rolleyes:

this means my truck will be next to take the spot light :D we are going to get some metal to make the 390 motor mounts and i think I'm going to dig up a C6 to put behind there :p i think it would be kind of fun.

also i think I'm going to get a drop axel and lower it as much as possible without cutting anything (so like pulling leaves and getting a drop axel) so if someday down the road i want to put it back to original i can.

i will try too keep you updated me and dad have been working out there at night sense i am staying out of the sun. went to the pool with the girlfriend and a couple other friends and stayed there for 6 hours. my shoulders have blistered and are still peeling (this was a week ago) I'm on the 4th layer of skin peeling off :(

anyways id like to see your guises stuff and if you have any ideas let me know! I'm open to anything!!! :)

- Jake

2. Blake84

Blake84

Can't wait to see finished product. Here is my 1959 keep it up.

[​IMG]

3. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Well We have been busy.. I will post up some pics of some of what has been going on and he can fill toy in on the rest. we are getting the 60 striped and parts divided up. he has all the parts to finish up his truck and there is alot left so we sill be selling off hte rest. My turck is well on the way to being done. We are in the fitting stages on his 57. He has the rad support fitted and the ft inner wheel wells are on an fit good. the fenders are a little off and I suspect the cab mounts will need to be replaced so I am going to order sets for all the trucks as well as new rad support mounts. Here are som of the pics from the week end, I will get him to post the pics of his progress. I think he wore himself out working in the shop with me until 3:00 am friday and saturday night. I have to say though its fun working with him. Also he has discovered my parts stash :eek:. here are the pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Great project! '60 F-100 was my first, got it on my 16th birthday though. ;-) keep going!

5. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

They are great trucks! I love them! :)

Okay so I got out there a bit more! Lol I got the inner fenders and radiator support in and fitted, and they fit quite nice if I do.say so myself! :) and like dad (a4t1rat) said the fenders are a little screwey, it looks like the Cab mounts are shot so when we get those we should be good to fit fenders! ^_^

Also we are going to pick up some metal to make the 390 mounts, its gunna be fun! Ill get some pictyresposted when I get on the computer, because again, I am updateing you guys on my phone! :)

6. Looking good buddy.

7. I love the "Fridge" cab trucks but I also love the old Y-Blocks. I have nothing aginst a FE but here's an example of what the Y is capable of.

My '58

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/28gtzOJdHqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My '62 Uni. Different truck all together but listen to the Y-Block in it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u8HvqkP9xF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the two of them together.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h0uvMTOC5_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

x2 on the y blocks. i love fe's as well, but a y block is bitchin and those ^^ are fuckin nasty :D. mean soundin motors right there

9. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Awsome! :D

10. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Well time for a update ... My son really wants to do a full restoration on his 57 so its going on the back burner for a few so we can get all the parts collected. so He is building the 60 f100 right no as a old school hot rod. It will have a 292 4 speed. We will be lowering it with a Sid's dropped axle and a mild rear c and flipped axle. Work is under way and will be posting pics soon, but I need to find a factory trans cross member for the truck, so if anyone out there has won let us know... Pics coming soon.

11. Heatwavve

Heatwavve

Looks good me and my brother build a 1959 for my Dad when we were in college at the Body shop class he still has it 302 automatic.

12. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Well! I am back! School has been crazy this year, i have been enrolled into two college credit classes, and two AP classes as well, which is great, but that gives me no time for my poor truck! As well as adding a girlfriend into the picture, my time has been spent :rolleyes:

Also Winter this year was very cold, and with all the snow on the ground, i didnt get much time to work on it AT ALL! :mad:

So i have decided i want to do a FULL restore on my 57'. 100% stock and just absolutely beautiful. but we don't have the time for it at the moment. Therefor, i have taken the Blue 1960 F100. we lowered it down a bit and are starting to straighten the body up a bit.

All in All a very nice, straight truck. i plan to just lower it to the ground and put a 292 in it, that is kind of built with a cam and dual quads, or something kind of old school and fun.

Here it is, after we lowered it.:)
    [​IMG]

Front wrap off, and ready for motor! Does anyone have a tranny crossmember? the one in the 60' has gone missing!:mad:

[​IMG]

Anyways! sorry for the absence! i will be on here much more!:)

13. Cool, I like the new plan!

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like a pretty good idea. The '60 can be a parts runner while restoring the '57. Keep us posted!

15. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

P1010010.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010021.jpg

This was my 57 I built back in 1965. Had a early Cadillac engine, bored .120" over with Jahn's pistons, full race cam ( don't remember specs ), ported late model heads, my first set of headers that I built, dual AFB quads, and a Mallory ignition. It was coupled to a B&M 4 speed hydro trans and a 3.90:1 rear end.
    Everything under the hood was either chromed or anodized.
    The chassis was lowered via a dropped axle and softer rear leaves.
    The body had a custom peaked hood that was hydraulically operated, frenched headlights 5" deep, and Mustang tail lights. The interior had bucket seats with a custom console. The shifter and E-brake was form a B25 or B26 bomber bombay door levers. The top of the console was finned aluminum and the console ran from the rear window down and curved froward to the firewall.
    Wishing I still had it. sorry for the quality of the photos as they are shots of snap shots.

16. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Ok Guys we need a trans cross member.. anybody have one?
    Also we have the motor getting ready for paint its a nice rebuilt 1960 292 with a 4 speed
    [​IMG]
    Getting the firewall ready for paint, We should be ready to put it in this weekend but NEED that crossmember. no luck at junk yards around here so still on the hunt.

17. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Well! i got out there again today, and painted the motor and the inside of the inner fenders, and i must say, it looks really good!:rolleyes: very 50's/60's :D

Its the IronMan Motor!:eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

inner fenders, black and cleaned up!
    [​IMG]

oops..... forgot to put a rag underneath :eek:
    [​IMG]

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Don't sweat the rag, your "artwork" adds character! :D Btw the motor looks good, I like the original type parts on it.

19. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Well Got out there today, after going to the junkyard :D found a bunch of 65 ford parts and bronco parts!:) haha then we went to work on the cross member! took it out of Dads truck and then put it in mine and bolted everything down. then we touched up the paint and threw the motor in and got everything situated! getting really excited!!!!!:eek:

taking it out!
    [​IMG]

There shed be!
    [​IMG]

ANd everthing bolted down and in!!:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

FINALLY!!!!!

OahuEli likes this.
  20. Keep rockin dude!

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

How you going to run those exhaust manifolds in a truck?

22. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

I think i will just run it stock, then later down the road run duals with headers

23. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Hello All!

Just another updated, Yesterday i went out there and started bolting the fenders, and grill on and it looks REALLY good, i am getting very excited:D

[​IMG]
    Sorry Its an Instagram Picture!:rolleyes:

today i took the seat out of the truck to start cleaning the inside and it is actually very nice, a few holes, but no rust in the floor pans or anything like that:), however, there is a hole in the center of the dashboard for a stereo :mad: but other than that, awesome condition!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways! Can i see some of your guys trucks? and does anyone have some old parts for a 292? 3-twos Manifold or Dual Quads for it?:cool: i have decided i am going to make it an OLD school hot rod, with some of that weird fun stuff on it!:)

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  24. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Well, i got out there early this morning and got the truck out and pressure washed it, then washed it and it looks really good! :D

[​IMG]

Also i have put together a wiring harness and i am starting to get everything wired up. So far so good!:)

However, i do have a question for you guys about the heater...
    My truck had a newer heater in it that had a left and right vent heater, meaning one or the other side could be on, while the other wasnt. so it had a "L. Air" and a "R. Air" knob along with the knob that turns it on or off. however i have a stock heater that only seem to have one vent leaver. Am i missing something?:confused: or is this just an Option?:confused:

25. Looks very good kid.

26. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

She running yet? Love a fridge build on here always!

27. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

She's not running quite yet, a little more wiring, and a carb rebuild ad shed be there!:D

28. ChefMike

ChefMike

Happy Birthday ! good luck with the truck and don't forget to post photos as you work on it !

29. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Also! I did get out there today and got her practically sanded, a little more of hand sanding to go, there is a bit of body work to do, but smooth and straight!

Also i need some opinions and thoughts.
    I do have a 1960 hood for it. should i put it on it? However. i am looking at 59 hoods and i am seeing something fishy about mine. it doesn't have the ridge in the middle of the hood. unlike this one....? I have heard about these hoods, i read an article that they dont "exist" in fords inventory. But i have one, :confused: and to me they sound like a 59 mid-year hood where they changed the design of the hood.

[​IMG]

Even when i sanded the truck, its the same color as the rest of the body. I know back in the day, ford did some strange things like that, for example. my 1957 f100 has a 272 y block, with yellow and green paint like a 56'. I ran all the numbers on the block, and that is the stock motor that came with the truck. I also talked to an older friend that had one of these trucks in my area when he was in his 20s, and he said that ford did do stuff like that, if the truck was early enough for its year. My 57' was one of the first 200 made. could the 60 be early enough it for the year that it has a 59 hood?:confused:

30. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Well, i got out there today, finished sanding, then primed the truck, and it looks good! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whatcha think!?!?:)

OahuEli likes this.