Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Intakes and exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Interesting. That first picture is the one I have on my digger and is definitely a WC671. Aside from the length difference the popoff is different as well. Did Weiand make different run's with the same model number?

2. 73RR

73RR

Nothing from the 60's should be surprising considering what we have become accustomed to in the digital age...

Are we hot-rodders or school girls? make it fit!:D

3. Make it fit , ? ?
    Maybe there's more options but I see 3

1Make an adapter plate to reposition the blower more forward.
    This misaligns the charge hole by 1.25 rear and 1.25 front 2.5 total smaller. I don't like that much.

2 rework rear plate and add/make a spacer to the front & put a spacer on the coupling .
    Seems better but might look wired up front.

3 right manifold . Expensive reproduction of the typhoon or hunt for original,
    Or the new weiand

I believe the best of those 3 will be the correct manifold

Maybe there's more options and I have tunnel vision

4. If'n I were in your shoes I'd tackle option two, partially because I'm cheap, partially because that manifold is cool, and partially I the the changes will look fine. The rear plate looks pretty cool pruned. As far as the front, the spacer probably wouldn't look bad at all. Just my 2 cents.

5. 73RR

73RR

The '3' options are all viable, which one suits your own sensibilities?

1. Requires a chunk of aluminum and several hours machine time.
    Does the shift forward actually have a big/negative affect on the operation? What is the minimum amount of movement that will produce the 'cure' ?
    2. Not much material, but still plenty of machine time.
    3. What are the costs associated with each manifold option and how do these numbers compare to #1 and #2 ?

This is a street package, isn't it?

6. Well my supplier quoted 125.00 for a 3/4" 6061 plate for an adapter.
    The adapter plate is probably the least $ way to fix this but i also believe that making tge charge hole smaller is the least desirable consequent of any option.

I need a 1.25 shift to accommodate the swing arm vs water pump issue and to align the pulleys after the double groove spacer is installed. It's a Bbc short water pump on adapters with the deepest pulley that just rubs the pump body. A small shim will align this pulley with the second grove of the crank pulley. That's the minimum .

Maybe the charge hole misalignment is a non issue . Just seems that if 1.25" smaller wasn't a big deal, then nobody would bother to remove the itty bitty cross webs from the GMC cases "to eliminate restriction." It's pretty evident that someone drilled a series of 5/16 tapped holes in the center presumably for an adapter plate at some time in the past. They tried it , did it work or not work before ?

7. 73RR

73RR

Did it work or not, or was it just something done for mock-up or prototype evaulation? The universe is full of unanswered questions.:cool:

Having been around this car-thing for several decades and, perhaps like you, have seen people do (seemingly) silly or inconsequential modifications you just shake your head at and wonder "why". Often I have to ask myself if the mod is really needed or just some sort of one-up to keep the competition guessing.
    Unless you can run two very similar blower/manifold packages on a dyno (or perhaps a purpose built flow bench) then it will be near impossible to know if the 'itty-bitty' webs or the off-set mounting position actually have a negative affect.

I suggest putting the package together in a way that pleases you, your eye and your check book. (put those in any order you like...)

Keep us posted as you proceed.

8. Here's where it needs to be.
    The front blower bolt is damn near in perfect alignment with the valve cover bolt.

Is that about what you other guys have on your running setups ?

Attached Files:

9. Here's the third design
    And the repro , something happened to the pic up a few posts .

Attached Files:

10. ...

Attached Files:

11. Most of the WC671's I've seen had the popoff's on the bottom like that. Mine is the only one I've seen with the popoff at the front. Still I can't imagine the changed the rest of the dimensions on the casting for each change. I still haven't taken that picture of the pruned stock rear bearing plate, have I. Sorry...

12. Well the one I have is different. And a wc671 .

13. This isn't a great shot as the bellcrank is in the way but you can get an idea of what the pruned bearing plate looks like. There are round aluminum discs bolted on over the bearings. The manifold is the current Weiand which is just about the same as the model after the WC671

[​IMG]

14. Willys392

Willys392

not sure if this is the right spot for this but it does involve carburetion. My build consists of a '58 Chrysler 392, bored and stroked to 462. it has 10-1 compression, stock heads with stock valve sizes, Mallory Unilite ignition and Hot Heads single 4 barrell intake with Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm carb (72 primary jets, 4.5 power valve). The timing is 8* initial, 28* -30* all in by 3000. The problem is the engine pings at part throttle (around 3000 rpm). I initially had it at 10* initial but backed it down a couple to 8*. I'm using 94 octane. A friend of mine suggested a Holley 850 might work better. Any suggestions from those who know and have been there.

15. Does it have vacuum advance? If so is it connected to ported or main vacuum?

16. Willys392

Willys392

no vacuum advance. the cam is an Isky grind, .480 valve lift and 290 full duration.

17. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

What psi is the cranking pressure as checked with a compression tester? What water temperature does it run at? Have you tried colder heat range plugs?

18. 73RR

73RR

I'd suggest swapping in a vacuum dist and see how it acts.

19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice looks all business.

20. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I think a tunnel ram version would be cool. I'm just not into that Hot Heads intake with the pop off valve and interchangable tops.

21. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Attached Files:

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI likes this.
  22. hemiphil

hemiphil
    from australia

i have got 2 weiand wc671 manifolds, 1 is genuine weiand manifold with blower hold down hole missing, because it is on top of manifold bolt hole, other is aussie speed manifold, blower is bolted 7/8inch further forward, no holes clash, both manifolds have pop-offs in bottom.

23. 73RR

73RR

Interesting project.
    It may be a minor concern on my part, but it seems unfortunate that 'he', thus far, has failed to recogonize that the intake manifolds all interchange on oem setups and that an intake 'spacer' is only required when swapping heads. Hopefully he is using compatible block/heads as he whittles away.

"You would be correct. It will actually fit all three engines/blocks its just the 392 will require the use of a spacer to compensate for deck height difference just like how the BBC's are."

24. Willys392

Willys392

update on my part throttle ping problem. fuel level too low, adjusted float level and she is good to go. This is what happens when you overlook the basics, before you start tinkering with jets and power valves etc, and before you start ripping apart your distributor, get the basics down first. Now I have to contend wih a leaking freeze (frost, core) plug.
    I just keep telling myself I LOVE HOT RODS, I LOVE HOT RODS.

25. There's been lots of talk and static about factory freeze plugs leaking or popping out. Some guys swear up and down that its operator error on install because they have never had a problem. Others swear that no matter what they do, how well they do it, or how many times they do it that the freeze plugs leak or blow out. Happens on the dyno, happens on initial shakedowns and happens on 1/4 mile passes ( scary) Seems to be more prevalent on higher compression and boosted applications when the engine is pushed. Theories range from bad holes, dirty holes, to block flexing issues. Some have the holes machined to take Chevy style plugs before they leave the machine shop.
    The stainless ones that hotheads sells have been proven to end the issue no matter what the cause is. Since the problem is usually found after the car hits the road a easy solution is the HH plugs.

Yes basics first , always
    Glad you found it and ran off the ping issue.

26. 73RR

73RR

Guess that we have been 'lucky'. Or, perhaps we are just a bit anal about the install but, leaking plugs are just not an issue around here. Yes, we have finished the bore on many blocks and used 'cup' style pieces, and still no issues. We rarely resort to any type of plug with a mechanical fastener as part of the mix unless directed to by the owner.
    Personally, I just don't understand all of the chatter and claimed failures.

Tuck likes this.
  27. I've been running the steel stock style and have had no issues.

28. Me either but the same story from different folks pops up all over the place.
    For me personally, I've seen enough posts to worry about it. Especially gives me the willies when I think about it happening on the big end of the strip.
    But Like anything else to each their own and your mileage is going to very and you'll not have a problem until you do have a problem.

Steves32's current thread "392 questions" has mention of his plugs leaking.

Last edited: May 13, 2013