Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing 65 Chevelle windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, May 12, 2013.

1. ....any tips on removing an original 65 Chevelle windshield (in one piece!)?

got a 4-door I'm parting and a buddy wants the windshield which is very nice....anyone need any parts off a 4 door?...
    thanks

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv used piano wire and stainless mig wire
    Push it threw the glue - wrap each end to some sticks - pull and saw your way around …. Extra hands are helpful.
    Also cutting excess glue away - rubber blocks it sits on - and removing the clips off their little studs is a must.

If you take your time you will get it out un broken.

They make a tool for this but it mainly for glass guys removing bad glass

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  3. rember 4 door and 2 door glass may be different

4. thanks, it's goin into a 64 Chevelle wagon.

5. wacko1

wacko1
    from Wisconsin

I think this windshield has just a back seal with stainless trim retainer, no rubber channel. The glass guys will pull the trim, and fish a long (4-5') piece of piano wire behind the glass, and proceed to pull it through the seal to separate the glass from the rubber. I took my rear glass out of the 64 Chevelle. It came out easy because the seal was shot, but this did help.

6. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Don't be shocked if the wire curls up and breaks from time to time,just be very carefull around the corners. vise grips work best for holding the wire,and a helper is a must,keeping the wire tight against the glas and pull slowly,just like a two man log saw.I have cut out 100's of front and rear glass,have patience!!

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Piano wire will work as mentioned. This will work great also. Been trying to sell on ebay for $10.00 + shipping, but no takers. Stu

Attached Files:

8. Actually guitar strings work too...^^^^the cutter above is great, but you cannot find blades.....take off the cowl cover, it will give you more room at the bottom.

9. pastlane

pastlane

In the wrecking yard we used the cable from an inside hood release. Nice small diameter, stainless cable. Held up a lot better than the piano wire & already has a handle on one end.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've done it alone from inside the car with a putty knife. It takes quite a while, pushing it through between the butyl gasket and glass in one spot, pulling it back out and cleaning it with lacquer thinner, and then pushing it through again next to last spot.

Start at the top and then work your way down both sides. By then you should be able to push the top of the windshield out some and wedge some paint sticks in the gap to make the bottom pass a little easier to get to.

I usually work alone and have removed many windshields damage-free this way. Just take your time.

11. Anderson

Anderson

Done it numerous times with a box cutter. Cut all the way around the glass from the inside then cut from the outside and push it out gently. Takes 10 minutes.

12. lht

lht

yea i saw i guy at a yard do it like anderson said he cut it then pushed it out with his hands and feet guy was some kinda of contorshinesed

13. ...thanks for all the help guys.

14. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Measure height in the middle of the glass. Not sure, but I think the four door and wagons are different.

15. ...will do, you can never be too sure I guess.anybody else know for sure?
    Thanks

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

According to the Hollander Interchange Manual, all 64-65 Chevelle windshields will interchange no matter what body style.

17. Anderson

Anderson

'64-'67 a-body are all the same.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Thanks again.

19. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Piano wire will do it---use a sawing motion.

20. Just be sure it is cut fully before you start pushing. I cut one out of my 64 GTO years ago and got impatient with about an inch left. Ended up needing a new windshield...

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  21. At home I use piano wire (available at music stores) wrapped around wooden dowels. One time at the 'yard, I used a strand of e-brake cable and 2 pairs of vise grip pliers.

On a real hot day, it may tend to re-adhere itself. I use things like pieces of paint stirrers or other thin wood to keep it from doing so.

Bob