Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is your 10,000 lb two post lift safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Walling, May 11, 2013.

1. If you see it on the internet it must be true!

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

We have a Bend Pack 10,000 lb. asymmetrical 2 post lift, and it has all the proper certifications.
    It has been a very good investment!
    Never cut corners or try to save a couple of bucks when it comes to your safety!
    KK

3. i have a two post challenger lift. i have had my dodge diesel duelley extended cab 4x4 on it with no problem. they are american made and are about 2500.

4. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

I have sold and installed over 30 lifts from Greg Smith. Great guy to deal with, and is the highest volumn lift dealer in the country. Most of my sales are 10k, since they only cost a couple hundred more than the lighter ones. My favorite is the PV10, but the OH10 is easier to put together. I also sell Forward, and have had no problems, but they cost a little more. Almost every lift on the market today is made in China, including many of the Rotary lifts. There are good ones and bad ones. The PV10 is built like a tank. I sold one Direct lift- not at all impressed- didn't sell any more. If you're in the market, just go see as many as you can before you buy.

5. When it comes to a lift quality isnt expensive its priceless. To risk your life or car over a few hundred dollars is stupid. Buy a quality unit.

6. http://youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=zMzzIhNeC28

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=zMzzIhNeC28

7. mitchs66

mitchs66

I'm surprised no one has talked about Mohawk lifts out of Amsterdam, NY. My dad has had his for 22 years with no problems. Very well American built hoist, in my opinion top quality. www.mohawklifts.com

8. rld14

rld14

When I had my shop both of my lifts were 8500 pound capacity, we worked on a single brand of OT cars, heaviest of which was maybe 4700#s. Shop rule was no vehicle over 6500 on a lift. EVER.

Why chance it?

9. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

From the factory, they are usually about 7800 lbs or so. add in toolboxes, bigger tires, etc. and you're well over 8k

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked on the Greg Smith website & on the Atlas lift website, but couldn't find the country of origin on either. The Backyard Buddy website touts the fact that it's made in America.

11. 5window

5window

Pretty sure there are some incredibly able welders in China and some real louts in the USA. You need to look at the lift you are thinking of buying-touch it feel it taste it,maybe. Look at the steel, look at the welds, look at the hydraulic pump look at what kind of safety features it has and look for industry certification. This is not an internet purchase.

12. Piper106

Piper106

In the video, I recall they said that a 'proper' 10000 pound rated lift had to be able to lift 15000 pounds without failure, in other words, a 1.5X safety factor. In opinion, that is cutting things too close.

Other mechanical equipment usually carries a much higher safety factor. The current ASME pressure vessel code requires a 3.5X safety factor (use to be 4X). For example, when tested to destruction, a code vessel rated for 100 psig has to fail at 350 psig or higher. And the pressure vesssel code requires weld radiography (X-ray inspection) to use the 3.5X safety factor.

In my simple mind I would not take more than 4285 pounds up on an American made '10000 pound capacity' lift. (15000 pound 'safe' load divided by 3.5).

That is my opinion, your mileage may vary. Kids... don't try this at home.

13. My 7000# lift looks a lot stronger the that one guise that why I bought a usa made lift

14. Fenders

Fenders

You are correct, the ALI safety standard for lifts is 3X ...
    See pages 19 - 20...
    http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/Content/Site301/SmartProducts/AutomotiveVehic_00000000688.pdf
    Look for the gold label on any lift you buy.

15. tjm73

tjm73

I was about to post the same thing. A friend of my family has one in his shop and it's been in service for many, many years. Long enough to have a lift cylinder need replacement. Popped a new one in and it's been plugging along for another 5+ years now.