Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "A" Basket Case

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, May 12, 2013.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

Well, is sold my 28 A sedan cause i just wasn't into it. I really wanted a open wheeled hot rod. I came across a ad in a local paper for a 30-1 sedan body. I went, looked, bought, sold, kept some parts, went back and bought the rest of his parts. I sold some more, by now i'm money ahead. Went to a swap meet and bought this 29 coupe out of the back of a truck for $1500. By the time i figured it all up, i have about $500 in it after all the wheeling and dealing. YEAH!! As of know i'm about $1500 back into it as it sits.
    Got a ol Mordrop:
    [​IMG]
    Crossmembers and frame stuff:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ty johnson

ty johnson

What i started with:
    [​IMG]
    Built the frame. I swept the front 4" and kicked the rear 12". Using spring over front and rear. Found some 40's 16's and put 4.50's and 7.50's. Body channeled about 3"s and plan on a 5-6 inch chop.
    [​IMG]

3. Good move. I like it a lot.

4. pitman

pitman

Yikes! Did it come with any instructions? That was one well dis-sembled coupe.

5. jkherd

jkherd

:D Model A (some assembly required)

6. raidmagic

raidmagic

Wow great work.

7. Are you sure you want to chop it that much? I kinda like the way it looks right now, actually.

bengeltiger likes this.
  8. BrandonF

BrandonF

AMBITIOUS! Looking good. Your radiator works great.

9. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

Keep us posted as your build comes together. Looks good,

10. How much modeling glue did that take?:D

Looks good, keep posting.

11. lht

lht

wheelin and dealin gotta love it

12. shoebox50

shoebox50

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Mock-up looks good...

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool build I like it , keep feeding us photos ,

15. ty johnson

ty johnson

It's gonna take some work, that's for sure. Gotta send out the intake/carbs to dickster27 to get rebuilt. I have a nice mild 350 for the power plant. Dreddybear's build has inspired this build in a way.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yeah keep the pieces you cut out for the next owner. 4" is about the max

17. ty johnson

ty johnson

I was just researching and a 4" looks like it to be the max and still see. I had a 31 sedan that i chopped 6 and it was a pain in the ass. 4" with the 3" channel i think will be getting tight. I'm 5'9" so that'll help.

18. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

Nice work! I love to hear how some of you guys can pull off some of these builds for next to nothing. I buy and sell pas but I am not making enough to support my car habit.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The money goes back into the project or into other pieces that can be sold at a profit to increase the kitty for the project. They don't siphon off part of the money for other non project essential things either.

Years ago 80 percent of my hot rod budget came from side jobs and what I sold off that I didn't need for the project. I also hauled a lot of scrap metal that seemed to find it's way to me. Once I bought a 61 Chev 4 door for 100 bucks for the engine and trans, gave the body to my buddy for his wife to have a decent car and after helping him swap engines at my house on a Saturday I flat towed his old rusted out 59 Biscayne four door to the scrap yard and sold it for scrap. I got my engine, my buddy's cute redheaded wife got a decent car to drive and I got a fair share of my 100 bucks back in the process.
    Several times while living in Texas and a few times here I loaded up my extra parts and pieces and hauled them to a swap meet with only enough cash to pay for my spot. I had to sell off enough stuff to be able to buy anything at the swap meet and that didn't take any cash out of my household budget.

One last thing that most guys don't do is that for 34 years I never had a car payment. I'd usually acquire a car that needed work and repair it and drive it. I even had the same 350 Chevy and turbo 350 in four different vehicles over a four year time frame. I pulled it out of my 48 when I decided to put a big block in it, put it in a 64 Chevy Ragtop that someone else decided that they wanted to buy minus the engine for a profit, pulled the engine and put it in a 70 Chevy pickup that got totaled and the other person's insurance paid off and then put it in a 72 Chevelle hardtop that I bought for 100 bucks from a friend who had blown up the 307. We drove the Chevelle for a year and sold the whole thing.

The other thing is no debt for things that can wait. The big Tv and other items get bought with the tax return or money stashed for such purchases rather than monthly payments.

20. ty johnson

ty johnson

I only have my house payment and do a lot of side jobs to build my cars. But most of all it's finding parts on the cheap, then wheeling and dealing to make $ and still have the parts i need. Getting harder to find those parts anymore.

Gonna pull the body again and finish the frame this week. Then start back on the body squaring it up and patching holes.

21. ty johnson

ty johnson

Got most of the floor braces in. Taking it to a friend shop to finish the floors and trunk area. Also making a x member for the frame to mount the 36 radius rods from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. ty johnson

ty johnson

Been working on this pile. A little to update.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. ty johnson

ty johnson

Also have some patches put in. Still have to weld in the qtr patches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. ty johnson

ty johnson

Dickster27 worked magic on my carbs and intake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. ty johnson

ty johnson

26. bgaro

bgaro

5" go 5" its all about the seat.

27. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

You gotta love that intake and carbs! Nice job on everything your doing

28. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Cool build. I've got a 30 coupe in about the same "before" shape but I think I need to start with something more together...so it'll be going into the classifieds. I do wish I had the skills you have. And I would keep the chop to 4" max. Awesome intake/carb setup, that's going to look great. I'll keep watching.:)

29. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Excellent job on everything you're doing!

30. ty johnson

ty johnson

I was going to do 5 but talked myself into 4. Had one chopped 6 and it was a pain in the a$$.