Register now to get rid of these ads!

AB Shuman passed away today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rossodino34, May 10, 2013.

1. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

It was brought to my attention today another Hot Rod legend, AB Shuman passed away today. He was the real deal. May he rest in peace.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. rld14

rld14

Yes he was indeed. I had the pleasure to talk with him a few times, what an amazing man and it was an honor to have met him.

RIP :(

3. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

AB was a good man sad to hear he passed, for anybody that didn't know him he was Flatdog's partner with dons last blown flathead altered. Ab was the wheelmen. He also did the book "Cool cars with square roll bars" another cool guy lost.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is very sad news, AB had a great life, hope someone posts all the things he was envolved in. I'll miss his humor the most, sure was fun to know him. Thoughts and prayers going out to his family and friends. Bob

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Had the pleasure of knowing AB when he was a writer and than PR guy for Mercedes-Benz. A real gentleman and knowledgable about all facets of the car industry. As mentioned above, he and his brother wrote the definitive book on the east coast hot rod scene.

6. Great guy with a real nice personality. Super knowledgeable and yet very friendly. You never knew when he would pop up at an event many miles from home in his roadster. Big loss to the Northeast rod, custom and racing community. R.I.P. Arnie

7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Sorry to hear the news. Pedal to the metal Arnie.

8. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

9. Fred Hire

Fred Hire
    from Hudson,MA.

The Hot Rod and Automotive World has lost one of the great historians and a true icon. We in New England will be forever thankful for " COOL CARS SQUARE ROLL BARS "
    RIP..............Fred

10. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Great guy, he will be missed.
    I've known him since his days at MB.

11. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

How sad. Knew him from the Petersen days and bought his book which I considered a great historical recounting of how hot rodding developed on the East Coast. A neat guy, was A B Shuman. Rest in peace, brother. May your spirit soar with the angels!

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Arni will be greatly missed he was one hell of a great guy his passion for our Hot Rod history was huge. His competitive nature was inspiring I enjoyed seeing his pink T roadster at many East coast events. Shit this sucks!
    Ronnieroadster

13. A sad day indeed.I met him once at the Ty-Rods show.He had just came out with the book and was selling copies there.A friend of mine bought me a copy as he knew I probably wouldn't get over to where he was and he autographed it:"You must have some really great friends."
    Never knew he was associated with M-B;I worked for a dealer for more than 20 years. Rest in peace AB.

14. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Sad news he was a good writer. I really like Cool Cars Square Roll Bars.

15. F&J

F&J

x2, we are fortunate he tackled the work to do that book, and it's revised edition.. some important history saved.

16. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

"hope someone posts all the things he was envolved in. " - a tough task given the variety of his activities over the years, a full range most of us can only dream about. Editor of Hot Rod Magazine, and more recently involved with the 608 Lakester in LSR are just a couple I know of for sure.

I feel blessed to have had several quick chats since I first met him back around '04 or '05, a great brain to pick. Don't think he ever knew my name but he always seemed to see and speak to me first at any gathering where we happened to be at the same time. I'll miss keeping an eye out for that floppy hat and camera around his neck.

Ed

17. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

A.B was an awesome guy. He used to cruise his roadster to all the meets at 90+ MPH! Rest in peace Arnie

Randy

18. sololobo

sololobo

We have lost a great automotive historian and a industry legend. Magic words from this gentelman, R.I.P. brother. ~sololobo~

19. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Met AB at a Boston Area Roadsters meeting. he was showing the book. It was amazing! By him coming out with the book, a lot of people young and old have the chance to see New England hot rodding history that would have been lost. Thanks Arnie! God Bless and Rest In Peace!

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

I corresponded with A.B. on a regular basis because we are both involved in the same Bonneville car. I last heard from him on 5/9, Thursday and wondered why he didn't send an answer on Friday. I heard Fri nite of his passing.

RIP A.B.

We all miss you already. The road trips to Bonneville were filled with non-stop A.B. stories and humor. It was a privledge to spend two weeks with him every August.

Frank

21. Spike!

Spike!

I was sorry to hear of Arnie's passing. He was a great inspiration to me and Joe Alig when we tackled our book East VS West. He represented the New england area and the East coast in general very well with the book Cool cars, Square Rollbars. I was lucky enough to meet him and get an autographed author's copy of the book, and then have him track me down again at Bonneville in 2007. He will be missed, but his words will live on in print. He was the real deal for sure.

spike

22. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

I'd like to echo the previous sentiments. Arnie was a helluva guy, great conversationalist, writer, and historian of all things Automotive. Had the pleasure of being in his company many times over the last 10 plus years, in particular at The Salt in 2007. I'll always be proud to call him my dear friend.

23. Arnie was one of the 6 people that to be an honoree at the innaugural NHRA New England Hot Rod Reunion in September at New England Dragway.

I saw him in January at the Hudson nostalgia get together and he was so excited to be getting one of the lifetime achievement awards.

Arnie and his brother Bernie put a tremendous book together that specifically highlighted all of the early day events and people in New England in the old days and I am sure you have all looked at it.

I am so sorry A.B. Shuman is gone...

Don Roberts

24. flash

flash

Mr. Shuman was a tremendous help and influence to me. So glad I got to chat with him again at the meet this past January. He seemed to be in great health and spirits. This is pretty shocking news. He will be missed!

25. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

I never met him, but felt I knew him through "Square Roll Bars". I have worn the ink off of that book. God Bless.

26. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

27. A sweetheart of a guy, pure class. Always enjoyed taking to him. Great book, too.

28. Surfer ED

Surfer ED

One of my most prized possessions. I have great memories of hearing him tell of the early days of drag racing in New England.

[​IMG]

29. We will miss you Arnie...

Attached Files: