Register now to get rid of these ads!

magazine hunt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shadetree, May 12, 2013.

1. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Just needing some advice/opinions on what magazines you all are subscribed to, or recommend?
    I am not going to renew my current subscriptions.
    I finally tired of all the photos of 50 to 100 grand cars with 10 to 20 grand paint jobs, photographed just out of view of their ultra high dollar enclosed trailer, that transport it from one gold chain event to another!
    Or tech articles on how to have your manservant to polish your billet 24 inch wheels!

I looking for a mag which feature real cars and real people that built them with there own hands, on a blue coller working mans salary and drive them like they stole it.
    Any suggestions?

2. Your there and it doesn't cost anything,,,THE HAMB! :D HRP

3. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Yeah I am on here about everyday, and have learned alot, but my wife wont let me take the desktop pc to the bathroom with me! LOL

4. Just pick up some old Street Rodder magazine for reading in the john,,after reading use the pages to take care of business!:D

Seriously,,the only magazine I subscribe to is Rodder's Journal. HRP

5. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

I always thought street rodder mag,would be a good duel purpose mag! lol

Thanks,I will check out rodders journal

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  6. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Rod and custom, Rod and Kulture illustrated are my favorite after Rodders Journal

7. I really like Traditional Rod and Kulture.

8. rooman

rooman

X2 on that (and not just because I write for them)

Roo

9. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

The rodders journal and traditional rod and kulture are the best for traditional stuff. I've had subscriptions to Hot Rod and Rod and Custom since my grandpa got them for me as a kid and I enjoy them even if its all over the place style wise. As a teenager I used to love car craft for all the low buck builds and screwing around they did, but it's basically LS engines and new parts now...

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

I know how you feel I've stopped collecting the American Magazines for this reason there are a couple of Aussie mags that fill your bill Australian Street Rodding and Cruzin Magazine

11. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Hemmings, the original.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I love info in much older mags from the 50's up to about 1965.The mags have changed over the years as Ed's do,but they seemed to away from how to do it your self storys and mostly now; Buy "this" advertized in our mag, and here is how you intsall it,and thats the way its been now for about 30years+

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Rodders Journal is the only one worth a subscription IMO.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

As the '37 kid said above, Rodder's journal is as good as it gets! Dana Barlow above hit an even better one though - look around and start buying ANY pre1965 Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Rod & Custom mags you see and build a collection. I am constantly amazed that it seems the younger guys don't think of that as an option, then come on here and ask questions about how it was "back in the day" that could be easily answered just by turning a half dozen pages.

I also would STRONGLY suggest that you work up a collection of seventies Street Rodder mags as well, because there has in my opinion never been better tech written for our stuff than what was turned out during the Pat Ganahl era at SR, back before the 1-800 era started.

15. A Boner

A Boner

You can't go wrong with Hot Rod magazine.....David Freiburger is a hard core hot rod guy. There is always a bunch of interesting stuff in every issue. Some neat stuff from the archives, some of the latest tech, and everything in between.

Subscribe for as little as $10.00 a year! That's 84 cents an issue.

16. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

This is why they invented those tablet things...

:eek:

-W

17. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

If you're into kustoms, you can't beat Kustoms Illustrated!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a subscription to Hot rod for 51 years since my grandmother bought me one for my 12th birthday and renewed it until she passed away in 1975. These days it's really hit and miss as some issues I read cover to cover and some don't have one thing worth taking the time to read.

I subscribe to Rodder's Journal and Rod and Custom I buy Traditional Rod and Kulture and have to say that over the time I have been buying it it seems to improve in overall quality every issue. I don't buy the ones with how to screw up your ride with rusty parts or fake patina articles or too much "lifestyle" as compared to actual cars. Just give me some photos of good looking cars to glean ideas from and a couple of decent usable tech articles and I'm good.

19. farmer12

farmer12

The Rodders Journal is the only one I'm subscribed to.

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Rod and Custom, Car Kulture Delux

21. Thick enough if you only read it in the can, you'll be lucky to finish before the next one comes. Unless you are Al Bundy. :D

22. Spike!

Spike!

I recently subscribed to a magazine about migrating fish and birds called Transitional Cod and Vulture Illustrated. Its a fist full of pajamas!

Spike

23. 5window

5window

I actually get over 20 car,sports and general mags. TRJ is great-but you don't want it near a splashing toilet. CarCraft and Hotrod are fun and cheap enough to be hit and miss. I like CarCraft because, while they're not hotrods, they illustrate the build,tell you the part #'s and the cost. That's the onyl mag I get that does so. The Ridler type cars-great workmanship-but they're not hotrods or even street rods. They're machined pieces of art that someone with deep pockets that someone else build. I admire the style, but they are no closer to hot rods than tuners or low riders.

There's a site called freebizmags that keeps offering me free subscriptions, so I get StreetScene and LowRider and some others-always at least something interesting tio look at and the price is right.

24. ditto to that ! TRJ :D

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres your answer, right there.

And thats about all its worth. After buying Hot Rod virtually every month since the early seventies, I have pretty much given up on it. And the calibre of tech in there lately, christ, give me a break. What a fall from the tech article in the nineties, just asinine.:( I would currently rate Car Craft well above Hot Rod in terms of tech.

26. lht

lht

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

stop trying so hard to be one of the cool guys.

28. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

my Favorite is the dear departed CARS ILLUSTRATED

29. Am letting all my subscriptions lapse this year to busy actually building cars to look at ads in magazines..............keep getting call from them all asking me to renew at reduced rates but I'm through with them maybe too old but I have stacks of magazines with very few good articles in them any more.............
    the only thing I will renew is my Alliance membership........

30. A Boner

A Boner

Did you take the first step yet?